Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 03-23-2019, 11:26 AM
Banned

Default Trapping in a city

Hey guys. We have a major Bobcat problem here in our community in Calgary.
So far this week 5 house cats have been eaten by these animals. I am sure that would also explain the amount of missing cats as well.

Can a person trap and kill on their own property within the city of Calgary?

Can you use bait?
Old 03-23-2019, 11:31 AM

Just do it quietly, and don't mention it again.
Old 03-23-2019, 12:22 PM
Banned

Unfortunately, these guys need some definite rules. Who would you phone?
Alberta or the city?
I am thinking they will need to bring in a outside trapper. No one has the ability or knowledge or want to do the dirty work. They are all worried about "Mr Fluffy" getting eaten in front of the kids.

It's been kind of interesting to sit back and watch the reactions from the Adults. What I didn't like was a friends 8 year old daughter having to deal with the loss of her cat.
Old 03-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Banned

Some municipalities have trappers to do nuisance animal work or at the very least live traps that they loan. I'd check on their website to see what is available to you free of charge. If I were to do it myself I'd only use a live trap. Peavy Mart has a large bobcat sized one......https://www.peaveymart.com/42-X-16-X...ap-P10834.aspx
Old 03-23-2019, 02:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Some municipalities have trappers to do nuisance animal work or at the very least live traps that they loan. I'd check on their website to see what is available to you free of charge. If I were to do it myself I'd only use a live trap. Peavy Mart has a large bobcat sized one......https://www.peaveymart.com/42-X-16-X...ap-P10834.aspx
City says no live trading as it doesn't help, Bobcats just tend to come back.
They say take away the food source. At first it was all the rabbits.. Not near as many rabbits these days.

Now, the Bobcats are taking pets and getting extremely bold about it. Cats being eaten on front doorsteps and in enclosed back yards. Haven't heard of a dog becoming dinner yet but I am sure it is a matter of time.

I really think the only way is to trap them. Can shoot them so this is what you have. It will really upset some of the people here but as they keep seeing family pets being eaten they may come around.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:31 PM

http://www.calgary.ca/CSPS/ABS/Pages...Cat-traps.aspx

City will loan you a trap for free, they were all loaned out when I needed one. So just bought my own live trap. Brought it in for them to look at it, then they put a tag on it. Pretty easy process to go through
Old 03-23-2019, 02:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
City says no live trading as it doesn't help, Bobcats just tend to come back.
They wouldn’t come back if I was trapping them.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:42 PM

Leave them be, we have bobcats too. They don’t eat our cats because...ours are indoors where they should be.
Old 03-23-2019, 02:47 PM
Banned

They're fair game if off the owners property. Really can't see how the Bobcats are getting them unless they're off the owner's property or tied up, or are they bold enough to take one from the care of a child or adult?

According to the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, cat owners must ensure their cats:

Have a City of Calg​ary licence.
Remain on the owners property.
Do not disturb the peace by howling or crying.
Do not damage others property.
Do not scatter garbage.
Do not chase, threaten, or attack a person or an animal.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:22 PM

It’s not a problem bobcat, it’s doing what they’re intended to do. Eat small animals.
Old 03-23-2019, 05:14 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
It’s not a problem bobcat, it’s doing what they’re intended to do. Eat small animals.
Does anyone know where I can rent one of these bobcats?...asking for a friend.....
Old 03-23-2019, 07:57 PM

Default bobcats

Call 311. After dealing with the city, if enough calls come in, they will be forced to act. If the city doesn't hear about it, then they will prosecute unlawful trapping. Its a tough situation.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daslogster View Post
Call 311. After dealing with the city, if enough calls come in, they will be forced to act. If the city doesn't hear about it, then they will prosecute unlawful trapping. Its a tough situation.
But what is UNLAWFUL trapping?

I will be calling on Monday but I doubt the folks at the city have a clue what is true.

Guys this isnt One Bobcat, This isnt 2 Bobcats. By my best guess, I think we have at least 10 different ones with Kittens on the way.

In my opinion, the Bobcats can do what they want but they cant be here. No room in the Inn.
Old 03-23-2019, 09:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Does anyone know where I can rent one of these bobcats?...asking for a friend.....
Hal.. Come get one or 4!!!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weedy1 View Post
They're fair game if off the owners property. Really can't see how the Bobcats are getting them unless they're off the owner's property or tied up, or are they bold enough to take one from the care of a child or adult?

According to the Responsible Pet Ownership Bylaw, cat owners must ensure their cats:

Have a City of Calg​ary licence.
Remain on the owners property.
Do not disturb the peace by howling or crying.
Do not damage others property.
Do not scatter garbage.
Do not chase, threaten, or attack a person or an animal.
Cats get out but yeah, they are snagging them in back yards and on front steps. BRASS BALLS on these Bobcats. They must be hungry. I am afraid it will be another few years till they leave.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:13 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie View Post
But what is UNLAWFUL trapping?
They are furbearers so legally you need approval and an animal damage control permit. Technically you need a permit to trap a weasel getting in the chicken coop or for trapping squirrels in the attic. I don’t know of anyone that has ever purchased an animal damage control permit for that sort of thing though.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:27 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
They are furbearers so legally you need approval and an animal damage control permit. Technically you need a permit to trap a weasel getting in the chicken coop or for trapping squirrels in the attic. I don’t know of anyone that has ever purchased an animal damage control permit for that sort of thing though.
Thats fair. I would imagine getting one for your lot in Calgary wouldn't work.... City/FW need to do this.
Old 03-24-2019, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
this x2
Old 03-24-2019, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Leave them be, we have bobcats too. They don’t eat our cats because...ours are indoors where they should be.
^^^^ This. I highly doubt the bobcats are entering homes to get the domestics. Also, there are a huge number of coyotes living in and around the city. I witnessed the hind quarter of someone's fluffy being devoured right across the street from my home a few years back. I have only seen one bob cat in the city. I'm sure there are more, but I'm also sure coyotes take far more pets that bobcats.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:17 AM

We’ve had several bobcats in out neighbourhood in the past few years. I have tons of photos of them in our back yard. I’ve seen then nose to nose with our big fatso cat who was on a leash. We have “several” free ranging use cats that I see wandering all the time, and they aren’t disappearing. I honestly don’t think bobcats are much of a problem to cats. I’d bet it’s coyotes eating cats.

Another thing, I find dead rabbits half eaten and hidden for “the next meal” by bobcats and I never find dead cats in the same ways. A coyote would grab the cat and run away to eat it, bobcats tend to stick pretty close to the home. It’s gotta be coyotes and the bobcats probably don’t need to be or deserve targeted.
Old 03-24-2019, 01:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Feral/free-roaming cats have been scientifically identified as a very serious for our songbirds continent wide. The dumbest looking *****cat can in an instant turn into a lethal weapon.

Sounds like we have us a natural, sustainable, environmentally friendly solution to an artificial problem!!!

I am opposed to free roaming pets. There should be strict rules in place with heavy penalties for non-compliance.

If we care about our pets, we keep them under our control, for their personal safety. Would sure hate to see beautiful bobcats senselessly destroyed to allow a bunch of mongrel *****cats to run at large and wreak havok!!! (Ever so innocently!)
Old 03-25-2019, 07:14 AM

We have a fox that is the most lethal for our cats over the years on our ranch. He even comes right up to our house, would get the SOB but always comes in middle of the night, if set a trap will catch my dogs.