Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 09:43 AM

My first real smoker is my Bradley.
4 rack digital.
Is it perfect, hardly.
It does weird stuff when it’s cold(constant pick feeding)
You need to double insulate it, in our climate, and the puck feeder needs cleaning about twice a year.

All that being said it simply won’t die on me. I take the heat gun to the puck feeder/ smoke generator when it’s cold and the constant puck feeding stops, the double insulating thing is a $12 fix it, and I probably should spend more time cleaning it than twice a year.

If it dies I’ll buy something different I’m sure.

But let’s face it the Bradley lets you get into smoking finer foods, with far less failures, it’s a stepping stone to smoking greatness, and it fills the gap nicely.

There are no absolutes
Old 03-24-2019, 10:31 AM

The only problem is there price. I wanted to upgrade my 4 rack original to the 6 rack digital but for a few hundred more you can get a nice pellet grill that can do a lot more.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:44 AM

I am on my 2nd digital, I did not want a 2nd one after the first died but it was a git so im using it but will be getting a LG pellet grill soon.

Bradleys have a terrible time keeping and recovering temperature. The other issue is you are stuck with pucks unless you get a smoke tube or amazin tray etc. But then why have a bradley at all.
Old 03-24-2019, 11:18 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up The bird is a smokin'

Nice day to smoke a chicken

image.jpg

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2019, 11:31 AM

Default Mountainti

Thanks for the fan info. Had thought about it but never saw a small one. BEL
Old 03-24-2019, 12:42 PM

I went through two Bradley's, one just kinda wore out and the door hinges busted off, and it started having weird electrical problems, the other was my fault, turns out leaving three chickens in there unattended causes them to light on fire Haha, anyways I liked it when I had it, but have since moved on to other styles, it seemed to me like everything I put in the Bradley kinda came out tasting the same and it was really easy to over smoke stuff but maybe that's just operator error, the uneven temperature Inside (mostly in cold weather) was the biggest pain..when it came to get a new one I just couldn't justify the price so instead I spent ten times more and built my own Haha, I have put these up here before but here they go again

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
Old 03-24-2019, 02:13 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.
Thumbs up And da bird is dun!

image.jpg

No complaints with my Bradley....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 03-24-2019, 02:49 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Attachment 153829

No complaints with my Bradley....
Perfection!!

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-24-2019, 03:00 PM

In my opinion, The Bradley is one of the last smokers that I would buy. Just this thread alone must have at least half of the respondants that own or have owned Bradleys have had issues. There are so many reputable smokers out there, I would move on from the Bradley. As for pellet smokers, Louisianna Grills, GMG, Traegar, Rec Tec, Grilla, Yoder to name a few, many more available in the U.S.
charcoal/stickburners there are many of those too but I have found you have to monitor/babysit them much more than a Pellet Grill. Then there is what do you intend to use it for? If you plan to make your own sausage etc, then a cabinet style is likely best so you can hang the meat. If you just want to use it to cook some meals, briskets, ribs, chicken, steaks/roasts, etc I would go for a Pellet Grill for the ease of use, set it and forget it... But it really depends on what you want it for. Best of luck in your decision and let us know which direction you go.

CDNH
Old 03-24-2019, 03:03 PM

Pavillion, great job on your home built units. How is the cabinet style unit for holding temps? I would like to get/build one similar to that one. Would want the option to hang meat from the top too. (Not sure if you have that feature in yours)
I assume you use charcoal for heat?
Old 03-24-2019, 03:17 PM

