Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-07-2013, 07:28 PM

Great story...Each year will keep getting better!!!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:37 PM

excellent post, thoroughly enjoyed the story and the pics. Stellar first year, cant wait to see what you accomplish in 2014. It is addicting lol! Maybe I can convince you and Geezle to come out and do some lake trout fishing next month
, I know you wont have to twist his arm too much lol
Old 09-07-2013, 10:06 PM

Great thread OGWP. love your enthusiasm! And remember, it doesnt have to be the biggest fish to make a memory! Its being there thats important! Congrats on a sucessful year!
Old 09-07-2013, 11:22 PM

Thanks so much you guys!

Lund, I did try to put up pics of my new rod but it kept telling me I had too many pics. Here ya go...the sweet G Loomis GL3 rod and Shimano Symetre reel I ordered from The Fishing Hole.

My new baby...

Last edited by Pixel Shooter; 09-08-2013 at 01:47 PM.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:23 PM

Pixel, that would be awesome but a really long drive for me from Lethbridge. lol!

Etown- Thanks! I really appreciated all your advice in my fishing rod thread.

Shmag- I know right! It's always funny when it happens to someone else. I have yet to see it happen to anyone else though. LOL! So unfair. Yep the 3 wolf moon shirt was my secret. I ordered it off amazon after reading that it would make me run faster and jump higher. Mostly I just got laughed at when I wore it. I haven't given up on it yet though!

Dodger- I was definitely fortunate to fish with the people I have. I find annoying people until they let me tag along is pretty effective. lol! Kidding....sorta

Wayne- I can't thank you enough for your friendship and advice! I badger you like crazy with questions and you never get frustrated. I would've drop kicked me off a cliff by now. lol! I'm sure we'll get out again soon. I'd love to catch a sturgeon and hear you laughing like you always are when I catch anything. Now that I think about it, you're a bastard. haha!

Lady Bowhunter- YES we definitely have to get together! I am badly in need of a chick friend who isn't scared to get out there and get dirty! Seriously, I'm so tired of hearing "Eeeewwww, you touch the fish? Gross!" You would be so much fun to fish with! You and me next summer for sure!

Lefty- I'm not gonna lie here buddy, the shirt didn't do jack s for me. lol! I tried man! I really really tried but it just didn't work. I think I need more wolves. In fact, I know I do. Maybe I could just draw one on.

Dac- Are you kidding me right now? You know me pretty good. You honestly think I should have a gun? Let me take you on a little journey...dream sequence sounds here...I really want to reply to everyone who was kind enough to write in this thread but I can't because today I went to my 6 year old nephew's birthday party and fell down the stairs in front of 17 kids and their parents and mangled my shoulder to the sounds of "That old lady just fell down the stairs!" This is not a new thing for me. Giving me a weapon and sending me after wild animals is just cruel...wait...it's suddenly making sense. You just made my bastard list too buddy!

Chewie- LMAO! Thanks!

Redfrog- I just love you. Not ashamed to say it. Don't tell Mrs. Frog. I've never seen her but after years with you I have zero doubt she could take me in a fight. lol!

Tight line- That's exactly right. I don't care how big the fish is. I'm just excited that I caught it.

To everyone else- I really do appreciate your replies! Last summer was brutal and I really did almost give up. I just figured I wasn't going to get any better at it but eventually it just started to click. I was finally figuring out which lures to use, which weights to use and what to look for. I'm still a long ways off of being on the level you guys are but I'm in no rush. There's just something about fishing that's kind of magical, as cheesy as that sounds.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:39 PM

Great thread, totally enjoyed all of it. So what fish you have left to catch? Did I miss it or you have not caught any perch yet?
Winter is coming and trust me, nothing beats pulling jumbos on the ice.
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 PM

lmao...did you actually read some of the reviews on amazon,lol. A buddy told me to check it out about a year ago...Damn there was some pretty funny reviews...lol
Old 09-08-2013, 12:37 AM

Ak47 there's still tons of fish I have left to catch. I'd love to catch a jumbo perch...or even a small one. Lol!

Shmag I did read the reviews. They were hysterical! I had to have that shirt after reading those. Haha!
Old 09-08-2013, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post

Shmag I did read the reviews. They were hysterical! I had to have that shirt after reading those. Haha!

I like your "Style"....lmao
Old 09-08-2013, 08:50 AM

First off, great thread!

I can't believe that it's already been a year that you've been going at the fishing game...time flies sometimes! It's nice to hear that I might have played a small part in getting you pointed in the right direction in the beginning

That having been said you've sure come a long way in the past year! You went from doing a crazy chicken dance with your first pike to getting into the sturgeon mix, and I know that if you keep hanging out with Wayne and crew it's only a matter of time before you can scratch sturgeon off the list

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams

Last edited by Geezle; 09-08-2013 at 08:56 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pixel Shooter View Post
excellent post, thoroughly enjoyed the story and the pics. Stellar first year, cant wait to see what you accomplish in 2014. It is addicting lol! Maybe I can convince you and Geezle to come out and do some lake trout fishing next month
, I know you wont have to twist his arm too much lol
2014? Pfffft...there's still plenty of 2013 left man!

As for going laker fishing, I'd love to! I haven't been up to Cold since last year some time. I'm still playing catch-up after my fly-in trip, but by next month I might be able to pull something off.

And OGWP - If I can pull it off, so can you!

