Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 07-02-2019, 11:06 AM

Default glass rods

Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to being a part of the discussions. So my first question for everyone is what do you recommend for glass rods? Also has anybody heard of the Moonshine Rod Co. Interesting company and looks like pretty reasonable prices.
Old 07-02-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny75 View Post
Hey everybody! I'm new to the forum and I'm looking forward to being a part of the discussions. So my first question for everyone is what do you recommend for glass rods? Also has anybody heard of the Moonshine Rod Co. Interesting company and looks like pretty reasonable prices.
Don't know anything about Moonshine but my Son has a "Butter Stick" that he absolutely loves!
FHD
Old 07-02-2019, 03:54 PM

Heard good things about the Moonshine rods, but have not tried one yet. They look like nice builds and heard they have a good warranty/customer service.

Check out this page from Fiberglass Manifesto listing most of the companies suppling glass rods. A lot of them are builders, utilizing blanks from other suppliers.

https://thefiberglassmanifesto.blogs...shops.html?m=1

If you build rods, I could recommend some good blanks at a great price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-02-2019, 06:37 PM

Sort of depends on your budget and your preferred casting style. I have 5 different glass rods and they all cast differently, used for specific situations or just for a change of pace. There are some advantages to glass rods, but also a some disadvantages.

What length and line weight were you hoping?

Old 07-02-2019, 07:07 PM

I have a Reddington Butterstick, Mountain Brook, Orvis, and a few vintage brands. All great but I think I use my butter Stick the most.

My blog - casting on the waters

fishing regulations and facts on fish handling
Fishing Regulations
Old 07-06-2019, 10:06 AM

So I did the unthinkable and bought the max catch 5 pc glass rod off amazon. First of all, I hadn’t cashed a glass rod before so I wanted to see how I liked it before spending $300. Also I wanted a second smaller river rod so my girlfriend and I could both fish when we go hiking.
Being my first glass rod, I don’t really have anything to compare it to but I’m very happy with it for $150. I’m guessing it’s a little on the faster side for glass, I can cast larger dries or even nymphs with a yarn indicator on a calm day.

Old 07-06-2019, 05:04 PM

Nice! What line weight did you get?
Being a glass 5pc, must pack down to a nice size. My two favourite glass rods are 2 piece, so more of a pain for hikes, so don’t take as often as I would like.

Old 07-06-2019, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.seaward View Post
Nice! What line weight did you get?
Being a glass 5pc, must pack down to a nice size. My two favourite glass rods are 2 piece, so more of a pain for hikes, so don’t take as often as I would like.

Yeah it’s a 7’6” 4wt so it fits right into my backpack. I used the rio LT wf4f. I haven’t had too many chances to use it yet but I’m happy with it so far.

Old 07-07-2019, 10:10 AM

Been having problems with tapatalk. So I'll try and talk via the poor layout of the site direct to my phone. The maxcatch option is definitely below my budget and with 1 kid 2 years old and another on the way in a week I struggle to find time to get out. Especially in the Edmonton area. When you are on a budget like me it's pretty hard to not consider the maxcatch. Heck I have the piscifun sword reel.
Old 07-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Been having problems with tapatalk. So I'll try and talk via the poor layout of the site direct to my phone. The maxcatch option is definitely below my budget and with 1 kid 2 years old and another on the way in a week I struggle to find time to get out. Especially in the Edmonton area. When you are on a budget like me it's pretty hard to not consider the maxcatch. Heck I have the piscifun sword reel.

It’s definitely a lot easier to justify for the handful of trips I get to make in a year.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajb92 View Post
It’s definitely a lot easier to justify for the handful of trips I get to make in a year.

Nothing wrong with the Maxcatch fiberglass rods or the Aventik rods from overseas. I bought each of my boys 8'1" 5wt S-glass rods from Aventik this past Xmas. The S-glass definitely results in a faster casting rods and shines with some line out on longer casts or otherwise over-lined by half a line weight for shorter distance casts.
People wishing for a more full-flexing rod would be better suited with a Maxcatch E-glass. Regardless of which brand you buy, the quality, fit and finish exceeds the price point. Quite frankly, glass rods by Swift (Epic), Orvis, or Hardy are not inexpensive.
Sealed drag reels from Maxcatch and Piscifun are well worth the $$ too compared to name brand.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:41 PM

So I broke down and ordered the maxcatch 3/4wt fiberglass rod. We will see how it performs. My only worry is that it takes 2 months to arrive and I don't get any usage this season.
Old 08-01-2019, 02:51 PM

Quote:
So I broke down and ordered the maxcatch 3/4wt fiberglass rod. We will see how it performs. My only worry is that it takes 2 months to arrive and I don't get any usage this season.

If I remember correctly mine came within a few weeks.

Old 02-24-2020, 11:56 AM

I know this thread finished sometime back but its not that long so ill ask here rather than start a new one.

Anyway whats wrong with the Cabelas CGR series of glass rods? Never see it mentioned around these parts seems like. Ive looked at some reviews on the net but nice to have some locals comments. Price certainly looks good.

So anybody use them and for what water re: flowing or still? And what lines used would be good to know. Particularly for the 7Foot 6 incher 5/6 weight.
Old 02-24-2020, 09:08 PM

They’re great rods. I have the full lineup and like them all. They weren’t offered for sale in Canadian stores until just recently so not many people around here have used them. They have a huge following on all the glass rod forums and groups. Glass is very forgiving regarding line weights & tapers but I do prefer the heavier of the two listed for each rod, I use my 5/6 mostly for bass and use an airflo bass line with it.
Old 03-05-2020, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougC View Post
They’re great rods. I have the full lineup and like them all. They weren’t offered for sale in Canadian stores until just recently so not many people around here have used them. They have a huge following on all the glass rod forums and groups. Glass is very forgiving regarding line weights & tapers but I do prefer the heavier of the two listed for each rod, I use my 5/6 mostly for bass and use an airflo bass line with it.
PM sent DougC.