Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 06-11-2013, 09:23 PM

Default 2013 sheep draws

I have only hunted sheep once, many years ago while living in Pincher Creek. However, I have been putting in my draws for the last 10 years so I must be close? I have been putting in for 437! Which is better 437 or 438? or...? I believe one can alter the zones and keep priority BUT can only enter 1 draw?
Thanks for the guidance.
OH, anyone interested in a Florida gator hunt in late fall (Nov)? I have a home in Davenport FL , so accomodations are looked after. As well, I will be hunting hogs in TX in January.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:26 PM

438 is not in the priority system it's a lottery style so if you got 10 yrs in 437 might be best to stay there
Old 06-11-2013, 09:34 PM

I gave up on 437, unless you have applied every year right from the beginning you will not live long enough to draw this tag.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:35 PM

What is your life expectancy? Check the stats on 437 and confirm your priority. You might be waiting a while unless you got in right off the hop.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdub View Post
What is your life expectancy? Check the stats on 437 and confirm your priority. You might be waiting a while unless you got in right off the hop.
X2

If you aren't top of the pack in 437 then you are going to need low than luck.

LC
Old 06-11-2013, 09:55 PM

Gonna go for 437 , take the late hunt.

Grizz
Old 06-11-2013, 11:05 PM

2012 437 sheep draw stats.
http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...de-34-2012.pdf

McCreg, you can not transfer your priority points between the different sheep draws, at least not right now but his may change in the future (one possible consideration for continuing to build priority). If you are a priority 10 this year, then you have around 1000 people ahead or equal to you in the draw. Be sure to invest in eugenics.

Which odds do you think you will have the best chance of winning? Living another 100 years before having a chance to draw or having a 1 in 250 chance to draw year after year?
Old 06-11-2013, 11:29 PM

I figure I'll be up by the time I'm 80. But then I also bet there are a lot in front of me that will be pushing daisies by then so I am looking at it as a retirement gift to myself around 60.... Hopefully!
Old 06-12-2013, 01:23 AM

A little tougher hunt to do when most are expected to be drawn in 437 at age 85 that is for sure! Would be one heck of a final hunting memory before the dirt nap to add on the allowable youth partner license though and take a grand kid or great grand kid along! Not too many kids aged 12-17 are able to say they bagged a sheep in 437!

Old 06-12-2013, 05:57 AM

I would keep putting in, not sure how old you are but anyone that is up in age and is ahead of you will likly die before they get drawn at this point, drop out due to age/inability to hunt the mountains, give up etc... and that long list ahead of you might start to dwindle exponentially. If you dont apply you dont have a chance!
Old 06-12-2013, 06:14 AM

Default Maybe...just maybe....

I'm now at priority fourteen. And I'm only 26. By jimminy I might have a chance!!! Probably be on pension though. And by that time they'll probably make it one of those rich guy lottery hunts lol.
"I have always tempered my killing with respect for the game pursued. I see the animal not only is a target but as living creature with more freedom than I will ever have. I take that life,if I can with regrets as well as joy, with the sure knowledge that natures way of fang and claw or exposure and starvation are a far crueler fate then I can bestow."- Fred Bear
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by walking buffalo View Post
2012 437 sheep draw stats.
http://mywildalberta.com/Hunting/Hun...de-34-2012.pdf

McCreg, you can not transfer your priority points between the different sheep draws, at least not right now but his may change in the future (one possible consideration for continuing to build priority). If you are a priority 10 this year, then you have around 1000 people ahead or equal to you in the draw. Be sure to invest in eugenics.

Which odds do you think you will have the best chance of winning? Living another 100 years before having a chance to draw or having a 1 in 250 chance to draw year after year?
yikes....i strongly disagree with "transfering priority"
Old 06-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Banned

I highly doubt priority will be transferable from the now existing draws to any future draws. They already know they messed up how the existing ones are and I'm sure don't want to hear the outcry from hunters with no priorities. It's the same as the Suffield elk draw if they ever open bulls. Pretty unfair if points are transferable. I have 4 in WMU 300 and 5 on just the Antlered elk draw so can I transfer all of them? The new draws if implemented will more than likely be there own draws with everyone starting at 0.
Old 06-12-2013, 12:57 PM

Default Sheep draw

Gang:

My experience is drawing sheep tags occured in the States but I believe my experience may give some of you hope.

