Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIR View Post
Oh cool. From these pictures, it looks like they have changed the regulations in Alberta now, and you can legally bait deer.

Congratulations!
yet another bonehead comment from the peanut gallery
Old 12-22-2014, 02:56 PM
Banned

Are you saying that you don't bait WS? So I am now guessing that you shoot your geese in popular stands out of trees, not grain fields, Hardly. I'll bet 1,000.00 that you hunt in barley fields and stick to the areas where the farmer spilled extra grain, only because when you shoot, they have to be within 10 feet lol
Old 12-22-2014, 03:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Not to derail I hope! Info for me.
What makes you guess 5 1/2?
Body doesnt look "heavy" to me.
No battle scars that I can see.
Certainly a shooter in my books, young or not.

This was a good thread on aging deer.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=239209
I have studies many deer over the years and watched them grow learning a little bit year after years. General appearance really, eyes and distance between pedicles has me believing he is 5 1/2 or better.

Body is tough, pictures sometimes just don't show what one expects... He probably is not a dominant deer in the area, as you reference the lack of battle scares...

To be honest, with-out history on this animal he could be any age...
Old 12-22-2014, 03:30 PM
Banned

Quote:
If there is feed, no hunting ever! That deer is being conditioned to return to that same spot. Plus, that feeder looks like it has been there for years, which makes you wonder about its usefulness. All while this hunter has exclusive access to this area.

Fair chase indeed!!!

Make up your mind with what you want to do with the land.
Incorrect, once the artificial feeding stops the deer will NOT continue to use this site.

Conditioning is a poor choice of words actually, if the only food source was artificial like in a pen, then yes this term would apply. Considering all animals browse continually for food if they are allowed, conditioning like pets just does not hold much merit.

Your idealism and many others would mean that trophy potential where baiting is allowed would be near none existent due to them being "conditioned" to the artificial food source. Easy to kill a conditioned pet.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
This is the sad truth to "baiting" in Alberta.. they say alberta doesn't bait, but they all do.. and just stop for the month that they hunt. Those bucks will still come around.. might as well just make it legal. Largest bucks shot in alberta this year were on a way to a bait pile, go figure.
They were shot over bait piles? Or do you consider food plots a bait pile? Not trying to stir things up here, just curious what you mean.
Old 12-22-2014, 03:52 PM

Quote:
If there is feed, no hunting ever! That deer is being conditioned to return to that same spot. Plus, that feeder looks like it has been there for years, which makes you wonder about its usefulness. All while this hunter has exclusive access to this area.

Fair chase indeed!!!

Fairly certain that I read that this deer has not been back in "well over a month now", so obviously not conditioned to return to this feeder which presumably still has feed in it.

And SK - beauty of a deer. I'd go after him for sure...
Old 12-22-2014, 04:34 PM

I don't see this as an old deer. His back is straight. He doesn't have a paunch or pot belly. He doesn't have that pronounced brisket sticking out. No battle scars although that isn't the best indicator.

His face and forehead aren't really greying out either.

Just my two cents though. There is really only one way to tell for sure.

Don't sweat the haters. They come out of the woodwork this time of year because they are grumpy that the season is over for another 9 months.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I don't see this as an old deer. His back is straight. He doesn't have a paunch or pot belly. He doesn't have that pronounced brisket sticking out. No battle scars although that isn't the best indicator.

His face and forehead aren't really greying out either.

Just my two cents though. There is really only one way to tell for sure.

Don't sweat the haters. They come out of the woodwork this time of year because they are grumpy that the season is over for another 9 months.
X2, an older buck will look like an old sway back nag. I would rely more on it's back line and paunch over the size of white patch around eye... A roman nose is also a great indicator.
Old 12-22-2014, 04:56 PM

if anything, just keep going back and get his sheds
Old 12-22-2014, 05:46 PM

Wow your a piece of work!! Read the post before you spout off!!

Quote:
Oh cool. From these pictures, it looks like they have changed the regulations in Alberta now, and you can legally bait deer.

Congratulations!
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edmhunter View Post
Are you saying that you don't bait WS? So I am now guessing that you shoot your geese in popular stands out of trees, not grain fields, Hardly. I'll bet 1,000.00 that you hunt in barley fields and stick to the areas where the farmer spilled extra grain, only because when you shoot, they have to be within 10 feet lol
Is this a serious question? You do understand the difference between baiting and shooting on a cut field?

No. Ive never baited in my life
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM
Banned

So thats where my dark 5x5 went. Would not blame you at all for wanting to hunt there in Sept. Very nice buck.
Don't let anyone tell you that you or landowner are doing anything wrong by putting feed out there.
Old 12-22-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:

Fair chase indeed!!!

No, not no hunting ever, no baiting while hunting!

Baiting for photography or in the off season to watch deer is not illegal although you may think it is. you have to read the regulations thoroughly .

He also stated that the farmer did not put out feed as long as the OP was hunting the property, so he would not have put out feed if the OP was planning to hunt it.
Yo are trying to start an argument here and an argument like that can never end well......
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 12-22-2014 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-23-2014, 10:40 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucksman View Post
if anything, just keep going back and get his sheds
Yes or build a wire mesh hard staked into the ground where the deer has to have minimum a antler touch it as he attempts to get the feed, usually they fall off then which minimizes you looking for the sheds in the woods. Anyone here got a picture of this please add this to a post.

Built one a long time ago, V configuration, couple feet tall, feed placed in the middle.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-23-2014, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
Wow, just wow. It is illegal to hunt over feed. He stops putting feed out in March, I don't hunt until September and I will not be hunting this same spot. I have a tree stand hung over 500 yards away...
Don't even respond to this guy, Sniper, he's just trying to start a fight for NO good reason. Posters like him pi$$ me off to no end......

IMO - that buck you posted is a younger buck, I agree with all the comments above mine in explaining why I think so. He won't score real high, I would be surprised if he is a 145 ( his brow tines and G3s and 4s are just too short to add up to much...) but he is a very pretty buck and has beautiful dark antlers.

I say...........post up pics in Sept when you poke a hole in him!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:01 PM

Quote:

Congratulations!
Actually I don't think it is illegal to FEED deer. It becomes baiting if you are using the feed to attract deer for the purpose of hunting it, and that would be illegal.