Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-24-2019, 09:54 PM

Default Best potato varieties for a potato box?

I am trying to figure out the best variety of potato to use in a potato box. I have scoured the Internet and searched this forum with little successs. For some background I have tried a potato box the last 2 years but with minimal success. I got a 6 lb yield last year but they only grew on the bottom layer, so they defeated the purpose of the box. Both years I have used Russet Burbank and I think it’s time to try a new variety. Has anyone here on the forum grown potato box crops successfully and if so what variety do you plant? I should mention that I’m in the Edmonton region of the province. Any other growing tips for the box are greatly appreciated as well.
Old 03-24-2019, 10:48 PM

I got into potatoes some years back when I had enough area at the lake.

No point trying to grow what you can buy for $10 at Costco.

Think different, as you cannot buy these varieties, at least not easily:

- Banana Potatoes (My favorite) Think a fingerling potato served in very good restaurants, with a nice nutty flavor.

- Russian Blue. A Purple flesh potato that cooks up purple - blue. Very tasty. Will have everyone scratching their head on the color.

- French Fingerling. A red skin yellow flesh potato that is excellent in the deep fryer.

These are not large potatoes, and not super high yield, but they are unique and very tasty. And you will look long and hard to find them in any but the specialty grocery stores.

Drewski
Old 03-24-2019, 11:40 PM

I second the Russian Banana potatoes, solanum tuberosum. They are the best. As far as yield when I grew them in good black loam soil around Edmonton region and I would get not bad yields. They never grow longer than 6 or 7 inches long and an inch or two diameter. Usually smaller. I would get 30 to 40 of all sizes per plant/ hill. I used to put in 50 plants and would end up with 150 or so pounds on an average year. Harvest late. Let the ground dry before harvesting. They keep well in a potato cellar or cold room too.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 03-25-2019, 10:17 AM

I have never seen a potato box work, except on Pinterest. Watched lots of videos and hilling seems equally effective.
Old 03-25-2019, 04:08 PM

Default Taters

We have good luck with Yukon Gold's and a few Reds. We are in zone 5 if I remember right.
Old 03-25-2019, 05:05 PM

Norland Red.
Old 03-26-2019, 11:32 AM

Tried potato boxes a few times. Won't do it again. It worked but wasn't worth the extra effort. IMO.

Now if you're short on space or just want to try something different, that's a different story.

Also, when factoring time and cost into it is it ever really cheaper to grow your own in the end? End product is worth it though.
Old 03-26-2019, 01:25 PM

Thank you Buckbrush,

That was my point exactly.

If you want to grow potatoes, get ones that you CANNOT readily buy.

That is the value, and after you try these non commercial varieties, you will agree they are a superior product that is worthy of the time and effort.

Drewski
Old 03-26-2019, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brslk View Post
Norland Red.
I'd agree with that as I'm pretty sure that was the red variety H & A produce grew in the Peace Country in the 60s and 70s. 120 tons off 80 acres if I recall. Having said that, about half the crop was netted gems (Russett Burbanks as they're known now). Both very successful varieties in what was the largest Northernmost farm at the time if what I was told is right.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:05 PM

Thanks for everyone’s input.
Old 04-02-2019, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f_train22 View Post
I am trying to figure out the best variety of potato to use in a potato box. I have scoured the Internet and searched this forum with little successs. For some background I have tried a potato box the last 2 years but with minimal success. I got a 6 lb yield last year but they only grew on the bottom layer, so they defeated the purpose of the box. Both years I have used Russet Burbank and I think it’s time to try a new variety. Has anyone here on the forum grown potato box crops successfully and if so what variety do you plant? I should mention that I’m in the Edmonton region of the province. Any other growing tips for the box are greatly appreciated as well.
Are you giving enough time before layering? In my own experience, low yields tend to result from rushing the cover of new growth.
Once you've planted, let the crowns hit one inch of clear growth before you bury them again. Stop after youre 10 inches up from planting depth and water nightly. I grow Russet or Yukon Gold because they make the best mash & fries imo.
Old 04-02-2019, 11:49 AM

Purple caribe...
Old 04-02-2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingrat View Post
Purple caribe...
X2 good spuds.i also have lots of seed.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life,there would be a shortage of fishing poles.Doug larson. Theres a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot. Steven Wright.
Old 04-03-2019, 06:27 AM

Banana potatoes are our favorite, we got our seed potatoes from my wife's baba, she got the seed from her mom who got it from her mom. Baba told me the storey and said the seed potatoes were originally brought from the Ukraine. It's hard to believe that the seed potatoes have been carried over for so many years but it's still very cool planting them and growing them and also very tasty. Baba is 92 now and in the lodge now so we really have to take care of the seed potatoes now.
Old 04-03-2019, 07:31 AM

Lightbulb

Any lead to Where can I buy the banana potato seed in Edmonton?? would like to try growing some this year .
Old 04-03-2019, 08:17 AM

Default babies in a bale

My sister and her late husband grew baby potatoes for the farmer's market by growing them in a bale of straw. They come out perfectly dirt-free, of course, and taste great. As for variety, they grew many of the above listed potatoes, plus Burbank Gold and the red ones. All taste great when small - my tasting can verify that.

As for location, this was in Red Deer. Also a black soil region, but since it was in a bale, that didn't really count in this case.

Just make sure to keep them watered, was her recommendation.
Old 04-03-2019, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TargetRick View Post
My sister and her late husband grew baby potatoes for the farmer's market by growing them in a bale of straw. They come out perfectly dirt-free, of course, and taste great. As for variety, they grew many of the above listed potatoes, plus Burbank Gold and the red ones. All taste great when small - my tasting can verify that.

As for location, this was in Red Deer. Also a black soil region, but since it was in a bale, that didn't really count in this case.

Just make sure to keep them watered, was her recommendation.
I don't grow in a bale but I throw seed potatoes on the ground and cover them with straw. Easy! Not much cleaning either.
How do you grow them in a bale?

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)