Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 11:11 AM

Beautiful ram, I am sure she thought it was well worth the wait in the end. You need to get permission so we can see the rest of the pics.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:13 AM
sheephunter

Thanks for the story and photo live2hunt...that is an awesome ram.

There are always two sides to a story but it always worries me when a "professional" talks out of school in public about one of his clients, regardless of whether it's true or not. Somethings are best left in camp and I'm certain the outfitter would agree.

Don't let a few negative comments on this board keep you away. Welcome and hopefully you can share some more stories of your hunting adventures.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:28 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
X2!
Great ram and now I've heard a new opinion of Randy to boot!
That's a stab in the back from around the corner
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2HuntSheep View Post
I have watched this forum in hopes of learning what I can and help in assisting my sister in making the right decisions for her quest to harvest a true Alberta bighorn after purchasing the premier tag. One thing I learned in this effort was what a great forum and a great bunch of enthusiastic hunters sharing stories, information and pictures. I am truly envious of what a truly special thing you all have up North for opportunities to hunt sheep and all the trophy opportunity that exists. I am very lucky to have had the opportunities to come up there and hunt sheep.
I have attached a picture of her ram she harvested on Nov 29th. The ram is 41”x 15 5/8” and the CO rough scored the ram around 193. A true representation of what Alberta bighorns are all about. I cropped her picture because I did not get permission from her to post it and she is not one to brag about herself. I don’t really want her to see a couple of the miss construed posts either. What a great hunt and unbelievable area. The weather will test your nerves! We did hunt with Randy and he is a first class professional and has all of our respect.
I would however like to clear a little bit of the muddy water from the quote in my reply by sheepguide.
Yes I did fly down half way through her Stone hunt in BC. Not to pack her gun and supplies. I originally planed to be with her the whole hunt but could not leave home at the start of the hunt. My sister, my brother in law and I always support each other on our sheep hunt when we can. My brother in law was also hunting sheep in another camp and we felt it was more beneficial for me to help her on her hunt. I love hunting sheep and who would pass up sheep hunting over having to work when you have the opportunity. She had her sites set pretty high with a 165 or better ram. I hunted the area in the same camp for 31 days the 2 previous seasons and from that we knew this was not going to be an easy challenge. Having another pair of eyes on the mountain was going to increase her odds of finding a ram she was looking for.
I believe your comment “She is a handful” may reflects her passing four rams equal to or better than all the rams you harvested with the exception of your last one. Two of which we could have taken on her third and second to the last day of her hunt within less than a 30 minute hike from camp. On her last day she harvested the best ram she seen on the hunt which was 9 years old 36”. If memory serves me correct this was a pretty hot topic earlier this year between yourself and other forum members and your belief was to many hunters was killing little rams and not holding out for the bigger rams or even going home with the tag in their pocket.
She walked into every basin her guide asked her to go and I know personally a fare share of his past hunters did not make it into half of the ones she did. Yes I did help pack her gun. Yes she is not as strong as some hunters and I was fresh and could save her energy by taking some of the weight off her. I also packed the tripod for the spotting scope to share the weight of it with the guide. She packed her own back pack with her gear, lunch and drinks.
Maybe it was the day we was to fly out and the pilot lost his nerve and would not land and take off in the snow at the upper camp. In all the years the guide has guided in the camp all the other past pilots managed to due it. So she took the 7 hour horse ride out and she showed her frustration. Yet she could have been out a day earlier if we would have busted out that late afternoon when we got the note drop from the airplane to ride to lower camp air strip were there was less snow, but it would affect the next hunters hunt and she chose to wait to lessen the impact of his hunt.
I recall two hunters on this particular hunt quit their hunt early because of all the logistical problems with the airplane and they were afraid they would not get out on the day they was scheduled to be out. One was the antlered hunter from your camp and the other was the antlered hunter from her camp.
Sorry if I seem just a little frustrated but your comment left the wrong impression to me, to Rockymtnx per his reply and left the window open for ForestDweller to add in to something that is simply not correct. I believe you should know the facts before putting something out like that and if your intent was not wrong you should have corrected it after Rockymtnx replied to it.
The hunt with Randy was awesome and a lifetime experience. There was no head butting or conflicts between her, Randy or any of us. I am sure their was times of frustration but pretty minor and yes everyone’s nerves were getting tense due to Nov 30th being the last day she could hunt. She set her goal for 190 or better and she got it done. She passed rams clear to the day she harvested including the ram Kim harvested. We had the ram spotted on the other side of the mountain from Darryl and Kim, Her goal was for 190 and we were not sure he would make it and we thought Darryl and Kim was in the area so we looked on for other options. After reading the story I am really glad we did not go for this ram. No one would want to be the fault of interrupting a great scenario like that, which leads into the great memories and story they have.
I hope you have a better picture of her than what the comment represented. She is a true sheep hunter. Sheep is the only animal she hunts. Yes she has her down falls just like all of us do, but I am pretty proud she just completed her grand slam harvesting the four best rams she found on her four hunts. She has walked off the mountain with unfilled tags in her pocket and could have killed smaller young aged rams. Two of her rams are book rams. She killed all four of her sheep with one good clean shot on each ram. Wish I could say that!
Congratulations to Darryl and Kim for their two Very Nice Rams!
Keep sharing all the awesome stories and information
Happy Hunting,
Classy response...