As if you don't want to go scratch lake trout off the list too!
(This one is from Vermilion Lake but you get the idea)

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2013, 11:59 AM

I totally thought pixel was joking! Geez I'm dumb sometimes. It would depend on the date but that definitely sounds like fun!
Old 09-08-2013, 12:01 PM

You Prob secretly wear the "3 wolf moon" under all your shirts....

LC
Old 09-08-2013, 05:22 PM

Awesome thread , looks like a fun year of fishing to me ! Hmmmm jumbo perch hey .... might know a 3 year old that caught a few last winter , he might tell ya or show ya if u ask nice and buy him a few timbits .....
Old 09-08-2013, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneGirlWolfPack View Post
I totally thought pixel was joking! Geez I'm dumb sometimes. It would depend on the date but that definitely sounds like fun!
I know Pixel and I guarantee he's not joking

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 09-08-2013, 10:56 PM

Usually those "warning bear in area" signs are put there by landowners to scare people off. Lol
Old 09-08-2013, 11:08 PM

Your pics and story are awesome and this is how the obsession begins for a lot of us I'm sure. It was almost two years of fishing the NSR before I finally caught A fish believe it or not, so I've been told that's fishing. It's now the third most important thing to me in my whole life now and I'm a full lowness addict ow going out every weekend forsure and year round and still can't get enough. I have a 7 yr old son who just loves fishing too now anyhow great to hear that some fellow AO members have been kind enough to share some of their knowledge with you. Wish you all the best in your future outings and trips.
Old 09-08-2013, 11:48 PM

Great story and pics!!
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 AM

Thanks Pixel!

Lefty, There's a really good joke there but I'd probably get banned for it. I do indeed wear the 3 wolf moon at all times.

Drop Tine, Timbits you say? I'm not above bribing a little kid. I bet if I brought something even cooler than donuts I can get him to give up all your spots. Lol! Two words: Super Mario.

Geezle, I realize now he was serious. Haha! It would be awesome to fish with you guys! I have to see what my schedule will be like for early October. If I can move some things around I will definitely come out.

Bouroumand8, really? Lol! That sign was posted outside police outpost lake so I think it was legit. They have big signs there saying what to do if you encounter a bear. I had been there before and saw the usual signs but that one was new and I wasn't going to risk it.

1bluzebec, 2 years? Wow! You have the patience of a saint! Did you try other places or were you determined to get one from that river? I'm glad to hear things turned around for you and your boy gets out there with you too! That's awesome!
Old 09-09-2013, 03:41 PM

Looks like your on your way Miss OGWP. Congrats on your first year.
Old 09-09-2013, 04:15 PM

Well OneGirl...

Glad to see our ice-fishing expedition didn't turn you off fishing entirely. Although I will state for the record that not ALL of us were skunked that day! haha

Keep at it and you will become an addicted "pro" like the rest of us!

Remember...it's never lying when talking about fish size.

"There seems to be alot of urinating in breakfast cereal around here." - Rackman, 2010

"It is true, there are dead beat dads out there, and there are thousands of dead beat moms too, who live off the efforts of good men trying to do the right thing." -KegRiver, 2011

"You have social media to thank for turning everyone into self-righteous know-it-alls.." -random internet dude, 2015
Old 09-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Banned

Cool

Great pics and thread Ogwp. Congrats on a great first yr on the water. not many will get that number of species. Best of luck in the rest of the year. Tight lines, see ya on the water one day.
Old 09-09-2013, 08:30 PM
Gone Hunting

First off, it looks like you had a better year then I did, fishing wise that is.

Second, what would it take to get you to teach me some of your fishing techniques?

Seriously, it is great to see newcomers enjoying the great outdoors in all it's facets. And seriously, you probably could teach me some fishing tricks I haven't learned yet.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 09-09-2013, 09:14 PM

Awesome post. Welcome to the addiction. If you're going to be hooked on something, it may as well be fishing. My wife and son and I really enjoy it, whether we're catching nice pike and walleye or 6 inch trout from a stream.
Liz and I absolutely love our annual fly-in experience to Ryan Lake and can't wait for next year. Fishing for us is just an excuse to go and visit some spectacular places. Sounds like a great first year and hopefully the first of many. GN
Old 09-10-2013, 08:41 AM

Looks like you had a great year OGWP. I need to get out of this office and start enjoying the outdoors a bit more. But reading posts like your and looking at the pics is what makes this site so great. Keep up the great work.
Old 09-10-2013, 05:17 PM

Nice Pics and story OGWP!!! Keep it up! The fun never stops!
Old 09-10-2013, 06:20 PM

Lol yup that would work ... Ahhhh the little turd will spill the beans for sure ....
Old 09-10-2013, 07:28 PM

Awesome post .... your year looks pretty frign sweet like one said theres enty of year left time to take on some fat walleye ....tis the season ya know
Old 09-10-2013, 09:58 PM

Great post....I've been at it now for close to 5 years-every year I might not always be able to scratch off a new species, but at least a chunk of new water. This year I've added 3 new spots to the list. Bad day on the water beats a good one at work....right? Just got back from Rolling-repairing what broke and cleaning up what got dirty to head down to Sherburne in 9 days. You're welcome to come over and take a stab at scratching perch off the list-not sure how big they are, but they are there. Probably last kick at walleye for me unless the fall stretches way out.
Old 09-10-2013, 10:35 PM

hey have to say great pic and even better story now if we can just teach you to tell a great one that got away story you will be a pro