Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-25-2010, 12:46 PM

Default Heading to Alberta!

Hey everyone I'm new to this forum! I'm a die hard hunter from the far east, New Brunswick! I've always dreamed of heading out west to work in the oil industry and experience the hunting. In last april I took a pre-employment course to work as a floorhand or leasand on a drilling or service rig and after working the past 8 months as a heavy equipment operator here I'm ready to head out. I'm only 20 so I'm looking for some opionions of where the best location to find a full time positon would be, where I could spend some time in the outdoors and meet some new people during any time off!

09 buck.png
Old 12-25-2010, 12:50 PM

Southeast Saskatchewan like Estevan or Weyburn
Old 12-25-2010, 01:00 PM

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=53944

Check the topic in the link above.

You are leaving NB & I've just started a search for a fellow that is/was living there.
Sold him a Boss 302 back in the late 70s. He put it in a Mustang.
Want that engine back, unless it grenaded.

PS: don't matter where you live, when working "The Patch"
Old 12-25-2010, 02:55 PM

"The Patch" pretty much encompasses all of AB, and there are opportunities everywhere. If you are just looking to get working, then northern areas are probably your best bet. If you are looking for the biggest $$, then Ft. McMurray probably provides the greatest return.

A fair number of people who work in McMurray commute to other areas where they live, working 2 weeks on then a week or so off. Some work for a month and then are off for 2 weeks. Depends on the job I guess.

If you are young and can handle working long hours and living in a bunk house, I would definitely give the northern areas a try. Save some money, get experience, and then live where you want to.

Good to see you bow hunt. That will increase the hunting opportunities - a little in the north, and a lot in the south.

BTW, this province is FILLED with hunters and fishermen. I came from BC, the land of the tofu-eating-hypocritical-self-righteous-hippy/yuppy. It was like coming home.