Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2016, 10:54 AM

Default Depth Finder Power Wiring

Hey All,

I'm installing a new depth finder on my boat and I'm wondering what most of you do to power your units - do you wire them directly the your cranking battery with an inline fuse or do you wire them to your fuse box?

My boat is pretty old, so I'm inclined to wire it to the battery with an inline fuse (unless you all tell me I'm crazy). Anyone willing to share where they've found a good inline fuse holder? My power wires are 18 g. and I need a 3A fuse.

Thanks for any help!
Old 11-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Best way is direct to the battery.

But both ways will work.

I have a dedicated battery for my finders. That is best also, but not necessary.

Wouldnt hurt to run 16 ga rather than 18 as well.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-03-2016, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LutherDLG View Post
Hey All,

I'm installing a new depth finder on my boat and I'm wondering what most of you do to power your units - do you wire them directly the your cranking battery with an inline fuse or do you wire them to your fuse box?

My boat is pretty old, so I'm inclined to wire it to the battery with an inline fuse (unless you all tell me I'm crazy). Anyone willing to share where they've found a good inline fuse holder? My power wires are 18 g. and I need a 3A fuse.

Thanks for any help!
If it's a Lowrance sonar unit, there will be an inline fuse holder and fuse included with the power cord wiring.

I prefer a direct connection to the battery, there's less chance of having interference issues on your sonar unit that way. The further away you can run your wiring to your sonar unit from any wiring to the trolling motors (or other electronics) the better off you'll be. It's also easy to install a switch on the dash as well just to make sure there's no battery drain.
Old 11-03-2016, 01:44 PM

Thanks for all the tips Fellas.

The unit is a Helix 5 DI, and according to the manual, doesn't come with an inline fuse holder.

I think I'll opt to wire it directly to the battery. I always make sure that my cranking battery is fully charged before going out, and my motor does have a charging system. So I'd be shocked if I killed a full battery with intermittent motor runs. I'll definitely be cautious until I'm used to how much it drains (ie. turn the brightness down, etc.).

Any idea on where to find an 18 g. 3A fuse holder? Everything I've seen so far is a lot bigger gauge and rated for much bigger fuses. I'll keep hunting.

Thanks again.
Old 11-03-2016, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
And if you're going to wire its directly to the battery, the fuse should go directly to the positive on the battery, don't put it at the head end for safety reasons.

If you're crimping, make sure crimps are the correct size for the cable and crimped with the correct crimping tool / setting.
I would probably solder rather than crimp. Had all mine vibrate loose. Haha also dont wire it too your bilge pump like the previous owner of mine did. Everytime I turn the bilge pump on my fish finder turns off

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
Old 11-03-2016, 04:47 PM

For fuses this is what I was using:

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...161103224423:s

Just use 3 amp fuse.

I bought mine from Canadian Tire.

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 11-03-2016, 04:55 PM

Thanks for all the responses!

Quote:
And if you're going to wire its directly to the battery, the fuse should go directly to the positive on the battery, don't put it at the head end for safety reasons.

If you're crimping, make sure crimps are the correct size for the cable and crimped with the correct crimping tool / setting.
Good call - I'll wire it as close to the battery terminal as I can. One of the reasons I wanted an 18 g. inline holder is so that I can use the right crimp so I hear ya there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon5555 View Post
I would probably solder rather than crimp. Had all mine vibrate loose. Haha also dont wire it too your bilge pump like the previous owner of mine did. Everytime I turn the bilge pump on my fish finder turns off

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk
That's actually hilarious (for me). I'm trying to think of any reason why someone would do that...

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
For fuses this is what I was using:

https://www.acklandsgrainger.com/en/...161103224423:s

Just use 3 amp fuse.

I bought mine from Canadian Tire.
Thanks! Was going to hit up Can Tire, but found a place in the NE called Active Technologies that sells 18 g. holders. Should be set!

Thanks again.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Good old Active, some of the worst customer service and general lack of knowledge. I remember an advert they had for staff once and it said "No Experience Necessary".

If you're going in there, they don't always have everything in stock that they list online, so phone first.

If you're thinking of heading to Active, then consider MRO Electronics instead, they not far away (near the Air Museum), have staff who know what a fuse is, and have a reasonable selection / prices.
Haha thanks for the head so up, it was definitely a kid that answered the phone. He seemed to know what he was talking about though. I actually called MRO first because they had what I wanted on their website but don't stock it!