Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2021, 05:44 PM

Default Lots of fishing on Wabamun this weekend

So... fired up the boat for the first outing this year on Wabamun. Boat preformed flawlessly and all new electronics checked out, so all systems go for the season....what I did not expect was the 3 boats I encountered while crusing all over the lake, all fishing! I had to do a second take to make sure these people were actually fishing...so I did a few close fly bys...which got me some nasty glares...but after confirming my suspensions I peeled back to get to talking distance and informed these folks that they are a bit early. One boat...OK...typical people who don't really pay attention and just do what they want, two boats...k...maybe the stupids are bonding to the Covid-19 and its contagious...three boats...well maybe I am wrong here??? So I double checked the regs...Nope, its still closed, so whats happening here! All 3 boats just played dumb..accepted my warning and packed up...no total A-Holes or or anything...just "Oh Really?" Ya really! I recommended to actually read the Regs as it will save them a bunch of Money in fines...but I don't think any of them have picked up a copy of the regs in years! Any way just wondering if anyone else is seeing much of people who just have no idea..or just don't care this year?

Last edited by thorne; 05-09-2021 at 05:51 PM.
Old 05-09-2021, 05:57 PM

Could be FN
Old 05-09-2021, 06:04 PM

That crossed my mind...but I am sure they would of clearly mentioned that...but they just put the rods away...so I doubt it.
Old 05-09-2021, 06:44 PM

Not shocked at all I cross paths with the good, the bad, and the stupid throughout the year when it comes to fishing

At times I wish there was a knowledge/competency test to qualify for a fishing license like they do in some parts of Europe
Old 05-09-2021, 07:18 PM

Just clueless

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2021, 08:33 PM

I've been on 2 different lakes so far and out 3 times to run boats and get out of the house. I haven't seen a line in the water yet so was pretty happy to see that. Likely hit the lake again the next nice evening, love getting the 2 stroke fired up.
Old 05-09-2021, 09:54 PM

So did you call them in?
Old 05-10-2021, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JareS View Post
So did you call them in?
Not this time...maybe they were all very good actors...but they seemed genuinely just clueless...anyone who was knowingly poaching would not of just kept fishing as I cruised up and had the total glazed over look on their faces when you ask them if the poach on a regular basis or are they trying it out for the first time...and they all packed up and left right away...and stayed away. I kept doing the rounds to give the boat a good leg stretch, so I know they left the lake. Had I met with some resistance or saw them pulling in lines and hiding rods as I approached, then I would of called for sure. Seemed like a good educational opportunity to both let them know regs do exists...and that its not just the officials that are watching!
Old 05-10-2021, 07:31 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

glad your vessel worked out fine...ohhh and thx for the warning too

even if you had your badge with you the best education is a friendly chat now if they get stupid well perhaps that education comes with a additional cost.

seen a few boats out too but no lines in the water....

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 05-10-2021, 04:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by thorne View Post
Not this time...maybe they were all very good actors...but they seemed genuinely just clueless...anyone who was knowingly poaching would not of just kept fishing as I cruised up and had the total glazed over look on their faces when you ask them if the poach on a regular basis or are they trying it out for the first time...and they all packed up and left right away...and stayed away. I kept doing the rounds to give the boat a good leg stretch, so I know they left the lake. Had I met with some resistance or saw them pulling in lines and hiding rods as I approached, then I would of called for sure. Seemed like a good educational opportunity to both let them know regs do exists...and that its not just the officials that are watching!
Should have called anyways. I wouldn’t be giving stupid people a pass.
Old 05-10-2021, 05:33 PM

If they haven't read the regs ,chances are they were keeping every fish they landed.