Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 07:47 PM

Default Canola

Just trying to get an idea of where the inventory of western produced canola currently lies.

As farmers, is your canola in bin, or what percentage is sold/unsold. Who’s feeling the pain from our problem with the Chinese
Old 03-24-2019, 07:51 PM

I'm in the canola storage business. Also very curious where this is going to lead to, for us all...
Old 03-24-2019, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
I'm in the canola storage business. Also very curious where this is going to lead to, for us all...
The market will self-correct. If China won't buy from us they'll have to buy elsewhere, that will take up production from somewhere else. 'Somewhere else' presently sells their canola all over the world and when more of their production is going to China there will be supply voids for other nations that need to be filled with Canadian Canola.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:09 PM

the market will self correct............... sounds like someone else who said the budget will balance itself....
Old 03-24-2019, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddleup View Post
the market will self correct............... sounds like someone else who said the budget will balance itself....
Do you think that supplying China will still leave other suppliers with the surplus to supply everywhere else?

Its no different than the oil market save for that growing seasons can be erratic. If we have poor production other suppliers generally make up for it. If other suppliers have a poor season and we have an excellent one then what will China do?

Free markets are by their very nature self-correcting. Its nothing like a budget whatsoever.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 PM

My company builds the majority % of agricultural storage bins in Canada. I'm not sure if this would be good or bad for us? If China's not buying canola, does that mean we will need more storage? Or does that mean farmers will stop growing canola and switch to other crops?
Old 03-24-2019, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
Or does that mean farmers will stop growing canola and switch to other crops?
I doubt they will stop but many will plant reduced acres for sure. This could be a good thing in disguise cause canola has been grown in ever shorter rotations which heightens the chance of the spread of disease. I'm hearing of more folks thinking of planting pulse crops which could bring those crops into a category of over abundance.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitw View Post
I doubt they will stop but many will plant reduced acres for sure. This could be a good thing in disguise cause canola has been grown in ever shorter rotations which heightens the chance of the spread of disease. I'm hearing of more folks thinking of planting pulse crops which could bring those crops into a category of over abundance.
Pretty sure a lot of farmers would have purchased their seed in the fall already so not real easy to reduce acreage or plant other crops.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaberTosser View Post
Do you think that supplying China will still leave other suppliers with the surplus to supply everywhere else?

Its no different than the oil market save for that growing seasons can be erratic. If we have poor production other suppliers generally make up for it. If other suppliers have a poor season and we have an excellent one then what will China do?

Free markets are by their very nature self-correcting. Its nothing like a budget whatsoever.
wondering how free the current markets are. I'm thinking that China has an opportunity to shift this supply over to the US, gaining credits for that dispute negotiating.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:34 PM

Simple. Don't let ANYTHING from China imported into Canada. Play their game.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-25-2019, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
wondering how free the current markets are. I'm thinking that China has an opportunity to shift this supply over to the US, gaining credits for that dispute negotiating.
I doubt that they want US either, its the US who had Canada arrest that Huawei executive in the first place. We're just a pawn between them, their beef is not with us in the first place as we're honoring our legal treaties with the US. Who wants to deal with nations who break their other agreements?
Old 03-25-2019, 04:20 PM

Quote:
I doubt that they want US either, its the US who had Canada arrest that Huawei executive in the first place. We're just a pawn between them, their beef is not with us in the first place as we're honoring our legal treaties with the US. Who wants to deal with nations who break their other agreements?
That doesn’t leave us with any markets. We certainly are a pawn, who’s shot themselves in the foot.
Old 03-25-2019, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Simple. Don't let ANYTHING from China imported into Canada. Play their game.
We could, but Canada's market is so small to them it is unlikely they would care, they might find it amusing, probably have a good laugh over it.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushrat View Post
We could, but Canada's market is so small to them it is unlikely they would care, they might find it amusing, probably have a good laugh over it.
Someone has to start some where..Maybe more will follow suit? Buy from the western hemisphere,,Canadian/North American South American?
Ever notice that the only good thing that comes from the east is the sun.

"Me neither but it's all in the eye of the beer holder"
norwestalta

.....out of bounds.....but funny none the less!

LC

"Funny how when a bear eats another bear, no one bats an eye, but......

when a human eats another human, people act like it's the end if the friggin world. News coverage, tweets, blogs, outrage, Piers Morgan etcetc.

Go figure." -Huntinstuff
Old 03-25-2019, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcmm View Post
Someone has to start some where..Maybe more will follow suit? Buy from the western hemisphere,,Canadian/North American South American?
Ever notice that the only good thing that comes from the east is the sun.
I Agree, we need someone like the US to follow suit for the Chinese to take notice.
Old 03-26-2019, 07:58 AM

Default Canola

Trumper is having his own problems, China quit buying American Soya beans, so their farmers are also felling Chinas pain. Our farmers are in for some heavy hurt as we are largest world canola producers and China a significant market. Let the little lady in Vancouver go home.
Old 03-26-2019, 09:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Trumper is having his own problems, China quit buying American Soya beans, so their farmers are also felling Chinas pain. Our farmers are in for some heavy hurt as we are largest world canola producers and China a significant market. Let the little lady in Vancouver go home.
The last thing we should do is submit to bully tactics, that just encourages more of the same. Remember this is the same nation that is shipping fentanil and carfentanil to our shores.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:04 AM

I personally will boycott china and have been for a very long time now.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyAlberta View Post
That doesn’t leave us with any markets. We certainly are a pawn, who’s shot themselves in the foot.
Yep. End reality is China doesn't need us, and truthfully, US could survive without us as well. Meanwhile, we're heavily dependent on both. Have to play nice.

As for boycotting China and their products... you may as well go live in the bush and survive off the elements with no material goods because damn near everything we use has China's finger prints on it somewhere. Your shirt, computer, phone, shoes, almost all nearby plastics--all have China involved somewhere in the supply chain. It's like boycotting oil.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:41 PM

Take the canola, leave the gun.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 03-26-2019, 12:49 PM

Quote:
The last thing we should do is submit to bully tactics, that just encourages more of the same. Remember this is the same nation that is shipping fentanil and carfentanil to our shores.
I agree Caber. Once they know we will give to a bit of pressure, then the demands start becoming more frequent.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:27 PM

Viterra got revoke as well ..