Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 08-14-2008, 08:38 AM

Default Suggestions on a new bow

looking for suggestions on a new hunting bow, I have done a little hunting with my Golden Eagle but time to upgrade. I was thinking of a mathews but looking for other suggestions.
Me and my son went to see Rocky Jacobsen at Pipestone Archery in Millet last night, Rocky was great seminar went on for about 2 1/2 hours,

Thanks and good hunting
Old 08-14-2008, 09:18 AM

you really have to try them all out yourself, I used to have a PSE then Hoyt, had my heart set on a Bowtech after all the people I polled and made suggestions. Finally went in and tried a bunch, only to settle on a Mathews. Never liked them before but it felt right in my hands and was compact compared to the Bowtechs. My buddies bought different ones based on feel, budget, speed & looks. Best suggestion is go in and spend an hour shooting all kinds, if they don't let you...go somewhere that will. Good luck and have fun!
Old 08-14-2008, 09:19 AM
Hoochie Papa

I was there last night too. I tried to get there a little earlier to check out his selection of bows. I gotta say I was a little dissapointed. He didn't have much of a selection. A couple of APA, couple Bowtech, couple Kodiak, and a few assorted singles.
I think the places to go in the north are either Sherwood Park or Trophy Ridge.
One new bow I am interested in looking at is Bowtech's Flatliner. The package is $650.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:53 AM

I just picked up a fire cat by Martin great bow super fast and inexpensive very happy with it.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post
I was there last night too. I tried to get there a little earlier to check out his selection of bows. I gotta say I was a little dissapointed. He didn't have much of a selection. A couple of APA, couple Bowtech, couple Kodiak, and a few assorted singles.
I think the places to go in the north are either Sherwood Park or Trophy Ridge.
One new bow I am interested in looking at is Bowtech's Flatliner. The package is $650.
Yeah Jim didn't have a very large selection there, I went early so I could try out the APA's, nice bows to shoot, but a bit pricey. I'm going to go to Jim Bows this weekend in Calgary. If you looking for a Bowtech, he'll probably have it there to try. Good guy to deal with as well.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:57 AM

Do yourself a favor, and get a Mathews - you won't regret it. Donnie at Whitetail Ridge can hook you up. He also usually has a good selection of used bows.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:06 PM

pipestone never really has had a very good selection, dallas at sherwood park and jim at jim bows have great selection and you can shoot there donnie in debolt is awfully far to drive when you can do it within a few hours from most places in central alberta
Old 08-14-2008, 02:50 PM

might want to look at Darton bows. I shoot a darton Vapour and love it. Have a look at the maurauder and pro 3000. Just a thought. You have to find what works for you.
Old 08-14-2008, 03:25 PM

Look - all the 'top' brands are good - PSE, Fred Bear, Hoyt, Mathews, Darton, Bowtech, etc.

A bow is very personal tool, my only advice is to shoot many bows as you can within your limits (price, quality, etc) and buy the one that feels the most natural. When you are bow hunting everything should be as automatic as possible and having your bow, form, position and draw as natural and automatic (to you) as possible will increase your chances of making it count when the moment comes. A bow that good for me, might not be good for you.

Start off shooting all types of bows, longer bows, single cam, double cam, recurve, shorter bows, parallel limbs, lighter bows, etc ... and start narrowing down the type with what feels best.

I aggree with the above, last night I was not impressed with Pipestones selection. Although he has a few on consignment I think. You never know what going to feel right. I originally bought mine at Sherwood park archery lanes. I had called ahead of time and told him I would need about 4 hours with someone and I was right. Shot about 10 bows, eventually settled on a PSE thunderbold because it felts the best. 6 years later, 6 kills later I still love my bow and have always shot well with it.

I hear nothing but good times from Trophy Book (Spruce Grove), Jim's bows and Sherwood Park Archery.
Old 08-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Hoochie Papa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hunter Trav View Post
Yeah Jim didn't have a very large selection there, I went early so I could try out the APA's, nice bows to shoot, but a bit pricey. I'm going to go to Jim Bows this weekend in Calgary. If you looking for a Bowtech, he'll probably have it there to try. Good guy to deal with as well.
My rig is shutting down for the weekend to wait on next lease, so I'm burning home. I'll be in Jim Bows either tomorrow or Monday.
Old 08-14-2008, 08:53 PM

I agree they didnt have much of a selection at Pipstone I steal walked away with some of Rockies products, Calls, Videos, etc. I also agree I need to go and try several bows, I havent been to Sherwood park yet, only to Trophy Book, Who else is in or near Edmonton?
Thanks
Old 08-14-2008, 09:03 PM

wholesale sports (boo .. I've never liked them)

My 2 cents.

Can't go wrong with Trophy Book and/or Sherwood Park.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:57 PM

I bought the DXT and like it....altho its about 20 f/s slower than i was hoping..... since its such a short axle to axle bow you have to shoot a "D" loop which knocks almost an inch off your draw lenth i am shooting 28.5 inch 70# 5.4 grains per lb = 289f/s

Skip Sherwood Park,save your money... ... good old Dan and Joe wont see me there again. The new managment at Spruce rove seems down to earth finally...almost a new store aswell.
Old 08-15-2008, 09:01 AM

Quote:
My rig is shutting down for the weekend to wait on next lease, so I'm burning home. I'll be in Jim Bows either tomorrow or Monday.
Jim Bows is closed sunday and monday, here's his store hours, I copied them from his website...

