Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-12-2008, 09:16 PM

Default Peeved

Boy am I peeved at my son. Late yesterday afternoon he goes fishing just before supper. He returns and he has 4 whitefish to clean while his buddy has another 4. I gotta stick around to make sure the place is clean, right. Tonight, same thing, he goes fishing. I said be back by 7 and we'll batter up the fish from last night and have supper. Yup, I'll be home. 7:30 arrives, no son. Just as I am going out the door for a walk he shows up with his buddy--they got 10 more to clean. The fish were biting so good they could not leave. Again I had to stick around. At least they were hungry and ate the fish from last night. They dug some holes in about 25 feet of water. Last Friday I saw quite a few in 6 feet of water. No interest. I moved to 15 feet and caught them right away. I guess they are feeding in 15 to 25 feet of water. I don't think I'll go fishing for a few days as I am sick of fish right now. BEL
Old 03-12-2008, 09:30 PM

Let me get this right, you are upset at your son for going fishing and enjoying the great outdoors with his buddy????? Maybe it is time for someone to be counting his blessings that he has a son that loves the outdoors and not hanging out at the mall and doing drugs and getting into trouble.... Give your son a big congrat from me....

Jim
Old 03-12-2008, 09:59 PM

I don't think it's the fishing that bothers BEL...it's the having to clean the fish without getting to actually fish.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:03 PM
TundraBuck

Yes, I don't like it when my son brings them home and there is a mess. But hey, he could be drinking or doing drugs or getting into mischief and fights. I am 100% behind him spending time in the outdoors. It clears your mind and gives you more respect for people and nature.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:08 PM

Couldn't you just teach him to catch and release.

Not every fish has to be kept and eaten
Old 03-12-2008, 11:16 PM

As posted above, there are worst things you could be peeved at. And if he can catch and bring 'em home he can also clean them. Check up on them next day and be ready to lay some old fashioned whoop-***** They learn quick.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:34 PM

Default Tongue in cheek

Yes Mish you are correct. I was saying this with tongue in cheek. He did all the cleaning and filleting which I was thankful for. I just wanted to be sure he cleaned up for his mother. They actually caught more but threw them back. He goes out quite often of which I am thankful for. We live 2 blocks from Sylvan Lake. BEL
Old 03-13-2008, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEL View Post
Yes Mish you are correct. I was saying this with tongue in cheek. He did all the cleaning and filleting which I was thankful for. I just wanted to be sure he cleaned up for his mother. They actually caught more but threw them back. He goes out quite often of which I am thankful for. We live 2 blocks from Sylvan Lake. BEL
Can't say I blame you. I'd be jealous too!
Old 03-13-2008, 04:45 PM

Default Oh No!!

He's gone again. I went over to the lake to see how he and his buddy were doing. At that point they landed (but not kept) 36. His buddy kept 4. My son and I are tired of cleaning fish. BEL
Old 03-13-2008, 08:28 PM
TundraBuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by graylake View Post
Couldn't you just teach him to catch and release.

Not every fish has to be kept and eaten
Obviously graylake. Noone here was indicating that they keep fish everytime they go.
Old 03-13-2008, 10:21 PM

Default Sometimes and sometimes not

To Graylake. My son and I go fishing quite a bit together and sometimes without each other. There are times we keep our limit and there are times we don't. Sometimes we fish places where you can't keep anything. Sometimes we fish places where we don't intend to keep anything we catch even though it is legally okay. Right now the whitefish are hot so we are keeping some fish to eat and freeze. We love em. I DO NOT keep a lot of fish in the freezer because after awhile the quality goes down. You will notice today my son caught quite a few but none came home. Thank god!!! So I guess in reference to your post, I have taught him catch and release. BEL
Old 03-13-2008, 10:30 PM

I still love out-fishn' dad! I guess you taught him too well.
Old 03-13-2008, 11:20 PM

Default And me too!

And I love out-fishin him too. Sometimes he just kills me but this ice fishin season I think I have done much better than him. We are lookin forward to going up to Slave end of March and June. Also, we are going to try Snipe and Smoke sometime this spring. It will depend on his new work schedule when he gets a new job. We really love trying new areas together. BEL