I think some one just got their lunch handed to them. That's what happens when you shoot your mouth off. Very unprofessional.

Good on your Sister for doing what she does.
Please keep posting and sharing some pics.

And BTW thank your Sister for buying the tag. All that $$ goes to some great causes here in Alberta.

Jamie
Jamie

Last edited by Jamie; 12-11-2009 at 11:50 AM.
Old 12-11-2009, 11:37 AM

Great Ram Live2Hunt and thanks for the story and pic..

Like Podman says get some permission so we can see some better pics...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:03 PM

Great ram live2hunt, my congrats to your sister!

If you don't mind, tell her I said pretty please, and we'd like to see pics of all 4 of her grand slam sheep...
Old 12-11-2009, 12:22 PM

Great job Girl, congrats.

Now that season is over can you tell us if it was harvested on hot rocks,tower or slaughter. again what a feat by a woman, that must of been awsome to see her harvest them sheep and be there with her to complete the slam, a dream of mine for sure.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Great ram live2hunt, my congrats to your sister!

If you don't mind, tell her I said pretty please, and we'd like to see pics of all 4 of her grand slam sheep...
Congrats, I'm with Rocks on that request too!
Old 12-11-2009, 12:52 PM

She is very happy with her Alberta ram and her decision to stick it out. I will talk to her and get you some more pictures. I will send some of all her sheep. The desert she just harvested in Mexico a week to the date after harvesting her Alberta ram is a definite. Part of the reason she only had to Nov 30th instead of Dec 15th. He is a real stud as well! 178 1/8”
I believe “Rocks” pretty please from you may work!
Her tag was the action tag. We support the action and raffle programs as much as we can. The money does really do great things for the wildlife. We have areas that would not even have sheep if it was not for the auction and raffle programs.
The action tag is something we have always had our eyes on for the past several years but not the funding to support it. We have worked pretty hard to build my brother in laws business the past 13 years so that some day we could and it started the year before last when he finally got to purchase a desert tag in Mexico.
This year she got her Desert in Mexico and my brother in law after some liquid courage cold not resist the Alberta tag and gave it to her so she would be able to complete her grand slam the same year he did.
The negative comments will not effect my involvement to the forum. Readying and being involved is what is going to teach me to be a better hunter and get me through to the next season.
Even though my post does not show it I really did not want to bash or make sheepguide look bad just wanted to get it strait and maybe should have had a beer first.
I also did not do any justice for the Outfitter in BC. He was really awesome to all of us and even with the logistical nightmares he had to work through that was out of his control. He never quit and put his best foot forward and did what he had to do to make it happen for all three of us. We are all three very appreciative to him and those with in his team that supported our efforts to harvest our stone sheep.
Thanks for all your congrats to her on this ram she really did work hard and did what it took to get this ram.
I will also work on some other pic’s and stories of past hunts to share with you all. Since I have only been taking by ready yours.
Old 12-11-2009, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunslinger View Post
Great job Girl, congrats.

