Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-11-2009, 09:58 PM

all I can say is truley amazing .. the stories and the photos are what we live for and there is nothing that can take those memories away from us as hunters .. Thanks for taking the time to share you adventures with us . congrats to your sister !!
Old 12-12-2009, 11:14 AM

Live2huntsheep,
Totally awesome pictures!!!
Like everyone else has said, that first pic shows the true sportsmanship and respect your sister has for the hunt.
Thanks for sharing!!!!!

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Benelli, Sako, Beretta, Tikka, Franchi, Burris, & Steiner
Old 12-12-2009, 12:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
Thank you very much for posting those pictures. I thought it was great you came on here to tell the story, I enjoyed reading it. You guys have some great animals there, some great pictures and I'm sure some great memories. I can imagine how proud you are of your sister and she should be proud of her accomplishment. Look forward to the dall pics!

How big was the goat?
Rocks I believe the got was just short of 9" and a little better then 5" on the base.
Old 12-12-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForestDweller View Post
L2hs, I apologize on how my response sounded, what I was saying is, I had heard how passionate, dedicated and motivated she is. Its no simple task going up into those mountains in that wind and elements, let alone everyday for a month! Thats very impressive! To guide a hunter with that motivation and willingness to succeed is what I meant on being a ''hand full''. I congratulate her on her sheep, its well earned and she deserved a great ram!
The 1st picture says it all alright!
ForestDweller, I appreciate your last post clarifing what you ment. I apologize if I turned what you meant as positive and made it look negative.
Old 12-12-2009, 04:59 PM

Wow, I thought y'all were still talking about not getting to see those two other Cadomin rams. What a dandy, and the desert is gorgeous too! Job well done, it takes some courage to let lesser beings walk, and wait for the big one. I'm not very good at it.

Frans
Old 12-13-2009, 10:01 PM

Wow, those are awesome pics. Thanks for getting them up there! That first one says it all! Congrats again to everyone! Wonderful memories to have been on those hunts!
Old 12-14-2009, 07:43 AM
sheephunter

Okay, it's been a couple days...where are the Dall photos????

I need to live vicariously through someone..lol
Old 12-14-2009, 01:04 PM

Default Thanks for sharing all the pics Live2HuntSheep

Thanks for sharing all the pics Live2HuntSheep and the stories. These keep us going in the off season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
This sheep hunting thread seems to be missing a regular contributor for some reason

Hmmm, seems like this has happened twice on this thread. Interesting.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Okay, it's been a couple days...where are the Dall photos????

I need to live vicariously through someone..lol
Sorry I have been working on it. Here you go!
This was three years ago in Alaska. Her first ram 10 years old.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dall Sheep.JPG (27.2 KB, 415 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2HuntSheep View Post
Sorry I have been working on it. Here you go!
This was three years ago in Alaska. Her first ram 10 years old.
Your sister is truely a sheep hunting nut!
Thanks for sharing again.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-14-2009, 05:32 PM
sheephunter

Thanks for the pic...he looks like a great ram.

Any chance of seeing a bigger picture of the one in your avatar? He looks like a real stud!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:02 PM

Quote:

Any chance of seeing a bigger picture of the one in your avatar? He looks like a real stud!
x2....looks like a great pic!!!
Old 12-14-2009, 06:18 PM

L2HS that's a nice dall your sister took. You working on your slam too?

I don't think I'll ever go for desert but would like to get the other three.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:33 PM

Thanks for sharing the pictures! those are all great animals, and stories.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:22 PM

Quote:

