Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-07-2018, 08:13 PM

Default Hunting gear

Hi everybody (in a Dr. Nick accent)

Has anyone ever used redhead, cabelas or badlands cold weather gear?

I am looking to buy some new stuff but I gotta do it on a budget. Looking for something that is warm water proof and breathable. Does this exist?

Thanks for any responses!
Old 08-07-2018, 08:30 PM

What kind of hunting do you do?
Old 08-07-2018, 08:32 PM

Just something to consider.

Get a waterproof and breathable shell and layer underneath it for warmth. While I cannot speak to those brands, the gear worn by mountaineers, backcountry skiers, and the fancy hunting brands are all based on layering under a thin shell.
Old 08-07-2018, 08:45 PM

Default Redhead gear

Been there, don’t that. Bought the gear on a budget. But that’s part of it all...we can’t all be rich! From my experience, The redhead stuff does the trick for a bit. But it has always let me down... IMO prematurely for what the gear SHOULD last. It’s happened enough that I opt to not buy that stuff anymore... but if you’re on a budget... do what you have to.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:13 PM

I find it cheaper to buy insulated work gear (get to use it for more purpose than one), then buy a huge camo t shirt and put it over. But most times I don't even bother with the camo. Minimal movement, watch the wind...
Old 08-07-2018, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CF8889 View Post
What kind of hunting do you do?
I do a mix of hunting, one partner I hunt with loves to hike around in the mountains and spot and stalk.

With another its mostly scouting a spot and waiting.

The last is truck hunting.

I will be going to Suffield this year too.
Old 08-07-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattthegorby View Post
Just something to consider.

Get a waterproof and breathable shell and layer underneath it for warmth. While I cannot speak to those brands, the gear worn by mountaineers, backcountry skiers, and the fancy hunting brands are all based on layering under a thin shell.
That might be a good idea, my last stuff was a thick jacket and in really cold weather it was great. But other than that, it would just make me sweat!
Old 08-07-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newf View Post
Been there, don’t that. Bought the gear on a budget. But that’s part of it all...we can’t all be rich! From my experience, The redhead stuff does the trick for a bit. But it has always let me down... IMO prematurely for what the gear SHOULD last. It’s happened enough that I opt to not buy that stuff anymore... but if you’re on a budget... do what you have to.
Thanks, I am hoping there will be a good sale soon. anything you recommend?
Old 08-07-2018, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassett View Post
I find it cheaper to buy insulated work gear (get to use it for more purpose than one), then buy a huge camo t shirt and put it over. But most times I don't even bother with the camo. Minimal movement, watch the wind...
I have heard that the whole camo thing can be a waste of money. What I mean is that all of the older generation plus people before them never had/needed it and still be successful.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:49 AM

I like the Cabela's lighter clothing but dress in layers. If you want camo just buy yourself an outer shell one size larger than you need and some work fleece hoodie to wear under it. I have two of their heavyweight parkas but never wear them because they are too hot if your moving around at all. It would be good if you put it on after you arrive at your stand and only plan on sitting there for a period of time. One word of warning with Cabela's though, buy the pants and jacket at the same time because they are always introducing new camo patterns. For example I bought some Zonz Western shirts on sale but the pattern was discontinued shortly after. Now I can not get any matching pants or bibs. This patterns was perfect for my hunting grounds.
The only Redhead gear I have is a t shirt but it shrunk after the first wash. It doesn't look that durable though.

Really the only time I find camo necessary is bird hunting. I go with neutral colored Tough Duck clothing deer hunting now.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 08-09-2018, 10:55 AM

Definitely want to go with layers and something waterproof if you expect rain/snow. As someone already mentioned, waterproof breathable is great. I have tried a variety of clothing but ended up biting the bullet on some higher end modular clothing. That was about 12,13 years ago and have not had to buy anything since. Depending on how and how much you hunt a good hunting jacket can last a long time.

I applied the same approach to boots and have been very happy. I you are serious about hunting long term and able to afford good gear you will not regret it. Buy once cry once I guess.

