Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 06-23-2008, 06:35 PM

Default Arrrrggggghhhhh!!!!

Just got home from another attempt at fishing the NSR. No luck again. That makes it 3 trips to the river in the last 2 weeks, and 0 bites. No nibbles, no fish nothin.

I am so frustrated. What am I doing wrong? I`ve been fishing with a pickerel rig and minnow. Been going to the spot where whitemud creek meets the NSR. Other people that were fishing there were pulling fish out, just not me. I tried a couple of spots in that area, and nothin.

Anyone have some tips? A new location that may be better? Do I just need to keep trying to persevere though it? Would anyone want to go hit the river with me sometime and give some pointers?
Old 06-23-2008, 06:40 PM

Default no luck

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
Just got home from another attempt at fishing the NSR. No luck again. That makes it 3 trips to the river in the last 2 weeks, and 0 bites. No nibbles, no fish nothin.

I am so frustrated. What am I doing wrong? I`ve been fishing with a pickerel rig and minnow. Been going to the spot where whitemud creek meets the NSR. Other people that were fishing there were pulling fish out, just not me. I tried a couple of spots in that area, and nothin.

Anyone have some tips? A new location that may be better? Do I just need to keep trying to persevere though it? Would anyone want to go hit the river with me sometime and give some pointers?
i've often wonderd about that ? how do the fish know it's me.
Old 06-23-2008, 06:41 PM

I dont know buddy,

NSR has kicked my ***** everytime ive been out...

somebody fill me in...
Old 06-24-2008, 11:54 PM

I am definately in the same boat. I hear all kinds of stories and read about how the NSR is such a great fishery, but I have yet to catch anything on the river other than floating debris.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:32 AM

Default sooo....

No help then for any of us newbs to the area? That's awesome!!!

I thought this forum was for helping each other out, especially for some of us that are new to the area or new to the sport.

Thanks for nothin.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM

tried few time at whitemud creek joins NSR, got quiet a lot, sucker, burbot, walleye, some little pikes.

If the current is fast, maybe lure is not a good choice. try some minnows and worms.

also heard that there is another spot:

head terwilligar drive down to south, over anthney hendy, and turn right on 170 st, and finally you will be in a golf cours. fishing from shore there is great.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigA View Post
No help then for any of us newbs to the area? That's awesome!!!

I thought this forum was for helping each other out, especially for some of us that are new to the area or new to the sport.

Thanks for nothin.
Relax BigA... you just put this up and you are new here... give people some time. People are usually helpful.

I'm not even bothering to fish right now down here, the rivers are all high and silty... not sure how a fish would even see my hook.... which bugs me no end as I just finished a fly fishing course and bought all the gear! now I have to wait.
Old 06-25-2008, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
Relax BigA... you just put this up and you are new here... give people some time. People are usually helpful.

I'm not even bothering to fish right now down here, the rivers are all high and silty... not sure how a fish would even see my hook.... which bugs me no end as I just finished a fly fishing course and bought all the gear! now I have to wait.
Maybe I did over react a bit...... If I offended anyone, I am sorry. I'm just very frustrated not catching anything.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:00 AM

Give yourself a chance and wait for the water the clear up a bit. Some guys say that the fish will bite even when there is zero visibilty. Maybe that's true if you fluke out and rub the fishes nose with the hook. I wouldn't waste your time until things get cleaner.
Old 06-25-2008, 10:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirmike68 View Post
Give yourself a chance and wait for the water the clear up a bit. Some guys say that the fish will bite even when there is zero visibilty. Maybe that's true if you fluke out and rub the fishes nose with the hook. I wouldn't waste your time until things get cleaner.
I hear ya... I live 150 yards from the Sheep River and can't use it yet... grrrrr
What to do in the meantime? I think some local gophers are going to feel my wrath and some .22 WMR hot lead! LOL
Old 06-25-2008, 06:43 PM

Gentlemen I can help greatly with your NSR issues....

There is so much rapid change in the sediment or sand where whitemud creek enters the NSR, therefore the "holes" or "pools" change as well.....if you are after catching anything there try a little further out from the mouth if you are downstream of the creek cast 20-30 feet out and let your bait sit.

As for bait you best bet is Dew worms on a pickeral rig with the bottom hook at least a foot to a foot and a half off the bottom. Don't just fish at the creek mouth about 20 yards down to i guess 30 yards downstream of the creek mouth about 20 to 30 feet out there same thing try dew worms... If you are planning on using minnows or smelts use the exact same set up and cast slightly closer to shore....the key with whitemud is patience and experience.....you can only gain experience with patience.

There are many tricks with catching at the creek but it also depends on the habitat at the time you go. Spoons and other lures do sometimes work but its based on the Angler using them and the time they choose to fish. We all fish slightly different ways and fish at different times.

Try a jig with a minnow, cast it into the pool of the creek and slowly retrieve it......if after say 30 casts nothing try a pickeral rig and still fish in that spot........after 20 mins if no bites or nothing try worms....same thing and then just keep moving down stream......don't cast out crazy far...just enough to get your bait 20 feet or so.

These are from this year on the NSR

Here check out this link for some other info....
http://thetacklebox.heavenforum.com/...diary-t121.htm