ya there is five rods across the top of it, its main use when i get that offset stick burner done will be for sausage and jerky, not sure how much sausage i can do at once but Its big enough to jerky a whole deer in one go, which was another huge pain with the bradley, even to do a small 25lb batch of sausage or jerky it takes two days, it holds temp fine but its a pig on fuel in the winter, one of these days im going to insulate it
Old 03-24-2019, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDNOutdoorsman View Post
Pavillion, great job on your home built units. How is the cabinet style unit for holding temps? I would like to get/build one similar to that one. Would want the option to hang meat from the top too. (Not sure if you have that feature in yours)
I assume you use charcoal for heat?
for heat I have that basket in the bottom that i burn charcoal in, and below that is a plate to catch the ashes, but under that plate i have a tiger torch welded in with a gas hookup on the side, usually i burn charcoal if im cooking something but if im doing sausage or jerky i run the gas and set wood chips on the ash tray for smoke
Old 03-24-2019, 05:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavilion View Post
I went through two Bradley's, one just kinda wore out and the door hinges busted off, and it started having weird electrical problems, the other was my fault, turns out leaving three chickens in there unattended causes them to light on fire Haha, anyways I liked it when I had it, but have since moved on to other styles, it seemed to me like everything I put in the Bradley kinda came out tasting the same and it was really easy to over smoke stuff but maybe that's just operator error, the uneven temperature Inside (mostly in cold weather) was the biggest pain..when it came to get a new one I just couldn't justify the price so instead I spent ten times more and built my own Haha, I have put these up here before but here they go again

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk
The ingenuity in this group astounds me at times! Well done
Old 03-24-2019, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
My 4 rack digital just died.

I took out 3 B E A utiful prime rib roasts cut like giant steaks, thought 'what a perfect day to smoke some meat'!

Did the warmup, ran a couple pucks, went into the house to get them, came back to black screen of death. Popped fuse. Changed the fuse, popped immediately. I ripped it apart after talking to Dr Google, looking for burnt/worn/burnt wires and found none.

Checked everything I could, put everything back together and now I ger an error, think the smoker element chit itself.

Of course it has been over a year since I bought it, and I did not find the receipt. The manager I bought it from was not in today. Cambodian Tire will sell me another one but get stuffed on warranty. Had I paid with their 'triangle' mastercard they could have looked it up.

I am torn whether I should spend another $500 or not, how long are they lasting for you guys?

Maybe it is time for a Traeger.
had my Bradley for 7 years now love it . if you put crappy tire money on the card I thought they could look it up that way?

mack
Old 03-24-2019, 09:31 PM

According to some old posts in the Smoker section it appears as though the OP bought a 4 rack Bradley in early April 2014.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:56 AM

If the Bradley would work in cold weather I think it would be a good unit. I have a very old model. Not digital and it can't get up to temp if it is around zero outside. If it is windy, forget it.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega50 View Post
According to some old posts in the Smoker section it appears as though the OP bought a 4 rack Bradley in early April 2014.
This is my 3rd.
2nd was a 6 rack bluetooth but I took it back and got this one.
Had a big chief for a while too.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 03-25-2019, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainTi View Post
I use a small computer fan. Just stick it inside the door to move air around. It is 12 volt so just hook it to a battery. Should permanently mount one inside, just haven't got around to it yet
How well is the fan able to handle the heat? Where abouts did you mount it?
Old 03-25-2019, 02:14 PM

I called Bradley, new smoker element only $44.00. New heat element is only $24.
They said to try the generator first, that's the one that makes fuses pop.

They were great about it. I said I could not find the receipt and was happy to pay for it, so I would not have to pay $500 for a new one. She checked the serial number and said it's on the way! Wouldn't take my cc#!

Great customer service!!

Old 03-25-2019, 03:34 PM

I've had my Bradley six rack for over 10 years now. Replaced the heating element once (bought 2 at the time and still have one). It sure doesn't look new anymore, the door hinges are broke but the darn thing still works like a charm.

In saying that I don't use it much anymore though. I have a Broil King Charcoal Grill and a Louisiana Grills pellet grill and they get 99% of my time now
Old 03-25-2019, 04:07 PM

Default Original Bradley

Before I purchased my bradleys 4 &6 rack I called the representative in the USA I was more concerned with the colder temperatures here in Canada his suggestion was not to buy the digital Bradley but rather purchase the Original Bradley . They were getting complaints about the digitals not getting enough heat for the colder areas. I purchased the Originals and the only problem I had was the heat element was not working correctly. The cause was that the plug that attaches to the back of the Bradley was not plugged in all the way a common error as I have been told. I did purchase a welders blanket from princess auto seemed to work well in -12 degree temp Building a cabinet for them this spring .
Old 03-25-2019, 04:46 PM

I quickly learned the Bradley wasn't built for the Canuck climate, it was -10 with a slight wind the best I could get was 150 F. The sausage was ready I used a friends homemade smoker that day.
In the spring I built a cabinet to keep the wind off helped but still not enough heat for a fast recovery, next I installed a second burner more heat is always better and if a burner craps out one burner will get you by.

