Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 08-13-2018, 07:29 PM

Default Hunting leased land.

So there is a bunch of land around my home that is leased from the government. First question are you required by law to ask permission? If you do is there a way to track down the leaseholder?
Old 08-13-2018, 08:15 PM

Yes ask permission.

You can find the details of the lease holder contact info on the rec access alberta site ... when the server is back up ..... there was a fire in the data centre and obviously they had no disaster recovery plan.... oh my yes that happened .. Bloody government

I think the local MD may also be able to provide contact info but I'm not sure on that.

Sent from my SM-G530W using Tapatalk
Old 08-13-2018, 08:19 PM

Not sure whereabouts you’re located, but keep in mind a leaseholder is not required to permit Rec access if there is a fire ban. Don’t quote me on this but I’m 90% sure I read this somewhere last year when tracking down permission on leased land for antelope.
Old 08-13-2018, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfiveninesix View Post
Not sure whereabouts you’re located, but keep in mind a leaseholder is not required to permit Rec access if there is a fire ban. Don’t quote me on this but I’m 90% sure I read this somewhere last year when tracking down permission on leased land for antelope.
Wrong.

http://aep.alberta.ca/recreation-pub...d/default.aspx
Old 08-13-2018, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
Technically speaking he is not wrong. It says the leaseholder is not allowed to determine if the risk is to high for, that decision is the province's to make. But if the province has issued a fire ban, that means they determined it is high risk.

So I belive access can be denied on that basis.
Old 08-13-2018, 10:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post
Technically speaking he is not wrong. It says the leaseholder is not allowed to determine if the risk is to high for, that decision is the province's to make. But if the province has issued a fire ban, that means they determined it is high risk.

This is correct
Old 08-13-2018, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianEh View Post

I disagree. Just because there is a fire ban in place, does not mean the province deems the risk too high for access. They are two different things.
I've seen provinces (BC for sure) issue a ban for everything including foot traffic to provincial land, after there had been a fire ban for weeks in advance.
Old 08-13-2018, 11:50 PM

You can use the iHunter app ($5 app purchase, $10/year for the public lands subscription) to view all lease lands in the province, with leaseholder contact info and all the same restrictions and info listed on the Rec Access site.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:01 AM

yeah. the IHunter app is the way to go. I've used it for a lot of scouting and figuring out who has what leased land and what their conditions are. Their phone number is right on the info within the app.
Old 08-14-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram crazy View Post
This is correct
Absolutely correct.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robson3954 View Post
I disagree. Just because there is a fire ban in place, does not mean the province deems the risk too high for access. They are two different things.
I've seen provinces (BC for sure) issue a ban for everything including foot traffic to provincial land, after there had been a fire ban for weeks in advance.
From the Alberta Recreational Access Regulation:

Sec. 6(1) Where a person wishing to gain access for recreational purposes to land that is the subject of an agricultural disposition that is a grazing lease or a farm development lease to use the land complies with section 5, the agricultural disposition holder shall allow access to the agricultural disposition land unless one or more of the following circumstances exist:
(c) a fire ban imposed by a competent authority under any law in force in Alberta is in effect in respect of all or part of the agricultural disposition land;
Old 08-14-2018, 03:54 PM

Kind of a garbage rule in my opinion. I don't think a person should be denied access because of a fire ban. I would understand if it became foot access only, but not a complete denial... bogus
Old 08-14-2018, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Sittn Duck View Post
Kind of a garbage rule in my opinion. I don't think a person should be denied access because of a fire ban. I would understand if it became foot access only, but not a complete denial... bogus
Yes because a rancher wants to trust his livelihood to a stranger.

Thomas Sowell
Old 08-14-2018, 07:33 PM

I can see the no access during a fire ban with firearms forsure. If you are accessing by foot and you are bowhunting, I can’t see what the dangers are. I guess as long as you’re not a smoker!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:42 PM

I look forward to this discussion every year. It’s like watching kids in the sandbox fight over the coolest toy. I just want to sit back, crack a Coors and watch the show. Bahahahahaha!
Old 08-14-2018, 08:56 PM

Easiest thing I find to do...is to call the lease holder and have a discussion. Lots of times it works out in your favour.

