Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-03-2013, 07:56 PM
Banned

When I was in Ontario this summer, I hit up a couple of my old haunts and was surprised to see that signs had been installed at many of the road access spots by a local conservation organization.

They stated the regs, had pictures of the fish you were likely to catch and encouraged fishermen to catch and release.

Considering the amount of traffic some spots in alberta get, for example at the forks, spots along the NSR, the bow etc etc

The cost to erect a sign is a small price.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:26 PM

Thumbs up It's not the regs...

The regulations is the wrong thing to be concerned about if a guy keeps a walleye here or there. The problem in alberta is too many people for the number of lakes and too intensive use of the landscape. Lake isle for instance is not because of over fishing it's because of nutrient loading, The bath at alberta beach didn't happen as planned because the lake finally said enough is enough. Watershed management should be more of a focus than micro managing water bodies as to how many walleye or goldeye u can keep. The best example of this is the battle river---used to be plentiful with big goldeye and walleye and now it's a slow moving slough that's DEAD. No water flow--spring fed and pollution--no riparian zones along the river, nutrient loading, irrigation?? run-off chemicals and manure. I fished the red deer river from content bridge to drum last year and was shocked to see cattle still headed down to the river to erode the banks etc. and lots of stretches with no riparian zones. Take a look at the big picture. Another great example is the Beaverlodge River which used to have great graylibg runs, which is down to nothing. Fish can't flourish in pollution. If the waterbody/watershed is healthy it will produce lots of and big fish. The regulations are always playing catch up on what is actually happening. They tell u where to go fishing. One lake has a limit of 3 and one has a limit of one and u want quantity that u will go to the lake with the bigger limit. The regulations for the whole province should be on a one piece of paper. Theres no money for fish management in this province so it's a game of catch up. A lake is collapsing than we better go do a quick creel survey and figure out whats going on and than raise the limit to protect the fish. STOP THE MICRO MANAGING AND START MANAGING INDUSTRY AND THE WATERSHED!! Take a look at mike sullivan's slide show THE LAST GOLDEYE heres the link:
http://www.laclanonnewatershed.com/d...%20Goldeye.pdf
:snapoutofi t:
Old 09-03-2013, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
When I was in Ontario this summer, I hit up a couple of my old haunts and was surprised to see that signs had been installed at many of the road access spots by a local conservation organization.
They stated the regs, had pictures of the fish you were likely to catch and encouraged fishermen to catch and release.
Considering the amount of traffic some spots in alberta get, for example at the forks, spots along the NSR, the bow etc etc
The cost to erect a sign is a small price.
Many years ago signs where put up, paid for by private clubs, they don't last long. There are some new ones posted on the North west streams that I've seen that where put there in the spring. Many many are badly damaged, torn down or defaced. Its as if they take them down then they don't have to follow the regs. Rather disgusting.

When I was in BC this summer I fished a favorite lake that has a no barbed hooks sign that has to be 40 years old with no damage, just weathered.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 09-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Banned

Cool

Here in alberta water is not the most precious liquid. Lakes are for tony soprano cabins and the most expensive boat you can use for 4months, rivers are for who can put the most hp infront if a jet and creeks and streams are for who can put the highest lift over a set of the largest rubber known to man (out side of the monster truck circut) or cleanig your quad . If you speak out aginst the staus quo your a hippy, if you do somthing to change the status quo
Your a commie liberal. if you hold rivers and lakes with the fish that dwell within dear your a tree hugg'en granola muncher. We use water to produce petrochem, if wanna fish get a real job and fly to fishing during break up ,gezze some people
Old 09-04-2013, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmountain View Post
The regulations is the wrong thing to be concerned about if a guy keeps a walleye here or there. The problem in alberta is too many people for the number of lakes and too intensive use of the landscape. Lake isle for instance is not because of over fishing it's because of nutrient loading, The bath at alberta beach didn't happen as planned because the lake finally said enough is enough. Watershed management should be more of a focus than micro managing water bodies as to how many walleye or goldeye u can keep. The best example of this is the battle river---used to be plentiful with big goldeye and walleye and now it's a slow moving slough that's DEAD. No water flow--spring fed and pollution--no riparian zones along the river, nutrient loading, irrigation?? run-off chemicals and manure. I fished the red deer river from content bridge to drum last year and was shocked to see cattle still headed down to the river to erode the banks etc. and lots of stretches with no riparian zones. Take a look at the big picture. Another great example is the Beaverlodge River which used to have great graylibg runs, which is down to nothing. Fish can't flourish in pollution. If the waterbody/watershed is healthy it will produce lots of and big fish. The regulations are always playing catch up on what is actually happening. They tell u where to go fishing. One lake has a limit of 3 and one has a limit of one and u want quantity that u will go to the lake with the bigger limit. The regulations for the whole province should be on a one piece of paper. Theres no money for fish management in this province so it's a game of catch up. A lake is collapsing than we better go do a quick creel survey and figure out whats going on and than raise the limit to protect the fish. STOP THE MICRO MANAGING AND START MANAGING INDUSTRY AND THE WATERSHED!! Take a look at mike sullivan's slide show THE LAST GOLDEYE heres the link:
http://www.laclanonnewatershed.com/d...%20Goldeye.pdf
Very well said, Ive never looked at it that way, but now that you mention it, I notice lots of cattle along the red deer river trashing the shore line.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:19 AM

unfortunatly in alberta the here and now seems to rule. I forsee the whole water table in this province destroyed within 15 years if we keep pulling oil, and fracking. But hey, a couple extra dollars in your pocket to buy a hummer to drive over the dried up rivers wouldn't hurt eh! :P
Old 09-04-2013, 12:00 PM