The puck feeder is another issue replaced all micro switches, the plug in for the temperature cable and the puck burner over the past 5 years each time raw meat waiting. The last problem was the fusible link hidden under the back cover really had me going on that one.

I would hardly call it reliable, I check the operation hourly and use a amaz-n smoker for smoke still don't trust the puck feeder that drops half burnt pucks into the water dish.

When this Bradley dies I'll look at other brands with no moving parts and higher temperatures some go 400 F handy to cook in the summer.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:12 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by bat119 View Post
I quickly learned the Bradley wasn't built for the Canuck climate, it was -10 with a slight wind the best I could get was 150 F. The sausage was ready I used a friends homemade smoker that day.
In the spring I built a cabinet to keep the wind off helped but still not enough heat for a fast recovery, next I installed a second burner more heat is always better and if a burner craps out one burner will get you by.

The puck feeder is another issue replaced all micro switches, the plug in for the temperature cable and the puck burner over the past 5 years each time raw meat waiting. The last problem was the fusible link hidden under the back cover really had me going on that one.

I would hardly call it reliable, I check the operation hourly and use a amaz-n smoker for smoke still don't trust the puck feeder that drops half burnt pucks into the water dish.

When this Bradley dies I'll look at other brands with no moving parts and higher temperatures some go 400 F handy to cook in the summer.
Can you show how you added the 2nd burner please?

Old 03-25-2019, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
Can you show how you added the 2nd burner please?
Its simple I used some heat proof wire from an old stove and mounted to the heat guard

I read on the Bradley forum that this can only be done on the digital model the PID in the original Bradley can't handle the extra watts.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:54 PM

Slick. Thank you.

Old 03-25-2019, 07:43 PM
Banned

I always assumed my Bradley was easy to learn on and convenient with the pucks and the Digital end of things. But if I was into being a upper midlevel smoker all the way to hard ore, I would have something a bunch more robust and with out the gimmicks.

I love some of the home made ones here. If I was in the country I would like to build a real wooden smoke house. Some really neat ones on line.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:39 AM

I've used my Bradley 4 rack in -20 on quite a few occasions. Digital controller for temp and smoke never a problem. Maintains 200F at -20. The only issue I've ever had is with the puck feeder and that was last week. Apparently you have to clean the thing Puck feeder works fine now and I have another batch of fish in brine ready for a smoke tomorrow. I don't think a pellet style grille would fit the bill for low heat smoke. Pellet grills and Bradley smokers are apples vs oranges For fish a Bradley gets the nod.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewM View Post
How well is the fan able to handle the heat? Where abouts did you mount it?
I never did get around to mounting it as I only use it on jerky for the most part (trying to get it dried down as I use quite a wet brine). I'll do 10 racks of jerky at once so it's a lot of moisture to get rid of in a day. Just stick it in the door with wires coming out the door seal. Keeps air moving inside.
My bradley rarely runs hotter than 150f, all I use it for is smoking/ partial cooking, so no issues with heat on fan.

https://www.amazon.ca/SODIAL-x25mm-x...ateway&sr=8-14

Something like that
Old 03-26-2019, 10:00 AM

Cooked up a beef brisket on my friends' Lousiana pellet grill on the weekend and couldn't have been happier with the results. I just wish it'd go a little lower for when I'm curing sausages, but the grilling abilities are worth the trade-off.
Old 03-26-2019, 05:45 PM

Have had my Bradley for 7-8 years. Used steady. No issues.

Upgraded to a pit boss upright. Not even comparable. The pit boss is so much better at building and maintaining heat.