Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2014, 10:38 AM

Default Kicking myself now....(pic heavy)

I have exclusive permission to hunt on a 80 acre piece of land just east of Edmonton, I did some scouting in the summer and hung cameras but no deer interested me (nothing but spikes and does) so I never ended up stepping foot on the property for the duration of hunting season. The owner of the land does not hunt big game at all and he usually keeps a trough full of feed for the critters during winter months. He started putting feed out early this year after I told him I wouldn't be hunting it at all.
I went out yesterday and grabbed the card from one of my cameras to see what came through during November....S.O.B. this guy came through twice during the rut for a quick snack in broad daylight but has not been back in well over a month now.
Can you guys help me out? How old does this deer look to you? Any guesses on a score? He is a perfectly clean 5x5, fairly wide and decently heavy.
He doesn't seem to have a very big body compared to most mature deer I have seen in the area. I am really considering getting a few more cams and finding out what trails he is using and hopefully I can get him with the bow early next season.
Thanks in advance

Here's a side view of his body size
Old 12-22-2014, 10:41 AM

He will be real good next year
Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Oh cool. From these pictures, it looks like they have changed the regulations in Alberta now, and you can legally bait deer.

Congratulations!
Old 12-22-2014, 10:44 AM

Good up and comer, short tine length....I would say he would gross mid 140's as a guess.

For the purpose of photos you can bait all you want....that's what this is

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIR View Post
Oh cool. From these pictures, it looks like they have changed the regulations in Alberta now, and you can legally bait deer.

Congratulations!
Read the OP's write up...
Old 12-22-2014, 10:47 AM

Quote:

Congratulations!
I absolutely knew this comment would come, I just didn't imagine so quickly, well done!

I stated I was NOT hunting the area, then continued to state I am going to try to find the trails he uses next year.
Learn to read my friend
Old 12-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Quote:

Congratulations!
Reading comprehension 101.........

Fail
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeasammich View Post
Read the OP's write up...
If there is feed, no hunting ever! That deer is being conditioned to return to that same spot. Plus, that feeder looks like it has been there for years, which makes you wonder about its usefulness. All while this hunter has exclusive access to this area.

Fair chase indeed!!!

Make up your mind with what you want to do with the land.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zicker View Post
He will be real good next year
I think you will be very happy you let him go, could be a real nice deer next year, looks young.
Old 12-22-2014, 10:53 AM

Quote:
If there is feed, no hunting ever! That deer is being conditioned to return to that same spot. Plus, that feeder looks like it has been there for years, which makes you wonder about its usefulness. All while this hunter has exclusive access to this area.

Fair chase indeed!!!

Wow, just wow. It is illegal to hunt over feed. He stops putting feed out in March, I don't hunt until September and I will not be hunting this same spot. I have a tree stand hung over 500 yards away...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SKSniper View Post
Wow, just wow. It is illegal to hunt over feed. He stops putting feed out in March, I don't hunt until September and I will not be hunting this same spot. I have a tree stand hung over 500 yards away...
Why does HE do that?

I know people that put out feed all year round, because they like to have them as pets. They are strict about no hunting allowed ever in their land. Good on 'em.

What I don't understand is why do you want to be the deer's friend and feed them seasonally and then turn around and shoot them?
Old 12-22-2014, 11:02 AM

[QUOTE=LIR;2667370]Why does HE do that?

I know people that put out feed all year round, because they like to have them as pets. They are strict about no hunting allowed ever in their land. Good on 'em.

What I don't understand is why do you want to be the deer's friend and feed them seasonally and then turn around and shoot them?[/QUOTE]

I guess because food is scarce in the winter. Everyone says there are no deer left so whats wrong with giving them a helping hand? What I don't understand is why you are worried about it. Lots of people do this as we are breaking no laws.
I guess nobody wants to see trail cam pics in the off season...ok
Old 12-22-2014, 11:12 AM
Banned

Beauty, from the pictures I would think this guy is 5 1/2 or better.. Don't think he will be adding significant growth next season...
Old 12-22-2014, 11:19 AM

nice deer I would say 3 years old give 2 more years then go get him. with all the yummys he should stick around the area. hope you get him and keep posting photos as he gets bigger
Old 12-22-2014, 11:22 AM

I like to see the pics! Don't worry about 1 person giving you a hard time. You can't make everyone happy.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leafy View Post
Beauty, from the pictures I would think this guy is 5 1/2 or better.. Don't think he will be adding significant growth next season...
Looking closer I agree....he looks older than I first thought.

