Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2008, 09:02 PM

Default burbot

can anybody help me with fishing burbot
i havn't had much luck this year so i was hoping you guys could help me out
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 PM

Get out and try to find a sandy bottom with nearby structure minnow and a jig ....hit the bottom with it.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:47 PM

where do you live? I'm heading out this weekend for a day and can 'almost' guarantee you your limit

Secret place....
Old 03-06-2008, 07:20 PM

Was fishing Gull yesterday. The burbot are on their spawning beds....still mostly males, but some females. Quit counting them after a hundred. Often two or three in sight at a time and once counted seven. Seldom more than half a minute between seeing fish. Most all were very willing to bite. No idea how many I saw in total. I was trying for whitefish (they move in to feed on the ling egss) & it was very difficult to single them out without catching the ling. Had success by fishing above the ling, but missed loads of opportunities for whites on the bottom. I really believe we need to get the fisheries management people in this province to give these fish some protection on their spawning beds. Literally everyone that wanted to target them were catching their limits in no time. With more and more people seeking them out, if they aren't protected to a greater extent than they are now, they just won't stand up to the pressure. Every year more and more people are recognizing how good they taste. We used to see lots of ling all over the lake throughout the winter.......not any more. Any support out there to make sure our kids will be able to take their kids fishing for them? I hope so. I'm going to write some letters.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:51 PM

I would have to agree with you... reduce the limits by 1 or 2 at this time of year.... but then again this is only about a 1-2 week period it gets this good. and they are not over fished Walleye.

We dont need another walleye situation..... Nothing but walleye left in some of our lakes and not allowed to keep any of them.
Old 03-06-2008, 08:58 PM

where were you fishing brian, what part of the lake
Old 03-08-2008, 08:49 AM

hey burbotman quit being such an damn mooch already and try to figure out something on your own for a change, its getting a bit much
Old 03-12-2008, 08:54 AM

Default Burbot = Garbage Fish

My, My, My, How times have changed.

Twenty five years ago, you would be ice fishing on Wabamun lake, take a walk, drive, and you would undoubtedly see some "Garbage" fish. These were incidental catches of "Ling" that somebody had supposedly done everybody else the favor of disposing for the rest. Back then, these non-game fish had no protection, no limit as to how many you could let die on the ice.

I started wondering about these "Ling". Saw an article in the Western Sportsman, them crazy folk in BC were actually looking for these ugly things.

Things sure have changed.
Old 03-12-2008, 10:20 AM

Default Burbot=YUMI

They are a phenominal eating fish!! Interesting to see cleaned for the first time too. I for one have ate burbot several times this month and its awsome stuff. Every person that I have shared some with has wanted more. The highlights of my ice fishing this season have been a 9 lb 2 oz burb a few weekends back (My best at the time) And then setting a new personal best @ 9lbs 10 oz's on Friday.

There is a thread about how wastful the CWD deer cull has been and people are outraged, rightfully too. There have been threads about catching suckers in rivers and how they should be thrown in the bush. And i for one have even seen burbots gone to wast in my child hood. But in this day and age i think that we have gotten past that mentality and it's something to be proud of. These are not garbage fish and people are realizing this. I'd say times have changed for the better.

"If that burb don't go back down the hole it should get fried up and go down the hatch". Same goes for any other fish or criter. Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-14-2008, 10:22 PM

Default RE: Suckers

While in Ontario, I had a seasoned friend that had seen, done it all. He stated to me once, that in the spring, he would take a white sucker before he would a walleye.

Like I said, he knew quite a bit, so I took him up on it. If I were to put it on the plate, you would take my word on it that it was a walleye, that is till you met up with a "Y" bone. The flesh was so nice and flaky that you would have thought it was whitefish.

Just checking up on the White Sucker in Ontario, seems to be the same fish as what we have here, the second sucker species here is the Long Nose sucker, a rounder fish than the white, slimier looking (to me)

From 25 years ago and Ling being "garbage" to the white sucker, somebody has to spread the word then all of a sudden, it's in style.

Back in Ontario, Carp are a nuisance, then the Brits come over to North America just so they can catch some monsters. There's also the Fresh water Drum in the great lakes, again, another bugger that often makes you think you have hooked a monster walleye. Nobody eats those, at least, nobody will dare say they eat them (forget the reason) one site profiling great lakes fish species says they are good eating.