Sheephunter & Rackmaster
No problem sorry just a little slow!
This is my lucky ram. I got this ram in the NWT in 08. I won this hunt at the Sheep show in San Antonio, TX in 2005.The hunt was for the following year. My brother-in-law and I wanted to add him in for a 2 on 1 10-day back pack hunt. The outfitter agreed but we would have to wait three years. Man that was a long wait!
The first three days was in camp with bad weather. The Caribou was moving and two nice bulls moved up the river next to camp, so we took advantage of it and ended up with a couple nice bulls. The next three days we seen some good rams but none we wanted to shoot. Day seven my brother-in-law made a great spot on three rams that took us all day to get close enough to tell ehat we had. Before dark we could tell there was a shooter so we set up camp. The next morning we woke up to four rams and two shooters. We made a play on the rams that day, but they moved out and we never caught up to them. The next morning we woke to a new ram all alone that looked good, My brother-in-law and I decided due to it being day eight of a ten day hunt and one days walk from the closes landing strip we would count to three and shoot together. We got right on the ram and at the count of thee my brother-in-law shoot good and I was way off. After taking care of his ram we discovered my side adjustment screw on my scope split in half. After talking to the outfitter he wanted us to hunt clear through day ten and he would make the necessary adjustments for being late getting out. We camped and the next morning we spotted rams back in the area the four was on day seven. We also spotted a new lone ram. After closer review we decided the lone ram looked real good and was the one we was going to make a play on. So I took my brother-in-laws gun, which is and set up identical to mine. Make, maodel, cal, scope and sighted in all the same. We got into 683 yards and the wind was going bad with nothing to offer us a chance to close the distance and an hour left of daylight. My brother-in-law told me I needed to make the shot. I hesitated at first. We shot long distance at home all the time, but one always wants to close the gap as much as possible. I realized if I was taking a sheep home this was it. We set up packs and I benched down. First shot hit him in the heart and by the time I had the next one in the tube he had taken one step and it was over.
I have included pics of both rams and the caribous. I will work on short story and pics of my stone!
My ram was 11 years old 38 1/2" x 131/2"
My brother-in-laws ram was 11 years old 35" x 14"
Attached Images
File Type: jpg L2HS Dall 85.jpg (147.1 KB, 355 views)
File Type: jpg L2HS Dall 90.jpg (169.4 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg L2HS Dall 985.JPG (129.8 KB, 265 views)
File Type: jpg B-law Dall 37.jpg (150.6 KB, 284 views)
File Type: jpg B-law Dall 41.jpg (155.9 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg L2HS Caribou.JPG (133.7 KB, 281 views)
File Type: jpg B- Law Caribou.JPG (195.2 KB, 272 views)
Old 12-14-2009, 09:30 PM

nice pics all around, appreciate it
Old 12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
sheephunter

Man, that is a dream sheep for sure. Congrats! Who was the outfitter?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:40 PM

Beautiful shots J! Thanks for posting. Great ram ya took there!
"I am fascinated by the wild, rough country sheep are found. I love the long-continued excitement of the stalk. I even enjoy the disappointments and the frustrations, those stalks that go astray when the sheep have moved, and the wind changes." - JOC
Old 12-14-2009, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocks View Post
L2HS that's a nice dall your sister took. You working on your slam too?

I don't think I'll ever go for desert but would like to get the other three.
Rocks,
Yes I am working on my slam to. I am building points in all the states down here and play ever raffle I can. I got a sister that I assure you is going to push me to meet my quest for my own slam. I drew a tag in my home state for a Rocky in 1997. This was my first sheep hunt and man did I have a lot to learn. Found one nice ram one night and put him to bed and never found him again. I could have shot two small four year old rams, but were I live it is once in a lifetime when you pull the trigger and I decided to take the chance to draw again. I have killed two Dall rams. My first was in the Alaska Range about nine years ago. I got an eight year old ram that is pretty small but is still a true trophy to me. My next was the NWT Dall from the previous post. I then followed my NWT Dall with my stone from BC. I will try and put together a short story and pics of that hunt in the next couple days.
I love to hunt antlered game as well, but there is something about those curly horns and the areas they live in that brings back the desire in me to hunt them even if I don’t have the tag in my pocket. Hope I have many more chances with family and friends!
The desert is tough and seems like a long shot, but is possible and within reach. I hope you due pursue the other three! With hard work and success it is hard to beat a good sheep hunt.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Man, that is a dream sheep for sure. Congrats! Who was the outfitter?
Arctic Red. It just changed hands this year and still took good sheep. I had a couple friend I met on our hunt last year that went back this year and they both did real well.
Old 12-14-2009, 09:57 PM

Once again great animals. Congrats.
That second pic is my favorite. Gotta love the background.

www.dmoa.ca

Pro Staff member for:
Old 12-14-2009, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
nice pics all around, appreciate it
Bingo1010,
Great signature. On one of the hunts this fall we seen a ram way off on the move and I made the dumb coment. I am sure we cannot catch him! That was the exact response I got back. Man I tought to myself better toughen up big boy if you want to play in this game!
Old 12-14-2009, 10:17 PM

WOW!!!

Absolutely outstanding thread!

L2HS Welcome aboard, and thanks for sharing.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-14-2009, 10:51 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Live2HuntSheep View Post
Arctic Red. It just changed hands this year and still took good sheep. I had a couple friend I met on our hunt last year that went back this year and they both did real well.
Ah, that explains it..lol I know Kelly well. It is an awesome area. I've had a few friends that have guided there and I know several people that have hunted it as well.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:57 PM

Once again, great pics! Thanks for taking the time to post them and write up the stories. You've got a great group you hunt with! Looking forward to your Stone.

