Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-01-2008, 09:23 PM

Default Dolberg-Next weekend

was thinking of going to try Dolberg next weekend for the day.Has anyone been up there yet?If so how was it?
If anyone is going or wanna go let me know.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:31 PM

Default found it slow but the group on the dock were doing

just fine. Fish finder said there weren't many fish so who knows.
Old 06-01-2008, 09:38 PM

i was at Muir and WOW was there alot of ppl...Does anyone know where or how to get to Salter's lake ?
All i heard is that it's by Onoway,if anyone knows can you give some direction on how to get there...Thanks
Old 06-02-2008, 11:18 AM

Default dolberg

Last time i was out there i hiked left of the dock about half a kilometer and the fishing was just about to get underway when a grizzly chased the girlfriend and i out of the bush, so heads up from what i know they still havnt trapped him and he hangs around between there and thunder, but that lake always produces good numbers for me, early in the season its all big minnows but later on you can catch some nice rainbows.
Old 06-02-2008, 01:33 PM

This is my way of fishing this lake.........fish it early after the ice goes out until they stock it or the lake turns over and do go for larger to moderate fish with lots of last year stockers.......summer fishing is good for smaller fish and the fall picks up and is into bigger fish..........so i fish it early after ice out and then in the fall
Old 06-03-2008, 11:28 AM

great fishing at dolburg...some nice sized bows....hit it early and use a slip bobber rig...
Old 06-03-2008, 06:39 PM

i'm gonna go try flies,hopefully that works out.I think leech patterns should work fine
Old 06-03-2008, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy198 View Post
i'm gonna go try flies,hopefully that works out.I think leech patterns should work fine
Noticed some Dragon Flies out already, try tying some 52 buicks `Lumpy`
6-8 inch stripping should also work .
Old 06-03-2008, 08:26 PM

I've never had luck or tried enough to fish dragons,but if i use the 52 or others how is the best way?Do i use a full sink line and let it drop to the bottom then retrieve with strips?Can i troll this fly?..Thanks
Old 06-04-2008, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy198 View Post
I've never had luck or tried enough to fish dragons,but if i use the 52 or others how is the best way?Do i use a full sink line and let it drop to the bottom then retrieve with strips?Can i troll this fly?..Thanks

NOt my choice for a dragon as the 52 buick was tied for a damsel imtation for carson lake years ago............not saying that the fish won't take it, it is i have found better patterns for dragons..........r u tying yourself or buying if so there is actually 3 diffrent types of dragons and then u would fish 3 diffrent patterns for them......the mud dwellers are called gombus dragons which hang out on the bottom and they are short and fat, the second type i can't remember the last two names but the second one is longer and more streamlined and will migrate to all depths of the water and the third one is the king of all kings as he is large nymphs up to 3 or 4 inchs long.

When dragons head to shed there skin and become a flying adult from a nymph what they do is migrate to the shallow water where there is reeds or weeds and climb up the weeds or reeds and shed there skin. So as they are migrating in at this time what u do is cast as nymph dragon from close to reeds to outside of the lake and retrieve back towards you.........trolling will work as long as you find the right depth of water the fish are in at by going in and out of diffrent depth you should be able to figure it out.

The dragon migration when they become adults is usually a very short window like 7-10 days and this is when the fish concentrate on the dragons alot........in otherwards if you are having no luck with a dragon either you are to late for the dragons or you are in the wrong depth of water or you are using the wrong pattern or technic.

Sorry being long winded but if you are going to dolberg you might have better luck fishing chronies as this lake is a great lake for them and they hatch like crazy ther, also the backswimmers are very heavy in this lake but at this time of the year you should be at the end of them.

Minnow patterns work very well in this lake trolling or casting, leach patterns work very well to......the reason why leach patterns work very well is the heacy chronie hatch the fish swim around with there mouth open and get a big wad of them in there mouth so they find a leach to wash them down.......so if u don't fish cronies and they are hatching threw on a leach and away you go.

There is many flys that work well in this lake, i find u catch fish on just about any fly but there is times that they key more in on cetain flys and even if u r catching fish with the pattern u r usuing doesn't mean that is the answer unless u r catching bigger fish then u switch until u start catching the bigger fish as they are more fussy.

I hope this helps you out i kinda got carried away