Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-30-2008, 09:51 PM

Default jasper & area - need suggestion on camping & fishing

Weve decided to take our kids and the new 5th wheel (38') camping to the jasper area the june 20-22 weekend. Any suggestions on camping locations and fishing spots? looking for fishing from shore at a lake or pond and a camp spot with decent privacy and power/water.

Also, do i need a special fishing licence for the park? what about my kids? (12 and 4). thanks!!
Old 05-30-2008, 10:53 PM

Hey there.... I do a lot of Camping in Jasper...usually in late august, I mainly tent or tent trailer it and stay at Snaring River Campground, this is a "primative" campground with no power or water hookups.

As far as fishing yes you will require a permit to fish in the national parks and the regs are different.
here is a link for the fishing regs.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/...visit14d_E.asp
This site will hopefully give you the info you need.

There are many different bodies of water to fish in and around jasper... for good whitefish fun try Snaring river at the campground or where it runs into the Athabasca. Make sure you read the regs and follow them carefully,
For the best info contact the folks at a place called Online sports and tackle in Jasper.

Here is a site and link for campgrounds in Jasper.
http://www.pc.gc.ca/pn-np/ab/jasper/visit/visit19_E.asp

With campsites i suggest that if you can reserve one do so.... as to ensure that you get a campsite that or leave thursday or the early friday morning.... over the years Jasper has turned into a zoo, especially over the long weekends.
Old 06-01-2008, 12:26 PM

thanks for the tips! I checked out the regs this morning and it says the following:

(It is unlawful to ) (quote)
"Fish with or possess within 100 metres of park waters
the following:
- natural bait and chemical attractants;
- any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under
50 grams;
- lures with more than 2 gang hooks"
(endquote)

Does this mean i cant use any weights at all, or do they make ones from other stuff then lead? also, what about a 5 diamonds or other type spoon or mepps spinner - dont they have 3 gang hooks? do you have to cut one off?

I booked a spot at Whisters campgorund to arrive thurs evening.....yeah, i figuew better selection of site that way.

Im used to camping with an old truck camper with my father or friends and doin the hardcore 'fish 10 hrs a day' thing......now that i have 2 little ones and mama wants to come along, we decided to buy this 38' monster to tow along. Its great for the space when youre inside and its also pretty cool to kick back after a long day out in the recliner and watch the tv.......i know, i know.....im gettin soft....haha.

I guess my biggest concern is finding where to fish on maligne since my wife and kids have their heart set on going there and what tackle to use.....ive been a walleye/pike fisherman my whole life.....my tacklebox is full of jigs and walleye divers - thats all ive ever used. For trout........i tried last weekend in kananaskis (my first tiem ever fishing for trout) at the mt lorrette ponds and caught two rainbow in the 2 hrs we were there. both on a green spoon. I do have a few spoons and mepps spinners, but the other fisherman were catching alot more than i was.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Here is a qoute from a website

ON-LINE SPORT & TACKLE
P.O. Box 730, Jasper AB T0E 1E0
600 Patricia Street
Phone: (780) 852-3630
Fax: (780) 852-4245
Email: online@incentre.net

"Celebrating our 20th Anniversary". On-Line Sports has everything for the great outdoors. Learn to fly fish in the Canadian Rockies. Guided fishing tours for rainbow, brook trout and northern pike. See and hear birds as never before on a guided birding tour. Visit our downtown location for Columbia sports wear, camping supplies and fishing tackle. We rent backcountry row boats and canoes. Skis - snowboards - snowshoes - rental and repair available.

Go in and talk to the folks in the BACK of Online sports and tackle.... careful they don't over sell you anything,..... your best bet is to try a fly with a coat hanger tied on the line a foot below... this always works...