LC
Old 08-14-2018, 09:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Easiest thing I find to do...is to call the lease holder and have a discussion. Lots of times it works out in your favour.

LC
Bingo
Old 08-15-2018, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Yea especially one that smokes.
Old 08-15-2018, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
It's just as much my right to access the property as it is for you to protect your livelihood.

Unfortunately rules need to be dumbed down to the lowest denomenator. Yes, some idiot would likely light up a smoke and maybe even have a bloody camp fire out there during a fire ban. But why punish the innocent?

Yes you have likely major $$$ at stake, yes it's you who ultimately takes care of the land and yes you have to deal with all the idiot weekend warriors.

But YES, you also willingly accepted that responsibility knowing that it is public land and that others do have a right to use it. It's a tough deal, I know I certainly wouldn't want to be a lease holder. It's also not my problem though.

grazing leases are public land and public land should remain available to the public. My 2 cents

Flame on
Old 08-15-2018, 06:31 AM

Sorry for the derail...

Contact the lease holder, I've found that most are very accomodating and usually more surprised/refreshed that you followed the rules and actually contacted them. Only occasionally will you run into a holder who will give you flack. It's just important to know what your rights are beforehand.
Old 08-15-2018, 10:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
It's just as much my right to access the property as it is for you to protect your livelihood.

Unfortunately rules need to be dumbed down to the lowest denomenator. Yes, some idiot would likely light up a smoke and maybe even have a bloody camp fire out there during a fire ban. But why punish the innocent?

Yes you have likely major $$$ at stake, yes it's you who ultimately takes care of the land and yes you have to deal with all the idiot weekend warriors.

But YES, you also willingly accepted that responsibility knowing that it is public land and that others do have a right to use it. It's a tough deal, I know I certainly wouldn't want to be a lease holder. It's also not my problem though.

grazing leases are public land and public land should remain available to the public. My 2 cents

Flame on
With your attitude you do not have the problem, you are part of the problem.
Old 08-15-2018, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
With your attitude you do not have the problem, you are part of the problem.
I'm part of the problem because I would like access to something well within my rights to have access to? I respect the land, abide by the rules, clean up after myself and usually after others who were there before me... And yet I'm part of the problem. Sure, sounds about right
Old 08-15-2018, 02:10 PM
Banned

Crown grazing leases should be abolished plane and simple. Its the 21st century...

All this land should be sold with the lease holder having the first right of refusal and IF this lease holder doesn't have the cash then too bad!!

I'm sorry but Canada is tired of this dog and pony show.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:32 PM
Banned

Quote:
I'm part of the problem because I would like access to something well within my rights to have access to? I respect the land, abide by the rules, clean up after myself and usually after others who were there before me... And yet I'm part of the problem. Sure, sounds about right
You still don't understand??? How is a lease holder suppose to know who the innocent are, that is why when there is a fire ban no one is allowed because you can't tell. How can you not understand that?.
Old 08-15-2018, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Crown grazing leases should be abolished plane and simple. Its the 21st century...

All this land should be sold with the lease holder having the first right of refusal and IF this lease holder doesn't have the cash then too bad!!

That would significantly diminish the amount of available land for the average joe to have access to.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
You still don't understand??? How is a lease holder suppose to know who the innocent are, that is why when there is a fire ban no one is allowed because you can't tell. How can you not understand that?.
Which is why I say its a shame the innocent are punished because of the other idiots. Why rules are being made to the lowest denominator.
Old 08-15-2018, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
That would significantly diminish the amount of available land for the average joe to have access to.
It would sure cut out a lot of the whining from those who think it's there absolute right to go wherever they want.
Old 08-15-2018, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dustinjoels View Post
With the system as it is most of that land is already unavailable to the average joe.
Old 08-16-2018, 10:19 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birchcraft View Post
With the system as it is most of that land is already unavailable to the average joe.
Exactly. Lease holders lock them up like they own it... wait a minute... except that they don't!!! Once cattle are out it should be free for all.
Old 08-16-2018, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post

This^^^^