Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 07-17-2019, 12:52 AM

Default Poor satellite/ cellular service

Anyone else having very intermittent cellular and satellite service?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:56 AM

Yes. But I'm in the middle of nowhere right now.
Old 07-17-2019, 01:03 AM

Middle of no where sounds like a good place to be. There's always the random blip but been going steady here now for the past 45 min.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:27 AM

YES! I have the Telus hub, I'm between Devon and Spruce Grove and for the last few weeks, it's been terrible. It cuts in and out like a blip, and I'm only seeing 3G on my phone allot while home. It used to be LTE. I'm about ready to sacrifice 2 hours of my life to call them about it. Also about to give another local supplier the chance to to test the signal strength at my place.
Old 07-17-2019, 07:31 AM

I have a 45 foot tower for sale if you need more height for service, don't need this now as we get LTE internet now from our roof mount.
Old 07-17-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimrod View Post
I have a 45 foot tower for sale if you need more height for service, don't need this now as we get LTE internet now from our roof mount.
Nimrod,

whats the details on the tower? Also who is your provider?
Old 07-17-2019, 12:01 PM
AO Sponsor

We had the Telus hub out our way in Water Valley for a couple years and it was always spotty as heck with download speeds being no more than 2mb/s of speed if it worked at all. We moved to Xplornet a few months ago with some trepidation as we have heard so many bad stories but so far we are very happy for the most part. We now have download speeds of 16mb/s to 20mb/s and it has only blipped out a few times during crazy storm weather while the Telus hub only worked sporadically at the best of time. The only real downside is that we have a 100GB max per month before speeds slow down and because netflix etc broadcasts mostly in HD these days, we have to be careful we don't go past the max, but so far it has been so much better I have zero regrets!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 07-17-2019, 01:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirebob View Post
We had the Telus hub out our way in Water Valley for a couple years and it was always spotty as heck with download speeds being no more than 2mb/s of speed if it worked at all. We moved to Xplornet a few months ago with some trepidation as we have heard so many bad stories but so far we are very happy for the most part. We now have download speeds of 16mb/s to 20mb/s and it has only blipped out a few times during crazy storm weather while the Telus hub only worked sporadically at the best of time. The only real downside is that we have a 100GB max per month before speeds slow down and because netflix etc broadcasts mostly in HD these days, we have to be careful we don't go past the max, but so far it has been so much better I have zero regrets!
I used to use these guys a few years ago when I was on an acreage west of Cochrane and they had unlimited data. May work in Water Valley too. https://velocitynetworks.ca/
Old 07-17-2019, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4K3OGH View Post
Nimrod,

whats the details on the tower? Also who is your provider?
Our provider was a local Camrose company, the reason for the tower was to get over the trees to get better service for internet, the tower is 40 foot tall with a pipe on top to get another 5 feet up and for there unit needed a 1 inch pipe to fit there dish to it. if your interested in it let me know, we will need a few people to get it on the ground. 10 foot tall each section.
Old 07-17-2019, 03:24 PM

I live in The Black Hole of Telus in Woodlands County,no cell service at home unless my phone is sitting in the cheap-ish Wilson booster designed for vehicles which I have rigged up in my kitchen,that way I am able to at least get 1-2 bars of 3G on a good day,1 bar or no service on bad days.
Hotspotting to my iPad right now from phone sitting in the booster....it sux.
Old 07-18-2019, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West O'5 View Post
I live in The Black Hole of Telus in Woodlands County,no cell service at home unless my phone is sitting in the cheap-ish Wilson booster designed for vehicles which I have rigged up in my kitchen,that way I am able to at least get 1-2 bars of 3G on a good day,1 bar or no service on bad days.
Hotspotting to my iPad right now from phone sitting in the booster....it sux.
That sounds like heaven right there.