I shot a Stone sheep in 1978 and a Dallsheep in 1979. I had no other sheep action for years but I contined to apply for Big Horn in Montana and in Wyomig. The guided hunts for Big Horn and Desert were too costly for my blood.

In 2000 I said "what the Hell" and applied for an Arzonia Desert Big Horn tag. Bingo, I received a tag. My boy and I went down there and I shot a nice 10 year old in 2 days.

In 2002, for the first time, I send in a Idaho tag draw for a Big Horn. Bingo, I got another tag. It took 6 day for hunting by myself to get a 10 year old ram.

So one can never tell when a Black Swan will occur.

Bye the bye I have hunted whitetail in Alberta since 1993. In that time I have shot 5 whitetail which qualify for B & C. Luck seems to overshadow skill!

LW
Dillon, Mt
Old 06-12-2013, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I highly doubt priority will be transferable from the now existing draws to any future draws. They already know they messed up how the existing ones are and I'm sure don't want to hear the outcry from hunters with no priorities. It's the same as the Suffield elk draw if they ever open bulls. Pretty unfair if points are transferable. I have 4 in WMU 300 and 5 on just the Antlered elk draw so can I transfer all of them? The new draws if implemented will more than likely be there own draws with everyone starting at 0.

So we stick with a flawed system that is only getting worse?

The draw priority system needs to change in order to deal with high priority hunts and the sooner it is done the less impact there will be.

Anybody have any suggestions?

CPAER,

Did any of your sheep draws include a priority point system?
Old 06-12-2013, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepguide View Post
I hope you're right, although with a potential antlered draw in Suffield I would hope they'd look at making it a lottery draw instead of a priority draw.
Old 06-12-2013, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CPAER View Post
Gang:

My experience is drawing sheep tags occured in the States but I believe my experience may give some of you hope.

I shot a Stone sheep in 1978 and a Dallsheep in 1979. I had no other sheep action for years but I contined to apply for Big Horn in Montana and in Wyomig. The guided hunts for Big Horn and Desert were too costly for my blood.

In 2000 I said "what the Hell" and applied for an Arzonia Desert Big Horn tag. Bingo, I received a tag. My boy and I went down there and I shot a nice 10 year old in 2 days.

In 2002, for the first time, I send in a Idaho tag draw for a Big Horn. Bingo, I got another tag. It took 6 day for hunting by myself to get a 10 year old ram.

So one can never tell when a Black Swan will occur.

Bye the bye I have hunted whitetail in Alberta since 1993. In that time I have shot 5 whitetail which qualify for B & C. Luck seems to overshadow skill!

LW
Dillon, Mt
Cool story bro...
Old 06-12-2013, 03:48 PM
Banned

Quote:
So we stick with a flawed system that is only getting worse?

The draw priority system needs to change in order to deal with high priority hunts and the sooner it is done the less impact there will be.

Anybody have any suggestions?

CPAER,

Did any of your sheep draws include a priority point system?
Priority points is all I see working. But take a portion of the tags and run them as a lottery.
State side people can also buy priority points for some animals which is ok but then the guys start whining that it's a rich man sport!!

Three choices,
1 priority point system
2 lottery system
3 1&2 combined
4 eliminate applicants with mandatory tag purchases prior to draw and unrefundable if drawn, higher draw application fees, higher tag costs
Old 06-12-2013, 04:38 PM

I'm a P12 on 437 and 27yrs old. I don't expect to ever get drawn with 8 tags per year issued.
I keep telling myself with all the medical advancements I might be able to get grease nipples in the old joints. Lub'em up for the last trek when I'm a 100.
Old 06-12-2013, 04:48 PM
Banned

With a zone like 437 they need to put it on lottery if they dont change the costs and once drawn your out. Priority wont work on low tag numbers and high application numbers.