Now that season is over can you tell us if it was harvested on hot rocks,tower or slaughter. again what a feat by a woman, that must of been awsome to see her harvest them sheep and be there with her to complete the slam, a dream of mine for sure.
The Hot rocks! It was awsome to be with her. I was with her on the the three sheep this year. Her first ram was her dall three years ago in Alaska and I could not go. The best was the Alberta ram. She worked hard and that hunt is not for the week hearted physically or mentally. When the ram went she was on an all time high
Old 12-11-2009, 01:49 PM

Default Congrats

Thanks for the story on the Sheep hunts and also for giving us the other side of the events. Congrats to your sister on her accomplishments!! Sounds like she worked very hard to achieve them.

The old saying of "don't bite the hand that feeds you" comes to mind!

Would love to see the full photo if your sis approved.
Old 12-11-2009, 02:32 PM

Quote:
The Hot rocks! It was awsome to be with her. I was with her on the the three sheep this year. Her first ram was her dall three years ago in Alaska and I could not go. The best was the Alberta ram. She worked hard and that hunt is not for the week hearted physically or mentally. When the ram went she was on an all time high
What an accomplishment, huge! Congrats to her, and those that helped!
Got the Stones ram out of the picture, now to start the bighorns, and applying for Dalls here in BC. Be nice to get an unguided 3/4 slam seeing as it's possible here in BC.
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 12-11-2009, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetailsheds View Post
What an accomplishment, huge! Congrats to her, and those that helped!
Got the Stones ram out of the picture, now to start the bighorns, and applying for Dalls here in BC. Be nice to get an unguided 3/4 slam seeing as it's possible here in BC.
That is the great thing you have up North. So many options for sheep.
Stick with it. It about luck and I believe in luck.
"The harder I work the luckier I get"
If you can pull it off apply for any desert hunts you can in the states. Most don't require a guide. We would go with you and you could count it unguided as well. We dont guide we go to hunt sheep and be ith friends so that is clasified as unguided in my book
Old 12-11-2009, 03:11 PM

Simply awesome sheep everyone
Old 12-11-2009, 05:08 PM

Ok it took some work but I got her permision. This post will include her Alberta and Desert rams.The next post will include her Stone and my brother in laws Stone, Moose and Goat he got on the same hunt in a different camp.
I don't have any for her Dall but she will get me one in the next couple days.
One of the pictures of the Alberta Bighorn will show you what the ram meant to her after all the hard work and the release of the tension as she was pushing into the final days of the hunt.
Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Alberta 2009 249.JPG (179.1 KB, 595 views)
File Type: jpg Alberta 2009 258.JPG (172.4 KB, 579 views)
File Type: jpg Alberta 2009 082.jpg (41.2 KB, 549 views)
File Type: jpg Alberta 2009 081.jpg (41.6 KB, 512 views)
File Type: jpg Alberta 2009 265.JPG (117.7 KB, 490 views)
File Type: jpg Desert 2009 336.JPG (132.5 KB, 484 views)
File Type: jpg Desert 2009 380.JPG (139.5 KB, 391 views)
File Type: jpg Desert 2009 349.JPG (150.3 KB, 383 views)
Old 12-11-2009, 05:10 PM

Here are the pictures from the BC trip.
Enjoy!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Stone Sheep BC 2009 016.jpg (60.4 KB, 475 views)
File Type: jpg Stone Sheep BC 2009 032.jpg (85.3 KB, 389 views)
File Type: jpg Stone Sheep BC 2009 130.JPG (143.6 KB, 369 views)
File Type: jpg Goat BC 2009 153.JPG (134.0 KB, 413 views)
File Type: jpg Moose BC 2009 092.JPG (155.8 KB, 405 views)
Old 12-11-2009, 05:15 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Ok it took some work but I got her permision. This post will include her Alberta and Desert rams.The next post will include her Stone and my brother in laws Stone, Moose and Goat he got on the same hunt in a different camp.
One of the pictures of the Alberta Bighorn will show you what the ram meant to her after all the hard work and the release of the tension as she was pushing into the final days of the hunt.
Enjoy!
I love that first picture...it kind of says it all!