Tue. - Fri. 11-9

Saturday 11-5
Old 08-15-2008, 09:11 AM
Hoochie Papa

Ya, I was just on his page and saw that.
Just trying to tie up some loose ends here, and go today. Should be there around noon.
Old 08-15-2008, 11:37 AM

I came across this site which may be of some use:

http://www.huntersfriend.com/

The technical help menu options has bow comparisons.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:30 PM
Hoochie Papa

Ya....that took all of 10 minutes. Walked into JimBows, looked around a bit. Saw the X-ForceSS was on sale, so I flung a few arrows from it. Too much work, and not enough fun to shoot. And whacked my arm something fierce. He wanted to show me a different one. I said I need to stay around $700. He pulls out an Allegiance. 3 arrows was all it took. HOOKED. Problem was it was more than $700. But Jim worked a little magic, and here I sit at home cuddling my new bow right now.

I"m very happy with the service I got today. Second to none.
Old 08-15-2008, 03:33 PM

good work. Jealous.
Old 08-15-2008, 06:04 PM

The Bows are going out as fast as they are coming in at the Red Deer Archery Centre (403-343-1153). This month alone, they have sold over 80 dozen arrows in preparation for the hunting season. They carry the top end bows and if there is something they don't have, they are on the phone with connections they have to get them in within 2-3 days. It is one very busy and respected location and IMO the best service shop I've been in. They also carry second hand (consignment bows) either stripped down or in a package which may help some guys or gals out.

I have a lot of respect for Jim at Jimbo's and the gang at Spruce Grove Trophy Book.........but absolutely have no need to go farther than Red Deer Archery Centre There service is there long after you have bought a bow.

One of the big rages out there right now on bows is the new PSE bows (Dream Season and X-Force)....great spead, quiet and accurate. Can't go wrong with Mathews or BowTech. There are more manufactures that they carry as well but I'm just not that familier with them.

Good luck and happy hunting.........Marco
Old 08-16-2008, 03:41 PM

Default Bows

My friend wants to get into archery. We were in the U.S. just recently, so we were in several archery shops. The problem is that my friend has a 32" draw length and none of these shops had a bow with this DL for him to try out. He did try a Fred Bear Lights Out set at 31" at Cabalas, but the DL looked to short IMO. The sales guy was no help there, in fact he had the bow set at 73lbs which I thought was rediculous. I told this guy it was set to high, but nothing was done, so we didnt even bother looking there any more. I will take my friend to a few bow shops around Edmonton and see what they can do. I got my bow from Trophy Book and I got great service. Time is running out for him to get a bow in time for lots of practice and hunting season. Any suggestions?
Old 08-18-2008, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Ya....that took all of 10 minutes. Walked into JimBows, looked around a bit. Saw the X-ForceSS was on sale, so I flung a few arrows from it. Too much work, and not enough fun to shoot. And whacked my arm something fierce. He wanted to show me a different one. I said I need to stay around $700. He pulls out an Allegiance. 3 arrows was all it took. HOOKED. Problem was it was more than $700. But Jim worked a little magic, and here I sit at home cuddling my new bow right now.

I"m very happy with the service I got today. Second to none.
Yup, Jim is a great guy to deal with forsure. I was able to get my limbs on warranty, and they will be here before the start of the season. So no new Allegiance for me this year, but thats cool, I can buy more accesories. Glad to hear your setup for the season Hoochie.
Old 08-19-2008, 05:18 PM

Are there new owners at Trophy Book in Spruce Grove, I know they were trying to sell?
Old 08-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Banned

Default Golden eagle

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpineman View Post
looking for suggestions on a new hunting bow, I have done a little hunting with my Golden Eagle but time to upgrade. I was thinking of a mathews but looking for other suggestions.
Me and my son went to see Rocky Jacobsen at Pipestone Archery in Millet last night, Rocky was great seminar went on for about 2 1/2 hours,

Thanks and good hunting
I have a Golden Eagle "Hunter" bow which I purchased in 1986. It was one of, if not the first compound bow to come out with the recurve limbs and was also one of very few bows made then with a 31-32" DL. At the time I was shooting with fingers (I now use a release) and the long axle to axle length made shooting much easier on the fingers as well.Over the past 20 years I have looked at, and shot many different bows thinking I would upgrade to something better. What I found was quite a few bows that were faster but I still have not found one that is smoother. IMO the cam bows have definetly increased your arrow speed but you still can't beat the old wheel bows for smoothness.It still shoots where I aim, so I think I am going to stick with it.
Old 08-24-2008, 11:17 PM

Default good deal

Try Gerry's archery supplies at 780 2990080-the best deals you can find.
A very nice guy and plus 3d range.Give him a call you won't be sorry!
Old 08-25-2008, 09:52 AM

Default Bow Tests

If you follow the link I've pasted here, they've done a comprehensive test on 10 brand new bows. It's definitely worth the read.
Good luck with your purchase!
http://www.bowsite.com/
Old 08-25-2008, 09:01 PM

Gotta agree with SugarCreek about Red Deer Archery Center. I got a shiney new Hoyt Katera in the mail last week, but it needed some stuff to be shootable. Went in to the Archery Centre and even though they were ridicoulously busy ( a certain member here was chatting them up too ) they managed to get me what i wanted, cut some arrows for me, mount my accessories and get me out the door while i waited. i suppose i could have stuc around a bit to shoot, but i was in a hurry as i snuck out of work to be there. The only thing they could improve on is hours of operation, kinda tough for the average working man to catch them open.
Old 09-04-2008, 12:48 PM

all bows are fast now, just gotta go shoot some and see what feels right and go from there, myself i shoot a tribute from bowtech. Big timber in G.P carries bows and he knows his stuff. buy all my arrows off him