Default NSR riparian east of edmonton

I just fished the nsr around smokey lake for a couple days we put by hairy hill and went upstream for 40km and it was nice to see the entire south bank and most of the north bank riparian habitat intact. Lots of mature spruce, pine, big poplar lots of golden eagles, osprey etc. I had never fished that stretch before and it was good to see. A few too much algae though. Downstream of the fort you seem to get a lot of that green slime on your hooks not so much in the city or upstream.

It won't be long before the athabasca river had some sort of a dam put on it around hinton to manage the water flowing down to mcmuarry etc. It is the last major river in the province that does not have a dam on it. The battle has a sprillway at forestburg, the oldman dam, the glennifer dam, the bow has bassano and the peace has the one in bc by fort st. john. Managing our fresh water is the most important issue facing our province not micro managing a couple walleye here or there.
Old 09-04-2013, 04:24 PM

SSR does not have a dam on it yet.

So we shouldn't manage walleye in Alberta till then?

Guess you were unaware of quite heavy poaching in AB and from your post don't think it is worthy of attention.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 09-04-2013, 05:30 PM

from a guy wanting to do something to help educate people about fishing his home waters, to being told it's a waste of time, not being told that's too small of an issue, there's so much bigger things to worry about that you alone cannot fix so why bother crud.

He's taking initiative to protect our fisheries, I for one support that. Rest of you, go read the regs.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-04-2013, 07:33 PM

The SSR has 2 dams....SSR=bow+oldman and they both have dams

You can put up a sign here or there and print some pamphlets or run an ad on the radio or run an ad in the alberta fishing guide. The sign that was at god's lake by the red earth rod and gun club was ripped down and burned. These kind of initiatives don't do nothin. Why is there all the algae downstream of edmonton on the NSR and not up? Lakes like god's lake were a 2-3 hour drive down a 4x4 trail in the early 80's from red earth. Now it's a secondary highway to peerless and 110km/hr high grade road. And people wonder why lakes arn't doing the same as before. LIMIT ACCESS and IMPROVE WATER QUALITY are the two ingredients to better fish populations and bigger fish.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:35 PM

The SSR has 2 dams....SSR=bow+oldman and they both have dams

You can put up a sign here or there and print some pamphlets or run an ad on the radio or run an ad in the alberta fishing guide. The sign that was at god's lake by the red earth rod and gun club was ripped down and burned. These kind of initiatives don't do nothin. Why is there all the algae downstream of edmonton on the NSR and not up? Lakes like god's lake were a 2-3 hour drive down a 4x4 trail in the early 80's from red earth. Now the secondary highway to peerless is 110km/hr high grade road. And people wonder why lakes arn't doing the same as before. LIMIT ACCESS and IMPROVE WATER QUALITY are the two ingredients to better fish populations and bigger fish.

Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM

Thumbs up

There won't be any walleye or for that matter fish in alberta if there's no water!!!!

Why don't the grayling run up Cold Creek by Nojack a trib of Chip Lake anymore??

A)There's no flow to cold creek

B)The landscape around cold creek has been logged and turned to farms since the 50's thus in turn polluting the cold creek sub basin

C)Chip Lake is a slough

D) The entire pembina watershed has been fragmented

E) All of the above

Take a read of the U of A masters thesis where Ward studied Cold Creek and it had the biggest run of grayling around.

The more the population grows in alberta the more of an impact our lakes and rivers will take in terms of pollution and water quality. Do what you please print brochures, tell people what the limit is, say read the regs, if it makes you feel better at night that giver. But in the end handing a few more tickets for a couple walleye that doesn't go back to the fish and wildlife budget is a joke. The province needs to deal with the bigger issues.

WHY ISN'T ANYTHING BEING DONE FOR THE UPPER LITTLE SMOKEY CARIBOU HEARD?? Giver a couple years the ANC ROAD will be punched through to grande cache.

The posts of why there isn't the same numbers or size of grayling in the upper little smokey are present are funny. Wait till the upper little smokey river is fully opened up.
Old 09-05-2013, 09:31 AM

lol troutmountain you do have a point. But it isn't what we are discussing. Population high/low, fish should should be handled properly and regulations followed, Thats the point we are talking aboot.
Old 09-05-2013, 10:17 AM

yup^^^^

Old 09-05-2013, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by troutmountain View Post
There won't be any walleye or for that matter fish in alberta if there's no water!!!!

