Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 04-13-2018, 01:35 AM

Default Transportation for hunting! which is best?

Curious where peoples opinions lie on the topic of hunting vehicles.
I'm considering a few different options and am torn between them.

1. using my existing set up, of a stock half ton and a quad.

2. stock half ton and a sxs.

3. buying a small light road legal 4x4. and leaving the half ton at home.

Each one has it's drawbacks and advantages. I typically hunt between 3 and 4 hrs away from home (hwy driving). once on site drive to a drop off point either with the truck or quad and continue to walk in.

the tiny 4x4 idea has been rattling around in my head for a few years now. they are almost as capable as a sxs, they can be driven all day and get good mileage on the road. The biggest downside I can see is lack of storage room and capacity.

The sxs is very capable, not road legal, but is a heck of a lot warmer than the quad is. but it has to be pulled on its own trailer and can't be driven in the morning.

The good old quad and truck, has gotten me everywhere; but again is lacking in storage for the trip home, cold, wet and can't be driven in the a.m.

Someone talk me out of selling my quad for a tiny 4x4 haha

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 04-13-2018, 06:15 AM

Some people actually walk on their feet when hunting. I would try that before you sell the farm.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:23 AM

When a quad/ SxS breaks down you can walk to your truck and go home. Get your main unit stuck 10km of the beaten trail and you’re in for a world of fun.
Old 04-13-2018, 06:25 AM

If i understand correct but could be wrong. once you take your truck of the road and onto a trail it is classified as a OHV and falls into the same category as a quad and sxs . And can't be used till noon for hunting.
I would stick with walking
Old 04-13-2018, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overhere View Post
If i understand correct but could be wrong. once you take your truck of the road and onto a trail it is classified as a OHV and falls into the same category as a quad and sxs . And can't be used till noon for hunting.
I would stick with walking
You could be and in fact are completely wrong.

Get an 8" bed and a canopy tall enough to drive the quad under, or back under it. Make sure the canopy has side windows that open on both driver and passenger side.Backing in lets me use the winch to pull elk or moose up the ramp. You can get a moose, Elk (Elk and moose must be quartered) and two deer in the box with the quad, easily. Done it more than once. Quad will go many places a SxS can only think about. Good waterproof hunting gear solves the wet and cold issue with a quad.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:26 AM
Banned

Well I’ve been stuck in all that you’ve mentioned and of them all the quad usually has been the easiest to get unstuck. If you end up with a truck load and your quad won’t fit you could always make a 2nd trip to retrieve your quad.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

Get an 8" bed and a canopy tall enough to drive the quad under, or back under it. Make sure the canopy has side windows that open on both driver and passenger side.Backing in lets me use the winch to pull elk or moose up the ramp. You can get a moose, Elk (Elk and moose must be quartered) and two deer in the box with the quad, easily. Done it more than once. Quad will go many places a SxS can only think about. Good waterproof hunting gear solves the wet and cold issue with a quad.
^ this is a great idea, however my quad is a MAX edition (Can-am) and is 97" long. In the back of my truck I have to leave the tailgate down (short bed) and I'm sure in a long box, the quad would take up the entire bed too....

I'd invest in a small quad trailer and load your quad on it. Easier to load and unload, and then your truck bed is empty for your Elk/Deer/Moose to travel in it back to the freezer.

My bud has loaded an Elk in his truck and parked his identical sized quad on top of it though - could be a pre-tenderizer meat treatment? ha ha ha....

J.
Old 04-13-2018, 07:47 AM

Truck with quad in tilt deck trailer. Quad in, get the animal, use the tilt deck trailer to haul out the beast, throw in to truck, load the quad, go home, eat steak. What's the problem??
Old 04-13-2018, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
Well I’ve been stuck in all that you’ve mentioned and of them all the quad usually has been the easiest to get unstuck. If you end up with a truck load and your quad won’t fit you could always make a 2nd trip to retrieve your quad.
You’ve been stuck while walking?? Where the heck are you hunting? How did you get yourself out?
Old 04-13-2018, 09:02 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKILR View Post
You’ve been stuck while walking?? Where the heck are you hunting? How did you get yourself out?
Nope but I thought he was talking quad, side x side or small bush truck.
Old 04-13-2018, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post

YOU ARE RIGHT ABOUT BUSH TRUCK,they are legal to drive all day in the bush ,I think its a crock of that I have to walk in to my spots a couple miles in the am ,and a truck can drive by on a cutline .Don't get me wrong I'm not a road hunter much prefer to walk in but sucks when you see 2 guys driving by you at first light ,
Old 04-13-2018, 09:53 AM

Been hunting/trapping in Alberta for 60 years, best combination still quad in back of truck. Hate trailers can get you stuck on bad roads, Quad or skidoo in back gives extra weight for traction. A tarp on each side of quad drop quarters along edge, moose/elk nice and clean. Drive home without sxs and trailer all covered in mud.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Been hunting/trapping in Alberta for 60 years, best combination still quad in back of truck. Hate trailers can get you stuck on bad roads, Quad or skidoo in back gives extra weight for traction. A tarp on each side of quad drop quarters along edge, moose/elk nice and clean. Drive home without sxs and trailer all covered in mud.
Had it all including SxS and this is what I found best. Two quarters in game bags stay on quad and can even have some under the quad or on side.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Some people actually walk on their feet when hunting. I would try that before you sell the farm.
Not really what OP was asking advice for,but nice try.
Old 04-13-2018, 12:31 PM