Cheers
Old 12-14-2009, 11:32 PM
Banned

I would however like to clear a little bit of the muddy water from the quote in my reply by sheepguide.
Yes I did fly down half way through her Stone hunt in BC. Not to pack her gun and supplies. I originally planed to be with her the whole hunt but could not leave home at the start of the hunt. My sister, my brother in law and I always support each other on our sheep hunt when we can. My brother in law was also hunting sheep in another camp and we felt it was more beneficial for me to help her on her hunt. I love hunting sheep and who would pass up sheep hunting over having to work when you have the opportunity. She had her sites set pretty high with a 165 or better ram. I hunted the area in the same camp for 31 days the 2 previous seasons and from that we knew this was not going to be an easy challenge. Having another pair of eyes on the mountain was going to increase her odds of finding a ram she was looking for.
I believe your comment “She is a handful” may reflects her passing four rams equal to or better than all the rams you harvested with the exception of your last one. Two of which we could have taken on her third and second to the last day of her hunt within less than a 30 minute hike from camp. On her last day she harvested the best ram she seen on the hunt which was 9 years old 36”. If memory serves me correct this was a pretty hot topic earlier this year between yourself and other forum members and your belief was to many hunters was killing little rams and not holding out for the bigger rams or even going home with the tag in their pocket.
She walked into every basin her guide asked her to go and I know personally a fare share of his past hunters did not make it into half of the ones she did. Yes I did help pack her gun. Yes she is not as strong as some hunters and I was fresh and could save her energy by taking some of the weight off her. I also packed the tripod for the spotting scope to share the weight of it with the guide. She packed her own back pack with her gear, lunch and drinks.
Maybe it was the day we was to fly out and the pilot lost his nerve and would not land and take off in the snow at the upper camp. In all the years the guide has guided in the camp all the other past pilots managed to due it. So she took the 7 hour horse ride out and she showed her frustration. Yet she could have been out a day earlier if we would have busted out that late afternoon when we got the note drop from the airplane to ride to lower camp air strip were there was less snow, but it would affect the next hunters hunt and she chose to wait to lessen the impact of his hunt.
I recall two hunters on this particular hunt quit their hunt early because of all the logistical problems with the airplane and they were afraid they would not get out on the day they was scheduled to be out. One was the antlered hunter from your camp and the other was the antlered hunter from her camp.

The hunt with Randy was awesome and a lifetime experience. There was no head butting or conflicts between her, Randy or any of us.
Two of her rams are book rams. She killed all four of her sheep with one good clean shot on each ram. Wish I could say that!
[/QUOTE]

Just to keep a few things straight; I never commented on people killing bigger rams but commented on killing mature older rams. In B.C I ran a 100% 9.5yr old average. Well above the provincal average.

Second no hunters left early out of our camp other than due to the -20 weather on the last hunt, we trailed out 15hrs 2 days early due to having rivers freezing over and a pilot in bed rest due to illness. And if we would not have trailed out on this day as did every camp in the outfit the horses may still be in there.

Third she was a handful. I never said she was a bad person or a bad hunter I stated the facts. I never said names or put her down because she turned down rams, Some hunters(being guided) are more needy than others, this is a fact. Some are spoiled some are lazy i never said she was either i just said she needed a hand and that it wasnt easy on Terry!!! Im glad that she had a good hunt with Randy and killed a tremenduse ram. And the part of Her and Randy butting heads wasnt all to due with Her!

If things I said offended you or her I appologize but dont retract anything that I said.

SG

Last edited by sheepguide; 12-14-2009 at 11:37 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 AM
Banned

Yep and both sides can be BS, and mis leading.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockymtnx View Post
Thanks for clearing up the story. Before any of us jumped to conclusions we should have remembered that there is always two sides to a story.
Congrats to your sister on a incredible Alberta bighorn. That indeed is one true trophy.
Thanks for sharing with us.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:13 AM
Banned

Quote:
Thanks for the story and photo live2hunt...that is an awesome ram.

There are always two sides to a story but it always worries me when a "professional" talks out of school in public about one of his clients, regardless of whether it's true or not. Somethings are best left in camp and I'm certain the outfitter would agree.

Don't let a few negative comments on this board keep you away. Welcome and hopefully you can share some more stories of your hunting adventures.
Well the outfitter can agree or disagree I feel no need to get his permision to write my thoughts!
And what I talk about worries you? It has no bearing on you. If you see sheepguide above it, dont read it. Id hate to worry you to much.

People write things that not everyone agrees with or beleives should be printed. You as an outdoor writter should know this. Just because I read your stuff and think some of it is idiotic and misrepresented and shouldnt be printed, doesnt mean it is or that everyone thinks that way. Freedom of speech. And I intend to use mine thanks.
SG
Old 12-15-2009, 12:16 AM

Now that is few good looking rams. Thanks for the pictures. I really like that Dall
Old 12-15-2009, 12:39 AM
Gone Hunting

I agree. A culmination of a lifetime of work. Trophies of a lifetime. Thanks for making an effort to share your rams. Post hunting season photo's and stories are tough to beat!

It's just Alberta boys... Take what you can while you can,, if ya cant beat em join em.

Keep a strain on er