Why don't the grayling run up Cold Creek by Nojack a trib of Chip Lake anymore??

A)There's no flow to cold creek

B)The landscape around cold creek has been logged and turned to farms since the 50's thus in turn polluting the cold creek sub basin

C)Chip Lake is a slough

D) The entire pembina watershed has been fragmented

E) All of the above

Take a read of the U of A masters thesis where Ward studied Cold Creek and it had the biggest run of grayling around.

The more the population grows in alberta the more of an impact our lakes and rivers will take in terms of pollution and water quality. Do what you please print brochures, tell people what the limit is, say read the regs, if it makes you feel better at night that giver. But in the end handing a few more tickets for a couple walleye that doesn't go back to the fish and wildlife budget is a joke. The province needs to deal with the bigger issues.

WHY ISN'T ANYTHING BEING DONE FOR THE UPPER LITTLE SMOKEY CARIBOU HEARD?? Giver a couple years the ANC ROAD will be punched through to grande cache.

The posts of why there isn't the same numbers or size of grayling in the upper little smokey are present are funny. Wait till the upper little smokey river is fully opened up.
If we wait till everything is "fixed" and don't worry about regs there wont be any Walleye or for that matter Fish, either.

Old 09-05-2013, 12:39 PM

i like to get my point across, why are we doing this?!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:36 PM

pick garbage along the banks of the nsr don't waste your money on pamphlets
Old 09-09-2013, 02:41 PM

i do! and in the valley where i walk my dog
Old 09-09-2013, 07:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Sorry but I have to chime in on this one

Ignorance is not an excuse...If I went over seas or to another country, I would make sure I checked into regulations and fees before fishing any where...just like anyone coming to Canada...If you choose to fish and hunt, they should know there are rules to anything they choose to do..

Remember: Google is your best friend
So I'll ask you something that I posted on this forum a few years back.

Scenario:

You're a law abiding North American. You like juicy fruit and other chewing gum.

If you travelled to Singapore, what kind of chewing gum would you bring?

The answer is that if you brought chewing gum into Singapore and chewed it on the streets, you would be subject to a fine if caught.

So, as a North American who is a law abiding citizen, would you even have stopped to think that chewing gum would earn you a fine? Would you think to do a specific search on chewing gum in Singapore? Be honest.

I wouldn't have thought about it at all. We chew gum here. Why on earth would it be against the law in any country?

This is exactly what sniderscott is outlining. In many countries around the world, fishing is not regulated and the idea that it would be anywhere else in the world is simply unheard of to them to them. Coming to Canada, they may not even think to research it simply because it seems so absurd that any place would regulate fishing.

On a side note, Singapore now allows the sale and use of medical chewing gums, and you're allowed to bring in and chew whatever you have brought with you. But if you sell it or spit it on the ground......
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by commieboy View Post
So I'll ask you something that I posted on this forum a few years back.

Scenario:

You're a law abiding North American. You like juicy fruit and other chewing gum.

If you travelled to Singapore, what kind of chewing gum would you bring?

The answer is that if you brought chewing gum into Singapore and chewed it on the streets, you would be subject to a fine if caught.

So, as a North American who is a law abiding citizen, would you even have stopped to think that chewing gum would earn you a fine? Would you think to do a specific search on chewing gum in Singapore? Be honest.

I wouldn't have thought about it at all. We chew gum here. Why on earth would it be against the law in any country?

This is exactly what sniderscott is outlining. In many countries around the world, fishing is not regulated and the idea that it would be anywhere else in the world is simply unheard of to them to them. Coming to Canada, they may not even think to research it simply because it seems so absurd that any place would regulate fishing.

On a side note, Singapore now allows the sale and use of medical chewing gums, and you're allowed to bring in and chew whatever you have brought with you. But if you sell it or spit it on the ground......
This is a really good post. I never thought of it this way. Education is key. Are our regs available in other languages? Should they be?

Yes or no the casualty of ignorance is the resource.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:12 PM
Banned

I think in very very few cases people end up on the water with no idea there are licensing and regulations.

Most of the new Canadians I have met who have been breaking the rules knew what they were doing.

For the rest....read the regs
Old 09-10-2013, 11:38 AM

For me I found it was homegrown albertans who were the worst, the young ones for the most. The new canadians were very receptive and even allowed me to show them how to release, and seeing them weeks later, they are still doing it.

Well said though commieboy!
Old 09-10-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burbotman View Post
This is a really good post. I never thought of it this way. Education is key. Are our regs available in other languages? Should they be?

Yes or no the casualty of ignorance is the resource.
Exactly why I've been supportive of this initiative from the start. The idea of having the info translated has run through my head a few times.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history. - Hegel

Your obligation to fight has not been relieved because the battle is fierce and difficult. Ben Shapiro
Old 09-10-2013, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild&Free View Post
Exactly why I've been supportive of this initiative from the start. The idea of having the info translated has run through my head a few times.
know aribac?