Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 06-24-2018, 07:57 PM

Default Dead horse beating on shotty mag capacity

Anyone have A definitive answer on a semi shotgun capacity? I searched for a bit and found lots of ‘answers’ but none that were without a debate. Any experience with this in the real world?

Semi shotgun that isn't used for hunting. Factory barrel stamped for 2.75 and 3” shells. Can i have it blocked for 5+1 3” shells? If i block for 2.75, then i lose the full capacity of the 3”, as the blocking needs to be permanentish.
Old 06-24-2018, 08:22 PM

If you are not hunting with it I don't see the issue .
Maximum five fir a semi auto non restricted from what I was taught- not tgstvut ever mattered to me
Cat
Old 06-24-2018, 08:53 PM

Whilst I agree with Cat, if you are out in the bush or on private property and a F&W or RC come by, and what you are doing isn't obvious, over the 3 may get you questioned real hard,and if you respond the wrong way, you could have a bad day. If you are on a range, then no sweat, that eliminates the hunting aspect from the equation, especially if you don't have a hunting licence. And you have to remember that rabbits and gophers and coyotes are open all year in most places, so, hunting is somewhat always in the equation outside of a range.
I guess the question still remains, will someone come by and question you about it? How much arguing do you want to engage in? How likely are you to cause yourself trouble in an exchange on the subject with F&W or the RC's, who may not know the law themselves.
Old 06-24-2018, 09:39 PM

Do people actually say “Shotty” out loud, or is that just a thing people do on the internet?
Old 06-24-2018, 09:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Do people actually say “Shotty” out loud, or is that just a thing people do on the internet?
Like shotty wedding, shotty start or riding shotty?
Nope, just doesn't sound right.
Old 06-25-2018, 09:01 AM

I think what he is getting at is if your tube will hold 5 @ 3" it will hold more than 5 @ 2-3/4" shells.

As far as I know, it can hold 5 of whatever it is chambered for. But I have never been questioned.

I have a 3.5" A5 that will hold 5 @ 3.5" shells in the tube. 2-3/4" shells it will hold 7 in the tube + 1 = 8 which is what I use for 3 gun.

I always have 5 @ 3.5" shells in my range bag just in case but have never been questioned ... yet.

Adriel explains it better that I can here:
https://www.huntinggearguy.com/tips/...pacity-canada/
Old 06-25-2018, 09:06 AM

The 2+1 3 shot rule only applies to birds. But if you have birdshot in your gun and birds are in season there might be some 'esplainin to do.

Colin
Old 06-25-2018, 10:06 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewey Cox View Post
Scatter gun.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-26-2018, 12:03 AM

Help me, I don't get your math.

There is only a 0.25" difference in length between 2.75" and 3" shells. Even if your magazine held 5 3" shells, magazine would only hold 5 2.75" shells as the difference in length is only 1.25", not enough to get an extra shell in the mag.

If you counted 4 in mag and 1 in chamber, then difference is only one inch.

When I took conservation enforcement, we had an assignment where we had to create our own magazine capacity checker. Usually made out of something like a stiff garden hose with a handle, it was marked for 3"and 2.75" shells. More than two of either in magazine, you would be hooped. That was for bird hunting.

If hunting outside bird season, then there should be no issue for hunting coyotes and foxes etc with your mag plug removed.

However, it is not strictly a hunting legality question. You need to check the Firearms Act to ensure that you are not in contravention of that. I don't know the answer. But it would not surprise me that the answer is five.

Check it out.
Old 06-26-2018, 04:48 PM

3.5 inch shells x 5 mag capacity will allow 6 but not 7, 2.75 inch shells. Check out the Versamax Tactical.

The key is the 3.5 inch chamber.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:09 PM

As long as the 6th 3.5 doesn't fit your ok. You can make 7 2.75 fit if you make a 19.25'' tube and hold 7. The 6th 3.5 won't fit.

As long as the tube is not 21'' or bigger your fine.

That's my understanding.
Old 06-26-2018, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
The 2+1 3 shot rule only applies to birds. But if you have birdshot in your gun and birds are in season there might be some 'esplainin to do.