If you are just starting out you may want to be economical as you will have plenty of other gear to acquire. Remember part of the fun is gaining the experience, learning and figuring out what works for you and for the type of hunting you do. It's an adventure. Enjoy it.
Old 08-09-2018, 12:11 PM
Banned

Have always been a big big fan of cabelas hunting clothing over the years, cheaper and sometimes better than SOME of the big brands. I have had a Cabela’s parka for the last 10 years and it’s in just of good condition as when I first purchased it.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
I like the Cabela's lighter clothing but dress in layers. If you want camo just buy yourself an outer shell one size larger than you need and some work fleece hoodie to wear under it. I have two of their heavyweight parkas but never wear them because they are too hot if your moving around at all. It would be good if you put it on after you arrive at your stand and only plan on sitting there for a period of time. One word of warning with Cabela's though, buy the pants and jacket at the same time because they are always introducing new camo patterns. For example I bought some Zonz Western shirts on sale but the pattern was discontinued shortly after. Now I can not get any matching pants or bibs. This patterns was perfect for my hunting grounds.
The only Redhead gear I have is a t shirt but it shrunk after the first wash. It doesn't look that durable though.

Really the only time I find camo necessary is bird hunting. I go with neutral colored Tough Duck clothing deer hunting now.
Thanks for the advise. Light layer on top seems like the way to go. My concern with most of this stuff is trapping moisture in.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKha View Post
Definitely want to go with layers and something waterproof if you expect rain/snow. As someone already mentioned, waterproof breathable is great. I have tried a variety of clothing but ended up biting the bullet on some higher end modular clothing. That was about 12,13 years ago and have not had to buy anything since. Depending on how and how much you hunt a good hunting jacket can last a long time.

I applied the same approach to boots and have been very happy. I you are serious about hunting long term and able to afford good gear you will not regret it. Buy once cry once I guess.

If you are just starting out you may want to be economical as you will have plenty of other gear to acquire. Remember part of the fun is gaining the experience, learning and figuring out what works for you and for the type of hunting you do. It's an adventure. Enjoy it.
I agree with the boots part. I was not shy at all when it came to buying a solid reputable brand.

I really do enjoy learning and gaining the experience and knowledge though. Partly why I am on this forum.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 223MB View Post
Have always been a big big fan of cabelas hunting clothing over the years, cheaper and sometimes better than SOME of the big brands. I have had a Cabela’s parka for the last 10 years and it’s in just of good condition as when I first purchased it.
Good to hear! Sometimes I wonder if one of the more expensive brands makes it anyways and just puts a cabelas patch on. Kind of like how costco vodka is grey goose with a kirkland label...
Old 08-10-2018, 10:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mindoutside View Post
Good to hear! Sometimes I wonder if one of the more expensive brands makes it anyways and just puts a cabelas patch on. Kind of like how costco vodka is grey goose with a kirkland label...
Cabelas is big enough and definitely have product branded with their name. Some companies make retailers hold to a MSRP, and don't let them put their items on sale unless there discontinued. With their own brand they can charge what they like.

Must be the same with some groceries as I have never seen timmies Keurig on sale.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:25 AM

Cabelas MT050 parka and bibs have served me well over the years. Cabelas had a really good sale on them this past winter so I picked up another pair of bibs. There is some sticker shock with these though, or there was for me anyway. I think that it's worth it though.
Old 08-11-2018, 06:41 AM

Some good Helly-Hansen long underwear will make your dollar go a lot further
Old 08-11-2018, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Cabelas MT050 parka and bibs have served me well over the years. Cabelas had a really good sale on them this past winter so I picked up another pair of bibs. There is some sticker shock with these though, or there was for me anyway. I think that it's worth it though.
I will have a look at those. Do you ever get moistur build up in the pockets?
Old 08-11-2018, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Some good Helly-Hansen long underwear will make your dollar go a lot further
What is Helly Hansen long underwear made of?

I do have some merino wool long johns which help a lot!
Old 08-12-2018, 02:05 PM

When I guided, I wore skin tight IceBreaker top and bottom
Then an UA hoodie, a light breathable jacket over top. Windbreaker over that when we stopped to glass.