Higher tag costs payable up front(refundable if not drawn) and higher application fees as well as you miss a year you lose all points will change things and lower applicant numbers if it is left on priority.

Last edited by sheepguide; 06-12-2013 at 04:53 PM.
Old 06-12-2013, 05:21 PM

Default Sheep Draw

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntmaster83 View Post
A little tougher hunt to do when most are expected to be drawn in 437 at age 85 that is for sure! Would be one heck of a final hunting memory before the dirt nap to add on the allowable youth partner license though and take a grand kid or great grand kid along! Not too many kids aged 12-17 are able to say they bagged a sheep in 437!
What a GREAT THOUGHT!!! I'm going to make that my "new" goal. Thanks for that.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:14 PM

I don't have a problem with the sheep draws. It isn't like if you didn't draw one of these tags you can't hunt sheep. My hat is off to the people who had the brains to get in on the first year of the draws. The rest of us, well too bad so sad.
Old 06-12-2013, 07:24 PM

Default 437

Do not bother putting in for 437! My son and several others I know are on priority 18 this year and they have a slim chance of being drawn. Put in for 438 with the rest of us and you just never know! It is not on priority so you have at least the same chance as the rest of us!
Old 06-12-2013, 10:02 PM

What do the stats look like on the 444/446 draw? I am only priority 7, I think I missed the boat, probably take me 75 years before I pull that tag.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I don't have a problem with the sheep draws. It isn't like if you didn't draw one of these tags you can't hunt sheep. My hat is off to the people who had the brains to get in on the first year of the draws. The rest of us, well too bad so sad.
Says the guy who's killed two 438 rams
Old 06-12-2013, 11:12 PM

Quote:

True enough, many Albertan hunters did not have the brains to get in on it.

But can you really blame them when they weren't even born yet?

At least throw the kids a bone.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Says the guy who's killed two 438 rams
You Dale know 'm getting real tired of your smarmy cheap shots. Don't bother calling the next time you need information.

Just to be clear, the 438 sheep draw is a pure lottery, simply luck of the draw. The only time I've ben lucky in any lottery.

The fact of the matter is nothing can be everything to everybody. I'm sorry, but I do not accept punishing people who have done their due diligence from the beginning in favor of someone not born yet.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Yep to bad for all the young people that weren't able to draw then. Had nothing to do with having brains. Why shouldn't all new young hunters have a chance? It's a joke!!!
And coming from a guy that has had two 438 late season draw tags! I'm betting if you hadn't had them tags you would think different!! I'm sure you will say it has nothing to do with it but it affect thoughts when you have been able to hold two coveted tags already.
Funny thing is just like I mentioned in many other Bighorn draw or lottery areas such as Oregon or Montana the rams you shot wouldn't even be thought as shooter rams but here in Alberta people will put in a lifetime to shoot 170" class rams. Don't get me wrong the rams you harvested were older rams if I remember right but sure weren't the class of ram many places are producing.

Our sheep hunting and sheep draws are the biggest joke out there. Used to be guys came here to hunt because it was the spot to kill bighorns and big bighorns. Our reputation has sure decreased from that!!!
Old 06-13-2013, 08:25 AM

Quote:
True enough, many Albertan hunters did not have the brains to get in on it.

But can you really blame them when they weren't even born yet?

At least throw the kids a bone.
Or people who did not live in Alberta then and never thought they would. I started putting in priority when I first moved here until I realized it was pointless.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM

Quote:
You Dale know 'm getting real tired of your smarmy cheap shots. Don't bother calling the next time you need information.

Just to be clear, the 438 sheep draw is a pure lottery, simply luck of the draw. The only time I've ben lucky in any lottery.

The fact of the matter is nothing can be everything to everybody. I'm sorry, but I do not accept punishing people who have done their due diligence from the beginning in favor of someone not born yet.
Wasn't a cheap shot, just jealous lol good on you or anyone that gets the tags.