Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 03-14-2019, 12:09 PM

Default Switching shoulders to shoot, any experience?

So, I am a lefty, always shot off my left shoulder. Even when I was very young and my dad let me used his father's old 'Kings Rifles' 1918 303 British to start out with, I shot left and reached over to work the bolt. I've had a nice Ruger M77 lefty for the last 20 years and happy with it. Recently, when looking a bow I was told I am right eye dominant and should be shooting off the right shoulder. I've definitely noticed better vision in the right and when I do basic tests it seems my right eye definitely takes over.
So, how hard is it to switch your shooting side from left to right. I think sighting through my scope will be easier but getting used to the different 'stance' may be much tougher. Anyone have experience with this?
Thoughts and ideas are very much appreciated.
Old 03-14-2019, 12:36 PM

I always shot rifles right handed, when getting into archery I was shooting right hand recurves. My uncle was a competitive compound shooter and when he checked my eye dominance, I was left eye dominant, so he didn't even give me an option and set up a left handed compound. I've been shooting left handed archery for almost 20 years and the muscle memory has developed to the point that pulling a right handed bow feels awkward.

When I got into shotguns and handguns where there was more benefit to shooting left handed I gave it a try but the muscle memory from shooting rifles right handed took over and everything felt awkward. Ended up being too much of a struggle for me and went back to right handed and just awkwardly close my left eye or throw some scotch tape on the left lens of my shooting glasses.

If I had the gumption to keep with left handed shooting I think it would have eventually worked better than what I'm doing, but the frustration of re-learning the mechanics proved to be too much for me.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:18 PM

That's exactly it, you just need to re learn it.
Anything can be learned with enough practice, you just need to decide if you are willing to put in the time.

I have shot a couple of 3 gun matches with a guy that shoots equally well left or right handed. He sometimes switches mid stage. It can definitely be done.
Old 03-14-2019, 01:20 PM

Because my dominant eye had poor vision I learned to shoot left. I’ve had correction for my eyes now for 40 years and I thought I should switch back. No way if I can’t even get back to my right side right eye I don’t know how any body is going to switch to the wrong side. Anyway my left eye is dominant over sights now my right is no better. I don’t reach over for the bolt handle it sounds very awkward
Old 03-14-2019, 02:26 PM

When I shoot gophers I actively practice shooting off my right shoulder, normally left handed and left eye dominant. Have always shot with both eyes open but have to close left eye when shooting right handed. Not as comfortable but gets better as you do it more often. Never know when you are going to need to shoot wrong handed.
Old 03-14-2019, 09:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
When I shoot gophers I actively practice shooting off my right shoulder, normally left handed and left eye dominant. Have always shot with both eyes open but have to close left eye when shooting right handed. Not as comfortable but gets better as you do it more often. Never know when you are going to need to shoot wrong handed.
Same same just change right to left and the story is the same..I know some branches of the military train so they can shoot weak side as well..Police too I think.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 03-14-2019, 11:34 PM

Learning the stance and how to hold the gun is the easy part that just takes a bit of practice to get used to. What I find when switching back and forth is that your muscles ability to absorb recoil is almost zero I can shoot 6 rounds of skeet no problem right handed but if I switch to left after 2 rounds I'm done. It will just take some practice to get those muscles developed.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 03-25-2019, 12:24 AM

Few years back I lost most of the site in my right eye. I ended up doing some winter camping and the guys had the targets set up, I didn’t have any intention to try. But they talked me into trying lefy. I don’t remember how long it took but that same afternoon I was picking the cans off. It gave me some hope.
Luckily my sight came back after a few months, so I didn’t stick with it. But the Dr’s say I can lose it again and I’m glad I know it’s possible to switch if it happens.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:12 AM

I’m left eye dominant and shoot right handed, with a scope it matters not in the least which eye you’re using. Shotgun...different story. I switched to left one year when I was in a sling, with a sitting height bipod it worked fine.
Old 03-25-2019, 09:38 AM

they make a crossfire front sight for shotguns.Basically it's a fibre optic sight with a hood over it that it only allows you to see it with the desired eye,meaning if you are left eye dominant and trying to shoot right handed
They work well.