Colin
I believe the 2 +1 magazine restriction is applied under the Migratory Bird Regulations. When hunting Upland birds during a Migratory Bird season there could be some questions but I don't recall it being imposed on non-migratory birds. Best to double check.
Old 06-26-2018, 10:13 PM

Just get an over under and forget about 3 or 5 or 7... lol
Old 06-28-2018, 10:46 AM

For the hunters, here are the regs i could find referring to shotguns. Basically 3 rounds max for any gamebird hunting, 5 rounds max for any autoloading firearm while hunting big game. There is no limit on mag capacity for turkey but federally your limited to 5 rounds max in the magazine in an autoloading firearm.
From the Alberta Hunting Regs:
Quote:
BIG GAME

It is unlawful to

set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting big game:
-ammunition of less than .23 calibre,
-an auto-loading firearm that has the capacity to hold more than 5 cartridges in the magazine,
-a shotgun having a gauge of .410 or less,
-a shotgun in a bird sanctuary,
-a rifle or shotgun in WMUs 212, 248 or 410 (persons hunting under the authority of a Strathcona White-tailed Deer Licence, a Foothills Deer Licence, or an Antlerless Moose Special Licence in Strathcona County may hunt with a bow and arrow, cross-bow, muzzle loader or shotgun)
GAME BIRD

It is unlawful to
hunt a migratory game bird using
-a firearm loaded with a single bullet
-shot, other than non-toxic shot,
- a shotgun that is of a larger size than 10 guage.
hunt any game bird using
-a shotgun in which the magazine and chamber combined will hold more than three rounds of ammunition

-have more than one shotgun, for personal use, at any time while hunting migratory game birds unless each shotgun, in excess of one, is unloaded and disassembled or unloaded and cased.

hunt Merriam's turkey using

-a weapon other than a shotgun, cross-bow or a bow and arrow,
-a shotgun with a bore diameter smaller than 20 gauge, or
-shot size smaller than No. 6 shot or larger than No. 2 shot.
From the Firearms act
Quote:
Prohibited devices
3 (1) Any cartridge magazine

(a) that is capable of containing more than five cartridges of the type for which the magazine was originally designed and that is designed or manufactured for use in

(i) a semi-automatic handgun that is not commonly available in Canada,

(ii) a semi-automatic firearm other than a semi-automatic handgun,
Im reading that as you can have 5 of the type of shell for which it was designed for. Given that your magazine was specifically designed for 3 1/2" shells as long as your total magazine capacity of 5 3 1/2" shells ( or 17.5") is not exceeded you are good to go. I see no mention of the capacity including the chamber (+1)

I was always taught for any autoloading firearm using "centerfire" ammunition you were limited to 5 rounds but shotgun ammunition not classified as "centerfire" despite having a primer in the center.

I would shoot Huntinstuff an PM. He's an expert on this kind of stuff.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-29-2018, 10:08 AM

Default Shotgun

The rules are just a bit wierd, but then so many are.
The big question comes from ‘what the gun is chambered for’. My factory barrel, and probably yours too, is stamped for both sizes. I kind of don’t see the difference between the legal allowance of fitting more than mag capacity with a smaller calibre, ie 9mm in a .40.
Then it comes down to burden of proof. So i blocked my mag tube for 3” shells but am only shooting 2.75” that day and that is all i have with me. More than 5 will fit in, though it wouldnt be loaded with more than 5, until i figure this out. Someone with a badge gonna be piszed?
Old 06-29-2018, 12:27 PM

Why not phone the CFO and ask for the answer to be emailed to you? If it turns out you can exceed the 5 shot requirement by using smaller shells then your set. If something were to ever happen you could produce said email to the officer or in court. If you truly are limited to 5, then you get the answer. Either way its all up to the interpretation of the people who wrote the law or the judge enforcing it.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 06-29-2018, 10:01 PM

Default Cfo

I have asked. The answer always goes back to the act. I don't think they know themselves. Our gov’t could screw up corn flakes!
And just a curiosity about the alberta big game regs, isn't .410 a calibre not a gauge?

Last edited by antmai; 06-29-2018 at 10:07 PM.