Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2016, 07:40 PM

Default Asian Carp

http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/asian...tudy-1.2723351

Here's an interesting link to read if you haven't seen it yet. I have read previous posts about anglers catching Prussian Carp etc in the Red Deer River and other parts of southern Alberta so this is a big deal and very concerning. It may also already be way too late to turn back the hands of time. These things could end up Canada wide within a few years. This will be a huge challenge for Biologists in the Great Lakes. Hopefully the Walleye, Musky and Pike will proliferate having a new food source and keep things under control but that's wishful thinking I guess. Interesting to here that the Carp could represent a net positive to both Perch and Smallmouth's......my top two favourite species to catch bar none, but I'd much prefer it I think if these damn Carp would have never been brought to these shores in the first place but like I said, too little too late. Same goes for the Pine Beetle. Maybe we could send Asia a few million stunted hammer handles and some big head skinny anorexic body Walleyes to get even with them since we seem to have an abundance of those here now that nobody wants either lol! Ahhh just kidding, as bad as things often seem, they often are never quite as bad as first thought, let's hope it's the case with these Carp too!
Old 01-05-2016, 04:34 PM

Interesting read thanks for the link...I agree with you and hope you are correct!
#1 win the lottery (so I could fish everyday)
#2 & 3 still thinking.....
Old 06-06-2018, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishslayer99 View Post
Interesting read thanks for the link...I agree with you and hope you are correct!
I met a fellow from Strathmore who catches them and cans them, like salmon.
Old 06-06-2018, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Smallmouth bass could be another winner because their primary food source is round goby, which Asian carp don't eat.
I don’t see how not being the biggest loser when an ecosystem collapses can be considered a winner
Old 06-07-2018, 05:49 AM

I believe it doesn’t really matter if they eat the golby fish or not the Asian carp eat every other kind of bug and tiny fish the gooby itself eats and leave less food for it. Nothing good would come out of Asian carp infesting any lake
Old 06-07-2018, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PerchBuster View Post
http://www.ctvnews.ca/sci-tech/asian...tudy-1.2723351

Here's an interesting link to read if you haven't seen it yet. I have read previous posts about anglers catching Prussian Carp etc in the Red Deer River and other parts of southern Alberta so this is a big deal and very concerning. It may also already be way too late to turn back the hands of time. These things could end up Canada wide within a few years. This will be a huge challenge for Biologists in the Great Lakes. Hopefully the Walleye, Musky and Pike will proliferate having a new food source and keep things under control but that's wishful thinking I guess. Interesting to here that the Carp could represent a net positive to both Perch and Smallmouth's......my top two favourite species to catch bar none, but I'd much prefer it I think if these damn Carp would have never been brought to these shores in the first place but like I said, too little too late. Same goes for the Pine Beetle. Maybe we could send Asia a few million stunted hammer handles and some big head skinny anorexic body Walleyes to get even with them since we seem to have an abundance of those here now that nobody wants either lol! Ahhh just kidding, as bad as things often seem, they often are never quite as bad as first thought, let's hope it's the case with these Carp too!
Mountain Pine Beetle is native to Western North America

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supergrit View Post
I believe it doesn’t really matter if they eat the golby fish or not the Asian carp eat every other kind of bug and tiny fish the gooby itself eats and leave less food for it. Nothing good would come out of Asian carp infesting any lake
Round Goby is an invasive species. It would be beneficial if they DID eat round goby.
Old 06-07-2018, 08:53 AM
Banned

Four years ago I was damage control trapping Beaver in Red Deer but this was a pond about two hundred meters from the river , My trap was a 10 inch body grip rotating jaw about three ft under water along the bank , I checked it every morning for five days and it never appeared to have been fired , so the last day I pulled the set and much to my surprise I had a fish in the jaws ! It was still alive as it was caught by the tail only , It did not appear like any I recognized so I took a picture and sent it to a biologist , They called t a Prussian Carp . So I assume this fish had came into the pond with flood waters , subsequent to this a year later I saw one in the creek near bower ponds , so according to the F&W they are here to stay ! And yesterday again I saw a partially eaten one on a Beaver house in the same creek .
Old 06-08-2018, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by parfleche View Post
Four years ago I was damage control trapping Beaver in Red Deer but this was a pond about two hundred meters from the river , My trap was a 10 inch body grip rotating jaw about three ft under water along the bank , I checked it every morning for five days and it never appeared to have been fired , so the last day I pulled the set and much to my surprise I had a fish in the jaws ! It was still alive as it was caught by the tail only , It did not appear like any I recognized so I took a picture and sent it to a biologist , They called t a Prussian Carp . So I assume this fish had came into the pond with flood waters , subsequent to this a year later I saw one in the creek near bower ponds , so according to the F&W they are here to stay ! And yesterday again I saw a partially eaten one on a Beaver house in the same creek .
You’re referring to Prussian Carp, a smaller species of Carp which have been in Alberta for almost a decade. They have naturalized and are indeed here to stay.

The article is in reference to Silver Carp and Bighead Carp. They grow much bigger and are the ones that leap out of the water at the noise of boat motors. As indicated in the article, they ARE already in the Great Lakes. They were being kept out of the Great Lakes from the Mississippi by an electric barrier. There was a power outage and they then entered Lake Michigan and are now in the Lakes

I’m shocked that theres been no human fatalities from the jumping Carp. Some of the videos are pretty gruesome, 20+ pounds flying at your head..