If your baselayer is snug, it will wick better. Your second layer allows heat to dissipate. Your third layer is either the same material as your second, or its a windstopper. Dont walk far in a windstopper. You will perspire too much.

Or you can wear a huge parka and just sit all day.

Camo? Meh. I can live and hunt very well without it

Merino wool is my favourite baselayer. Our cameraman liked UA as a base layer. At the end of the day, i didnt smell and he smelled like a hockey bag
Old 08-15-2018, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
When I guided, I wore skin tight IceBreaker top and bottom
Then an UA hoodie, a light breathable jacket over top. Windbreaker over that when we stopped to glass.

If your baselayer is snug, it will wick better. Your second layer allows heat to dissipate. Your third layer is either the same material as your second, or its a windstopper. Dont walk far in a windstopper. You will perspire too much.

Or you can wear a huge parka and just sit all day.

Camo? Meh. I can live and hunt very well without it

Merino wool is my favourite baselayer. Our cameraman liked UA as a base layer. At the end of the day, i didnt smell and he smelled like a hockey bag
That's awesome! a hockey bag! I do have some merino wool stuff from costco. I have used it in the past and it's been great! I like your explanation though,

Is that the kind of stuff you would wear in cold weather or mild?
Old 08-16-2018, 01:01 PM

I waited and got all of my Badlands stuff (jacket, pants, neck gaiter, and pack) on sale over a year ago. I spent quite a few days in the field with it, including some really cold days. I was always warm and dry and couldn't recommend it enough. But like everyone says, layering is the most important.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bay17jay View Post
I waited and got all of my Badlands stuff (jacket, pants, neck gaiter, and pack) on sale over a year ago. I spent quite a few days in the field with it, including some really cold days. I was always warm and dry and couldn't recommend it enough. But like everyone says, layering is the most important.
Sweet, thanks man. I do layer but clearly I am doing it wrong.
Old 08-16-2018, 07:46 PM

lots of good info above.

If your on a budget costco should be getting in their 100% merino shirts sometime now. They are usually made by cloudvill or ...
I find them to last just as good as my ice breakers and for 20.00 it's a great deal. I have a closet full of them.

Don't worry about camo.
Soft shells are nice and quiet.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:16 AM

Quote:
I will have a look at those. Do you ever get moistur build up in the pockets?
Never had a moisture problem in the pockets. Kleenex or scope cloth to wipe scope when in rain or wet snow. The cloth and kleenex actually dry inside the pockets. I needed new bibs this year because they started to leak after sitting in the snow, then a wet butt. I use them all winter from blowing snow, hunting, ice fishing etc. lasted for many years.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsmitty27 View Post
lots of good info above.

If your on a budget costco should be getting in their 100% merino shirts sometime now. They are usually made by cloudvill or ...
I find them to last just as good as my ice breakers and for 20.00 it's a great deal. I have a closet full of them.

Don't worry about camo.
Soft shells are nice and quiet.
Yea costco has some good stuff!

My only worry about soft shells, or maybe its just fleece type stuff that the snow can stick to some material and then it freezes

I have a great pair of spyder ski pants that i would love to use. Bright red though..
Old 08-17-2018, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeman3 View Post
Never had a moisture problem in the pockets. Kleenex or scope cloth to wipe scope when in rain or wet snow. The cloth and kleenex actually dry inside the pockets. I needed new bibs this year because they started to leak after sitting in the snow, then a wet butt. I use them all winter from blowing snow, hunting, ice fishing etc. lasted for many years.
Well, I guess iI will go check some out!
Old 08-17-2018, 07:43 PM

Quote:
Yea costco has some good stuff!

My only worry about soft shells, or maybe its just fleece type stuff that the snow can stick to some material and then it freezes

I have a great pair of spyder ski pants that i would love to use. Bright red though..
Performance soft shells are made to use in snow. This stuff is worn by ski guides. I am not up on hunting brands, but I imagine they use a similar quality as these MEC pants:

www.mec.ca/en/product/5040-122/HighPoint-Pants

That being said, in a storm above treeline I would rather be in a gore-tex shell. But snowshoeing daytrips below treeline I wear pants like those linked to above and love the comfort.