Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-16-2018, 06:37 AM

Default Outboard engine rebuilders

Hello All,
Does anyone here rebuild or know of a great outboard engine re-builder? I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 1989- 85 Force outboard, still runs, just not great! Need someone to re-build the engine so it is in tip top shape. Still want to hit the water fishing before the season ends....
Thanks in advance for all the replies
Old 08-17-2018, 08:50 AM

I used to have a ‘96 Capri with a 120Horse Force on it and like yours, it ran but not the greatest. After doing a compression test on all four cylinders I ended up just picking up some carburetor rebuild kits out of the States. After some online research and talking to several marine mechanics, I was told “Don’t fiddle with it if it runs, as those Force duel carbs are a nightmare to tune properly.” I ended up putting some new plugs in, running some sea foam through it and I always mixed with 91 Octane and it seemed to treat me quite well.

If you want to try and get it rebuilt or some advice, give the guy at Supreme Marine on Hwy 37 north of St. Albert a call.
Old 08-17-2018, 10:33 AM

honestly I would look at the buy sell pages, there are countless marine ones. Facebook, traders, online swapmeets, tons of boats and motors dirt cheap. I saw a 2008 90hp for $3000.00.
It would be difficult to get a mechanic to rebuild a motor for that, which is ridiculous. I rebuilt a Evinrude 115 after a piston meltdown in winter in my garage that ran like a top, but I may have just gotten lucky.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 08-17-2018, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esoxlucius View Post
Hello All,

Does anyone here rebuild or know of a great outboard engine re-builder? I have a 1989 Bayliner Capri with a 1989- 85 Force outboard, still runs, just not great! Need someone to re-build the engine so it is in tip top shape. Still want to hit the water fishing before the season ends....

Thanks in advance for all the replies

If your looking to get out this season, I doubt a rebuild will be done before then. Unless you pay premium. My uncle had his rebuilt and it was like $1500. This was a mid 80’s 70hp.
If it doesn’t run well, I’d guess a tune would be in order. New plugs, fresh fuel, and if your familiar and brave a carb kit.
I’ve been considering a basic re-ring on my 1984 70hp seahorse, yet I’m more leaning toward just financing a new(er) 4 stroke. What I’d save on fuel would probably cover the cost, lol.