Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-20-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Artic Grayling - Kikisa River

Heading up to the Kikisa River in the NWT's at the end of April for the world famous artic grayling run. Anyone ever been there to fish before???
Old 03-21-2008, 06:46 AM

Default Kakisa River

I fished the run some 25 years ago when I lived in High Level. We fished the base of the Lady Evelyn Falls and downstream, catching a mess of fish each day. I had a 23" male mounted. To eat, they are not quality. The flesh resembles a tullibee, mushy as you can get!!! The grayling seemed to like a small Len Thompson white/red spoon on 4 lb line the best. Use insulated waders if you have them, or have warm underwear, because the water is COLD, especiallly when you take some into your waders. We tarped the picnic shelter and used it as a shack to eat and sleep in. All in all a great experience.

Last edited by unclebuck; 03-21-2008 at 06:51 AM.
Old 03-21-2008, 08:37 AM

Default Kikisa River

I know you probably would like a responce as to the fishing in resent years, but just had to say that I fished that river back in the mid 70s when we live in Pine Point, NWT, if I remember they used to have a fishing derby on the May long weekend back then. We did catch alot of fish useing panther martin spinners and I belive black furey mepps.There was still ice along the edge of the river some years and very muddy. I sure hope you can make the trip up there as I would be interted as to how you make out.
Old 03-22-2008, 04:14 PM

I'll keep you guys posted. Couple of the guys I'm heading up with were there last year and said they did phenomenal.