LC
Old 12-22-2014, 11:31 AM
Banned

That's funny! "Life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you're gonna get", Forrest Gump. I'll bet $1,000.00 you will be hunting that property next year, best thing about that is that he will be a little bigger then, if he is not on the downward trend.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:36 AM

Quote:

Fair chase indeed!!!

lol.... Wrong..... Your opinions are not Facts, so don't portray them to be so.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:47 AM

Quote:
x2

Don't kick yourself too hard, over this guy, if you're looking for a trophy. Nice Deer, just not a monster or ever will be IMO.

Thanks for taking the time to post up the pictures and write the story.

BW
Old 12-22-2014, 12:02 PM

Thanks for the responses guys, well at least the positive ones! I figured he was getting to be on the peak of antler growth. The only reason I say I'm "kicking myself" is because it would have been cool to get this deer just 45 minutes away from my doorstep, rather than going 3 hours north in the -20 lol. I don't really care about trophies to be honest, but I do want to start trying to target certain deer. I think it would be a pretty rewarding feeling knowing that doing your homework paid off.

This property is solid bush everywhere with dried up slough bottoms all over. I think more cameras will be the only way to pattern him assuming he survives and comes back!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:04 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

This deer has loads of potential to grow really big so maybe it was for the better he got another year than you might even pass on him next year since you have the only permission on that land....hmmm decisions!

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM

Quote:

Congratulations!
Hey read the post, jees the land owner feeds deer, the hunter told him he would not be hunting on it so the land owner went ahead and started feeding the critters, no harm done.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
This deer has loads of potential to grow really big so maybe it was for the better he got another year than you might even pass on him next year since you have the only permission on that land....hmmm decisions!
To be honest, most do NOT have the potential to grow into true world class trophies. A myth really, genetics always win and our group seems to hope for more than is available

Quick look at the pedicle distance shows a rough age and the whites around the eyes verify he is not a real young up and comer.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:16 PM

Quote:
To be honest, most do NOT have the potential to grow into true world class trophies. A myth really, genetics always win and our group seems to hope for more than is available

Quick look at the pedicle distance shows a rough age and the whites around the eyes verify he is not a real young up and comer.
And that's what's makes the hunters decisions tough, pass up, what if, take him now and really never know...other than what is on the ground. Seen deer in the past not look like anything for two or three years and then bam what the heck happened with substantial growth, also seen it go the other way too. You, I will never have the magic formula or answer to the deers potential.

Old 12-22-2014, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Not to derail I hope! Info for me.
What makes you guess 5 1/2?
Body doesnt look "heavy" to me.
No battle scars that I can see.
Certainly a shooter in my books, young or not.

This was a good thread on aging deer.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=239209
Old 12-22-2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatlandliver View Post
Not to derail I hope! Info for me.
What makes you guess 5 1/2?
Body doesnt look "heavy" to me.
No battle scars that I can see.
Certainly a shooter in my books, young or not.

This was a good thread on aging deer.
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=239209
I am still stumped so any of the above would be great!
His body does seem small but like stated above, the white around the eyes makes him look a few years old for sure.
He looks pretty tired in those first two pictures, I think he had a good workout right before these pics!

Regardless, I am hunting this property next year no doubt. This buck is good enough for me, especially if I have the bow in my hand. This is in 242 so I can use bow or rifle in the appropriate seasons.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:26 PM

Very nice 5x5. He is at least 3.5 yrs old, but could be more as he has pretty decent mass. Often, as bucks get older, their antler bases get heavier.

As your pics are from November (during the rut), he may not be a resident buck. Depending on the terrain (and other factors), bucks can travel a fair bit in November. My experience in finding a buck in an area I haven't seen him previously, is he may be there for a few days, and then leaves. His home range may not be on your piece of property - then again, it might be. You might find him there next summer - or maybe not. But, if he survives, there is a decent chance he might cruise through again next November!
Old 12-22-2014, 12:38 PM
Banned

This is the sad truth to "baiting" in Alberta.. they say alberta doesn't bait, but they all do.. and just stop for the month that they hunt. Those bucks will still come around.. might as well just make it legal. Largest bucks shot in alberta this year were on a way to a bait pile, go figure.
Old 12-22-2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:

Fair chase indeed!!!

Have you joined the "Friends of Freddy" coalition yet ? You seem to have some of the same views.
Old 12-22-2014, 01:22 PM

I'd guess 148 net. Nice spread, wide as the ears at least. If you see him next year, stick an arrow in him.