I agree with the quad Ideas but when there are 2 hunters..not so much, unless you get a ride behind. I think a nice sxs would work well for me in my situation but it is not for all.
- older 6x fixed scopes with fine X or target dot.
Old 04-13-2018, 01:07 PM

I always walk
Old 04-13-2018, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Truck with quad in tilt deck trailer. Quad in, get the animal, use the tilt deck trailer to haul out the beast, throw in to truck, load the quad, go home, eat steak. What's the problem??
x2 Truck with a quad on a trailer all the way. Quad on a truck is no good to you once a moose is in the box. What do you do with the quad then? Just using the one truck for everything is not such a great idea either. You get stuck or drop a driveshaft, etc and you are totally hooped.

Drive truck and trailer/quad to destination and offload quad. Recover animal with quad and trailer. Load quad on truck and hook up to trailer. Bob's your Uncle.
Old 04-13-2018, 03:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by addictedfisherman View Post

I've thought about this a lot myself recently. Unfortunately, small road legal 4x4 seems to be virtually an extinct species. What did you have in mind? I'm curious.
Old 04-13-2018, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teberle View Post
I've thought about this a lot myself recently. Unfortunately, small road legal 4x4 seems to be virtually an extinct species. What did you have in mind? I'm curious.
looking at samurai, trackers, pajeros and other mini suv's from Japan.

Old 04-13-2018, 04:38 PM

Quote:
looking at samurai, trackers, pajeros and other mini suv's from Japan.

If you end up going that way, I'd be interested to hear what you end up with.
Old 04-13-2018, 10:33 PM

Personally I like to hike, I see the draw of a quad/sxs but I really like the quiet mornings in the mountains when I can't hear any motors anywhere except the occasional jet overhead.
Old 04-13-2018, 11:37 PM

I’d stick whit what you have. Personally I drove my half ton and then walk. Kind of sucks when packing meat out but there’s worse things. Have you thought about an older truck like an s10 or ranger? Just slightly bigger then those trackers and samurai your looking at with the added bed for hauling things out.
Old 04-14-2018, 08:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Full size 4X4 truck, quad in box, gear in the back seat area....get to area, hunt on feet, unload quad and stretch out the area intended to hunt, easy all around way of covering your needs.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-14-2018, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Full size 4X4 truck, quad in box, gear in the back seat area....get to area, hunt on feet, unload quad and stretch out the area intended to hunt, easy all around way of covering your needs.
Yep plenty of room to throw a moose in the truck with a quad in if you know what you doing.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:04 AM

Jeep TJ Unlimited on 35's
Old 04-17-2018, 05:44 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I got it....your buddies truck, your buddies side by side, and of course your buddy the chauffeur

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM
Banned

Quote:
Curious where peoples opinions lie on the topic of hunting vehicles.
I'm considering a few different options and am torn between them.

1. using my existing set up, of a stock half ton and a quad.

2. stock half ton and a sxs.

Each one has it's drawbacks and advantages. I typically hunt between 3 and 4 hrs away from home (hwy driving). once on site drive to a drop off point either with the truck or quad and continue to walk in.

the tiny 4x4 idea has been rattling around in my head for a few years now. they are almost as capable as a sxs, they can be driven all day and get good mileage on the road. The biggest downside I can see is lack of storage room and capacity.

The sxs is very capable, not road legal, but is a heck of a lot warmer than the quad is. but it has to be pulled on its own trailer and can't be driven in the morning.

The good old quad and truck, has gotten me everywhere; but again is lacking in storage for the trip home, cold, wet and can't be driven in the a.m.

Someone talk me out of selling my quad for a tiny 4x4 haha

Years ago we used a Lada Niva 4x4. Had trouble getting to 100 kph, but it was a beast in the bush. We had no problem hauling any game, including moose, back on a trailer. I've seen some guys using the old Suzuki 4x4's. I've used the small 4x4 method, and it works well.
Old 04-17-2018, 07:36 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by muledriver View Post
Years ago we used a Lada Niva 4x4. Had trouble getting to 100 kph, but it was a beast in the bush. We had no problem hauling any game, including moose, back on a trailer. I've seen some guys using the old Suzuki 4x4's. I've used the small 4x4 method, and it works well.
Used Tracker/Suzuki 4x4 as

1. legal all day SXS
2. removed back seats and used as bed for 1 or 2 + small tent to keep Gear outside overnight.
3 friend loaded 2 Elk and Wt Deer in his.
4 I had all equipment for 10 day hunt for 2 hunters and loaded 4 MD does going back 700 + KM.
5 Had winch in front and hitch trailer at the back. Hitch trailer for gas cans and some cooking gear.
One of my hunting partners owes it now and takes it when we go hunting up North

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY
Old 04-17-2018, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Definitely been stuck walking - some boots still reside in a muskeg hole or two...

Almost as much grunting and groaning to get unstuck walking as getting a quad unstuck.
Old 04-17-2018, 09:03 AM

Yep....where are all the mini 4x4 utes that dont cost an arm and a leg!

I sold my tracker 4x4 some years back and still kick myself