Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 03-11-2008, 06:10 PM
Hoochie Papa

I'm as excited as everyone else about the prospect of countless new products, and the possible lower prices, but there is still the issue of service. Where are they going to find enough qualified people to sell the stuff? There have been more than enough rants on here to verify the lack of knowledge from salespeople at "certain outdoor stores".

Some Bass Pro transplants would be nice, or at least a Canada-Wide employment search.
Old 03-11-2008, 06:14 PM

Default yup

i did a show for two years in a row down in auburn new york at the basspro shop there and loved it, the fred bear memorablia is awsome to look at.
Old 03-11-2008, 07:01 PM

What do you bet that there will be an employee migration from WSS to BP when they open? ............ and take the same 'helpful customer relations' attitude with them ........... <<<<<<<< shudder>>>>>>>
Old 03-11-2008, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
What do you bet that there will be an employee migration from WSS to BP when they open? ............ and take the same 'helpful customer relations' attitude with them ........... <<<<<<<< shudder>>>>>>>

I dont think it's all the personals fault at WSS. I think it's an ownership/manager issue. As I see it WSS thinks "well we have what we have, if you want it, pay top dollar and if not oh well go home. Now that they Face some real compatition there tune will change. but in truth they cant compete with B Pro.....ever!! There will be way more selection and prices may be a bit cheaper at Bass pro. To me I'll spend a day to drive there just for the variaty of items and be able to hold and feel the stuff in stead of being told "well we can have it here in a month if you want to order it now."

AL
Old 03-12-2008, 06:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highwayman View Post
I don't think this is very likely for one thing I think given the wage issue most of the WWS staff live in close proximity to the store. I also think the king of the world attitude would fall flat and fast for some of these old guys in the new store. I could be wrong JMO
Old 03-12-2008, 07:03 AM

Went to Bass Pro in Texas and the store was nice but the staff and prices suck!!!! I can get the samethings at WSS for the same money...I will keep my money in Canada...
Old 03-12-2008, 07:15 AM

Default wow

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkat69 View Post
Went to Bass Pro in Texas and the store was nice but the staff and prices suck!!!! I can get the samethings at WSS for the same money...I will keep my money in Canada...

wow thats crazy , my brother runs rigs in texas and goes to bass pro once a month and we just were on the phone togehter pricing out scopes compared to a store here and things were considerly cheaper there. strange why the price woudl be the same as you can never buy stuff here for the same price as in teh states usually but i guess the item you were buying must of been if you say so.
Old 03-12-2008, 07:35 AM

Default Can't wait

I also can't wait for it to open. I am going to the Bass Pro in Vegas next week and Cabela's in Post Falls the first week in April. I may even try to get on part time here. Discounts? I really think it is a management thing with WSS. I was talking with a guy here in Calgary and he said that Brad was not a real nice guy and is only interested in cash. The more the merrier.
Old 03-27-2008, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowtown guy View Post
I was talking with a guy here in Calgary and he said that Brad was not a real nice guy and is only interested in cash. The more the merrier.
Cowtown: Don't you think it would be vastly more intelligent if you only commented on people you've actually met yourself, instead of slagging someone's reputation based on 2nd or 3rd hand rumour or conjecture? If I haven't met or dealt with a person, I'll not risk lessening my own good reputation by making comments on their character; be they positive or negative observations. Based on my personal knowledge of Brad, I consider him a really decent person, and I'll put my word on that. Granted, others may have different opinions, perhaps they might wish to comment based on their own personal experiences.

Onwards to why I actually searched out this thread for updating:

I work on the service side of the mechanical contractor that's building Bass Pro, and today I asked our construction field superintendant when they plan on opening the store. He informed me that the plan is to have it open late July. He'd gone on to comment that the textured concrete floors have animal tracks embedded in them. I'll update as the opening is imminent, though I'm sure Bass Pro themselves will be advertising to get us all excited.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:36 PM

Great news, opening earlier than I thought.
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM

Default wow

PM
Old 03-27-2008, 07:30 PM
gitrdun

Let's just wait and see what they have to offer and whom they staff the store with. It will obviously be local people, some of which will probably come from local gun shops...discrountled employees and some new ones. For my part, my loyalty still lies with the good people behind the counter at Russel's.
Old 03-27-2008, 11:16 PM

Default Tikka

Tikka, I have been to the BassPro in Dallas/Fort Worth twice and I thought the service was great, better than Cabela's for sure. You have to pick and choose your products to get a great deal down there. I thought clothing was better priced down there. This past March I was at BassPro in Atlanta and again the service was pretty good. It looked like a lot of the staff were in the process of month end stock taking and didn't come after you, but when asked they droppped what they were doing to help. I have been very happy with them and can hardly wait till they open. Competition will help get Wholesale in line. Sportsmen's Den in Red Deer had the worst service I have ever seen in any store in my life until Backcountry opened their doors. Their staff almost chases you around now. BEL
Old 03-28-2008, 01:30 PM

Hope our store has a range in the basement like the Dallas store.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:49 PM

Old 03-28-2008, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbAngler View Post
Had a beer yesterday with a guy doing some electrical work at the Bass Pro Shop building. He said they're trying to open for July, but it's not going to happen. MIGHT be open in time for hunting season.

