Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2011, 09:24 PM

Default Advice on Fly Fishing Blackstone/Wapiabi

I will be at the Blackstone/ Wapiabi junction this coming weekend. Supposed to be a good spot according to Barry Mitchell's book, although last time we were there in June we had a hard time of it. If anybody has any experience fishing this area, advice is definately appreciated.
Old 08-23-2011, 02:54 AM

High floating dries for the Cutts and streamers for the Bulls, pretty standard stuff for freestone rivers. Actually, I've caught smaller bulls in this area on dries as well, which is always a possiblility on both the Blackstone and Wapiabi. If you're spin fishing the usual spinners/spoons may be alright but floating a nymph under some sort of indicator might be a better idea. I've fished this river with spin fisherman in the past and outfished them 10 to 1 so flyfishing would be your best bet. Dont be afraid to get off the beaten path, anything just upstream of the campground gets hit pretty hard, mix in a drive if you have time...
Old 08-23-2011, 07:48 PM

I'm going to be staying upstream of the campground anyway so that will be a good start I hope and then work my way upstream from there. I think I'll try to use dry flies on my way up and then a streamer on the way back down.

Does anybody know how the fishing is in the Chungo Creek in that area?

Also can anybody tell me if the hoppers will be out and about this time of year in that area? Or what other dry fly might be a good choice?

Thanks for the tips!
Old 08-28-2011, 10:12 PM

Fishing was good, caught lots of Rockies. Seen a big bull in a deep pull that no matter what streamer I tried could never get any interest out of him, but as soon as we hooked a fish, he would appear out of the deep like a shark and you had to steer your catch away from him to reel it in!

Fish were going after small foam hoppers pretty agressively and I also caught one on a bead head pheasant tail.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlessFool View Post
Fishing was good, caught lots of Rockies. Seen a big bull in a deep pull that no matter what streamer I tried could never get any interest out of him, but as soon as we hooked a fish, he would appear out of the deep like a shark and you had to steer your catch away from him to reel it in!

Fish were going after small foam hoppers pretty agressively and I also caught one on a bead head pheasant tail.
yeah that happens come back at dusk or early morning and he will take anything
Old 08-28-2011, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishlessFool View Post
Fishing was good, caught lots of Rockies. Seen a big bull in a deep pull that no matter what streamer I tried could never get any interest out of him, but as soon as we hooked a fish, he would appear out of the deep like a shark and you had to steer your catch away from him to reel it in!Fish were going after small foam hoppers pretty agressively and I also caught one on a bead head pheasant tail.
Go BIG or go Home
Old 08-29-2011, 06:54 AM

I tried using some bit baitfish patterns that I had originally bought for pike, one of them was almost 8" long. I tried all sorts of retrieves and nothing. But as soon as I hooked another Rocky, it was like that big bull could sense that another fish was in distress and he'd come looking for an easy meal.

Next time maybe I'll just let him try to eat my catch and see if I hook him. Is that considered fishing with bait? haha.
Old 09-10-2013, 03:24 PM

I cannot find any info on the Wapiabi river. Is it fishable?