Come on everyone, lets help this Sunvale criminal...lol have a great fishing trip.
Old 06-01-2008, 08:38 PM

lol......thanks for the encouragement.....yeah, i emailed that store today and they told me to come see them the day before i go fishing there so that they could set me up with some info and stuff if i needed it. I think im gonna stick to the spin rod for now......no flys for me......or were you talking about a fly from my sprinrod????? ive heard yu can run a fly off of a spinrod with a small weight on it so it sits near the top of the water...

thanks!
Old 06-01-2008, 08:39 PM

oh...............and thanks....................by the way......................for your 'criminal' smack!!!
Old 06-01-2008, 09:20 PM

Default Online Sports are very

well respected. Mike the owner and George the main guide are super guys and will not steer you wrong or oversell you. They have always treated me very very well. George is the most respected Lake Trout guide on Maligne by the way. Jasper receives huge amounts of fishing pressure so don't expect to much. Try Horseshoe Lake (10 minutes south) or Talbot Lake east of Town has good fishing for Pike. Most of all enjoy your weekend!!! I usually stay at Wapiti Campground as it is on the Athabasca River and I like the sound of the water. This is just across the Hwy from Whistlers.
Never use power and water-I use my own generator if necessary.
T
Old 06-01-2008, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyvalesmostwanted View Post
thanks for the tips! I checked out the regs this morning and it says the following:

(It is unlawful to ) (quote)
"Fish with or possess within 100 metres of park waters
the following:
- natural bait and chemical attractants;
- any lead tackle (sinkers, jigs, lures and flies) under
50 grams;
- lures with more than 2 gang hooks"
(endquote)

Does this mean i cant use any weights at all, or do they make ones from other stuff then lead? also, what about a 5 diamonds or other type spoon or mepps spinner - dont they have 3 gang hooks? do you have to cut one off?
You can get weights now that are lead free, I'm not sure what they are made of but they seem to work just as well. You can pick them up at any regular tackle shop you might just have to ask for someone to point them out as they look identical to the lead ones.
The spoons and spinners will only have the one gang hook so no need to worry if thats all that you are using. Lot's of wigglers and plugs will have multiple gang hooks. I would not take any of them off as they don't have the same action once removed, with the hook removed it must affect the balance of it. Just don't use them.
Hope this helps a bit.
Old 06-02-2008, 08:49 AM

The ice is just coming off Maligne now, so it should be very good fishing this weekend while you are here. This time of year, the fishing is best in the first few km's of the lake, no need to race down the lake. Most people are using weight-forward fast-sinking fly lines, trolling Doc Spratley's or similar patterns. Rapalas work well, try a small perch pattern Husky Jerk. Also, if using a spinning rod, troll a Williams Wabbler with a fly about four feet behind it. If you are going to Maligne, you really should fish with a boat. You can rent from On Line, or Maligne Tours at the lake. A word of caution, tackle is expensive at On Line, but they do have the best selection in Jasper. Source for Sports also carries some tackle and may rent boats for Curries Guiding. I'll probably be fishing up there this weekend, I'll be in one of the 10 or so cedarstrip freighters working Home Bay.
PS - Don't go fishing at Horseshoe Lake, it doesn't open until July 1.
What night is the cheeseburger picnic?
Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 AM

thanks for the advice.........let me know how you made out.,

also, where is the 'start; of the lake? you said not to go to the 'other end' of the lake to fish....im not all that familiiar with the lake but it look slike theres 2 or 3 lake access points from the maps ive seen. Ya, i planned on renting a boat while im there so any tips/hotspots are gratly appreciated. thanks

oh, and btw.........im not sure if the picnic is a go yet or not.......that drunk fricken bastard leahy is being a jerk again and threatened to shut us down!!
Old 06-02-2008, 06:46 PM

You just let me worry about Lahey and the Dirty Onion-ring Bastard Randy..... have your self a great trip.... be sure to take some pics.
Old 06-03-2008, 08:33 AM

Maligne Lake is 50km from Jasper, and when you approach the Lake there are two parking lots on the left. If you are renting a boat from Maligne Tours or taking a tour boat ride, park in one of these parking lots. The boat rentals are handled from the boathouse, boat tours from the chalet which also has a gift shop and cafeteria. If you are renting a boat from a business in Jasper, keep going past these parking lots and the chalet, across the bridge(stop and check out the rainbows that are spawning on the lake side of the bridge - no fishing), the boat launch and parking lot will be on your left. The rental boats are chained up along the shore by the boat launch. The best fishing will be in this end of the lake. The ice just came off the lake, so the fishing will be very good until the lake turns over, sometime next week. Watch out for the Onion Ring Sasquatch and Cheese Burger Walrus!
Me and Bubbles hangin' at his bar in Halifax.

Last edited by Big Bull; 06-03-2008 at 09:29 AM.