Going to be nice to have a shop so close to home!
Doubt it will be open for July or hunting season- I can guarantee you though it will be open in time for the busy Christmas shopping season...

As far as discounts go, the store in Toronto gives employees 15% off BPS and Redhead brand stuff.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:04 PM

Ab, that's an older pic. It's further along now. I'm sure it will be open by the fall.
I know where I'll be spending alot of time!
Old 03-28-2008, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABDUKNUT View Post
Doubt it will be open for July or hunting season- I can guarantee you though it will be open in time for the busy Christmas shopping season...

As far as discounts go, the store in Toronto gives employees 15% off BPS and Redhead brand stuff.

as do outfitters.
Old 03-28-2008, 10:22 PM

where is this bass pro store being located?
Old 03-28-2008, 10:58 PM
Banned

Not Tofield , but Balzac , between Airdre and Calgary
Old 03-29-2008, 12:37 AM

Default Bass Pro Shops

I was at my first store in Las Vegas last week. I was in awe it was a awsome store. The selection was amazing I spent more time there than I did at the whole Calgary sportsman show. The products I purchaced there were about 20% less than they were here. For example I bought scent shield base layers top and bottoms Calgary price $89.00, BPS price $55.00. I bought a Diana Air rifle from wholesale at over $600.00 BPS price was under $250.00. All of there Redhead brand equipment was very well priced.
I agree with some of you that the pricing will not be the same as it is in the U.S. because it is the manufactures that dictate the prices of many items sold.
I look forward to them opening.
Old 03-30-2008, 07:12 PM

Was at the BPS in Toronto today. I asked when they expect to open in Calgary and apparently their goal is June/July. It is quite the store but I still wasn't able to find a few things I was looking for. None the less I did manage to spend a bit of money.

Last edited by Duk Dog; 03-30-2008 at 08:18 PM.
Old 04-07-2008, 05:41 PM

Location: i have a home in calgary however i live as much of my life as possible in the woods
Default Wholesale

Hey guy's. I'm new here and was just reading back a bit and it seems Wss comes up in topic often. Wholesale is owned by the same guy that owns russel's but who could tell. At russels you can not only find product but they also offer something wss has never. Sevice. I have put close to ten grand in the last three years through these two stores and walking into wss with 3000 cash visible in hand was unable to get help at the gun counter. No acknoledgement whatsoever. At russels you may buy a 1500$ gun, 50$ scope rings or a 30 cent fly. You will still get impecable service and opinions from clerks that know their product. I only now go to wss if russel's cannot order my product. If anyone read's this who works at russels Thank you. If you work at Wholesale then please try to do a better job
Old 04-07-2008, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhooker View Post
Hey guy's. I'm new here and was just reading back a bit and it seems Wss comes up in topic often. Wholesale is owned by the same guy that owns russel's but who could tell. At russels you can not only find product but they also offer something wss has never. Sevice. I have put close to ten grand in the last three years through these two stores and walking into wss with 3000 cash visible in hand was unable to get help at the gun counter. No acknoledgement whatsoever. At russels you may buy a 1500$ gun, 50$ scope rings or a 30 cent fly. You will still get impecable service and opinions from clerks that know their product. I only now go to wss if russel's cannot order my product. If anyone read's this who works at russels Thank you. If you work at Wholesale then please try to do a better job
Well said
Old 04-07-2008, 08:01 PM

the service will depend on what training new employees recieve. if it is extensive and done properly the service will (in theory) be better. if it is quick and dirty...well...
Old 04-08-2008, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoochie Papa View Post

Some Bass Pro transplants would be nice, or at least a Canada-Wide employment search.
Not going to happen. You don't recruit and move store clerks. Maybe a few Managers. The clerks are going to be Russell, Wholesale, Canadian Tire and smaller store veterans.
Old 04-08-2008, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
Was at the BPS in Toronto today. I asked when they expect to open in Calgary and apparently their goal is June/July. It is quite the store but I still wasn't able to find a few things I was looking for. None the less I did manage to spend a bit of money.
Don't any of you fellows actually read AO? LOL TJ's story on BP said opening probably slipping to 2009 I believe. Damn, left my copy at work.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:44 AM

Dont expect super deals at a basspro in canada,, ive been to the one in toronto,, no real deals to be had accept on the openning week. Selection they do have!

Ive been fortunate enough too shop there, basspro and cabelas in michigan.. Huge difference in prices on either side of the border.. Lots more competition over there.. The store ive been most impressed with far and away is sportsmans warehouse!!
Old 04-08-2008, 11:00 AM

OK, checked the article in the APRIL edition of AO. It says opening is scheduled for October 2008, "but delays with the Balzac mall itself could delay the opening... until early 2009" Blame TJ if that's wrong. He wrote it.
Old 04-08-2008, 04:40 PM

Ya my buddy works for Pro Con construction which was bought recently by Lafarge that is doing all of the concrete for the mall and told me that the mall will not be ready until late 2008 most likely in Oct or November.