Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 09-01-2008, 01:11 AM

Default Tree stand shooting. :D

Hey guys,

I recently purchased a BowTech Allegiance and i couldnt be happier, its a very nice bow. But upcoming opening day for me is right around the corner and i got my elk plan all set up.

I got a stand about 12' in the tree and im wondering how shooting from a tree stand is different from shooting on the ground. This is my first time shooting from the stand let alone sitting in one.

I'm wondering if i have elk,deer,moose come in....at 20,30,40 yards do i just aim as i would on the ground? Or do i take the height im at into play and maybe aim a tad lower or higher?

I was told that your arrow travels higher from the treestand so you account for that.

Any help or advice would be great.

SteveY
Old 09-01-2008, 09:12 AM

Default Physics only comes into play over long distances

Hey,

If you are shooting 20, 30, 40, or 50 yards at game from a treestand with your bow just aim as if you were shooting 30 yards on the ground. It's still a 30 yard shot its just your shooting down on the animal.

The only time physics becomes an issue for downhill and uphill shooting is when you trying to carrry a bullet accross a canyon for those crazy 400 yard shots at huge open country mule deer. Over that kind of distance you have take into count the forces of gravity etc etc.

I have shot lots of critters and lots of 3D targets out of trees stands all the way out to 50 yards and I just aim and shoot the shot the same as I do on the ground.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

BRC
Old 09-01-2008, 10:35 AM

The best option is to practice for an elevated platform to discover the following, shooting from a treestand is different.

If you use your range finder from your stand of range 26 yards, you should probably shoot it about 24 yards (because that's the horizantal distance from the base of the platform to the target ... and since gravity pulls straight down, it can only affect your arrow for 24 yards, not 26.

While hunting its best to aim where you want the arrow to exit on the following side. The arrow will always hit high when shooting from a stand. Up to 40 yards, you should be good aiming a little high if you stand is 15-20' up.

Now shots under 5 yards, straight down are even trickier so make sure to practice those.
Old 09-01-2008, 10:50 AM

In my experience when I don't practise shooting from an elevated position I usually end up shooting high most of the time. So if you can practise before you head out it will help you lots (especially when you throw in buck fever). The other thing I would suggest is to move your tree stand up a little higher between 16 to 20 feet. At 12 feet I think youre gonna get busted more often than not. Cheers
Old 09-01-2008, 02:18 PM

Default I still believe aim where you would on the ground

The only thing that gets tricky is figuringing out your shot placement with regards to the position of the vitals when looking at an animal from above. Otherwise everything is the same.

I practice this alot on 3D targets and it pays off in the hunting season.

Cheers
Old 09-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Hoochie Papa

If it gets to be a pretty steep angle, remember to bend at the waist. Then put your pin right on him. If you just lower your bow arm and stay standing straight, you will shoot high, because now you are changing all your angles.