Thanks for sharing. Thirteen points for me in Arizona...one day soon for the desert!

Congrats to your sister for all her hard work!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:16 PM

My son and I have started putting in for sheep and I would gladly carry his rifle and I hope that he would carry mine if need be. For an average joe these hunts are a once in a lifetime experience.

With no sheep hunting experience behind me I see these hunts as a team effort, guide, hunter and who ever else is fortunate enough to be along. If some needs help umm HELP THEM that what good hunters do...

I say good for you Live2HuntSheep for helping your sisters chase her dreams. What better place to be if your not the one with the tag then right there.

I'm sure other will have opinions on this and good on ya this is mine.

Would very much like to see some field photos.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!
Amazing....and Thank you !
Old 12-11-2009, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
I love that first picture...it kind of says it all!

Thanks for sharing. Thirteen points for me in Arizona...one day soon for the desert!

Congrats to your sister for all her hard work!
Arizonia is a good one and with the points you have you are getting close. Same goes for you sheephunter if you draw the tag we love to hunt sheep and would be happy to help what we could.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:38 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Arizonia is a good one and with the points you have you are getting close. Same goes for you sheephunter if you draw the tag we love to hunt sheep and would be happy to help what we could.
Much appreciated. I hunted elk in Arizona last year and can't wait to get back with a sheep tag in my pocket! Hopefully soon. I took the plunge and actually applied this year rather than just buying bonus points...fingers are crossed.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:42 PM

AWSOME, that first photo is wicked.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:45 PM
jrs

Those are awesome pictures. Congratulations to her on a great ram. Sometimes waiting until the last minute pans out, especially when you know there's a pile of 190 rams just waiting to wander a bit far. Thanks for sharing.
Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Enjoy!
Thank you very much for posting those pictures. I thought it was great you came on here to tell the story, I enjoyed reading it. You guys have some great animals there, some great pictures and I'm sure some great memories. I can imagine how proud you are of your sister and she should be proud of her accomplishment. Look forward to the dall pics!

How big was the goat?
Old 12-11-2009, 05:46 PM

Great pictures!!

But the first one is INCREDIBLE....

After reading your post, then seeing THAT photo...
It made me...uhhhmm...'blink'... really fast (I'm just tired...ya that's it...tired)

THAT PHOTO....is what hunting is all about!
Old 12-11-2009, 05:57 PM

Congrats to your sis, just amazing to harvest 3 rams in one year, to complete her slam.She accomplished more in one year than most will in a lifetime,truley amazing. The first pic with that monster alberta ram is what makes sheep hunting all worth it no matter the size.I take my hat off to you girl, congrats again.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:39 PM

Live2huntsheep
Thanks for your great post and pictures congrats to your whole family.
Old 12-11-2009, 06:55 PM

Bravo....and a tip of the hat to ya! Pass that on to sis, L2HS! Truly a feat! Placing photos on the web opens up channels for all kinds of remarks to be made, some good and some, well....not so tasteful.
Your posting (and other sheep threads for that matter) do nothing but fan the flame of sheep hunting passion. Thank you!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 12-11-2009, 07:44 PM

L2hs, I apologize on how my response sounded, what I was saying is, I had heard how passionate, dedicated and motivated she is. Its no simple task going up into those mountains in that wind and elements, let alone everyday for a month! Thats very impressive! To guide a hunter with that motivation and willingness to succeed is what I meant on being a ''hand full''. I congratulate her on her sheep, its well earned and she deserved a great ram!
The 1st picture says it all alright!
Old 12-11-2009, 08:21 PM

WOW! Im very impressed with all the sheep and Goats. I would trade a year of hunting whitetails for a chance to hunt a bighorn. Congrats to you all.