Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 05-28-2015, 06:32 PM

Default tavor optics

So I broke down and purchased my first bull pup. I had a 200$ Bushnell 3x9x40 in the safe waiting for a rifle. But what I didn't realize is the height requirements of the rails. With extra tall rings, the glass doesn't come close to the shooters eye.
So any options ? Maybe a 4x red dot. Or does anyone have mount options for my 3x9x40
I'll be in Edmonton over the weekend if anyone can point me in a good direction. Thanks
Old 05-28-2015, 06:37 PM

Acog
Old 05-28-2015, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Acog
Seeing how the OP was looking to mount a Bushnell I doubt he's shopping for an ACOG..
You can get a Leupold 1.25-4x20 vx-r for around 5.
They are really nice.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:21 PM

He asked for other options and mentioned a red dot. I suggested an acog, if it's out of his budget that's for him to decide but seeing as he has a tavor, I doubt it is.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:28 PM

Quote:
He asked for other options and mentioned a red dot. I suggested an acog, if it's out of his budget that's for him to decide but seeing as he has a tavor, I doubt it is.
Double gun,
Didn't mean any disrespect to your post, I probably could have reworded that a bit better.
Old 05-29-2015, 08:25 AM

I recently bought one of these and well and currently have a Bushnell TRS-25 red dot on it. It is not the best by a long stretch and is certainly very different than the glass I am use to. With that said it works so far.

I would look at the bushnell line of AR optics. They have a few 1-4 x scopes and they range from $200ish to $350ish without a base. The more expensive one is an FFP and has fairly good reviews online. I dont really get the point of an FFP on this kind of scope but it does have a red dot on it as well for use on 1X.

If you want to spend the big bucks a Trijicon or Elcan will do the trick. Alot of the guys on CGN seem to like the Elcans while others like the 1-6 or 1-8 optics that the companies are selling these days.

Best of luck and let us know what you end up with.
Old 05-29-2015, 10:24 AM

Bah, it's a ridiculously expensive just-for-fun rifle for shooting paper and steel.

Putting a cheap hunting scope on there would look silly, and absolutely would go against the entire reason you bought the thing.

I'd second the above posters on the Elcan/ACOG/etc. You spent the money on an expensive toy military gun, may as well spend a couple more dollars and make it look the part.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:21 PM

Tavor is not really designed for magnified optics.
A red dot or a holographic unit are more appropriate and will get you to a minute of coyote up to 300 yds, depending on your eyes.

Considering barrel quality and length, don't bother with expensive optics. It's a nice looking (overpriced due to unrestricted status) rifle, but ultimately it is an infantry rifle, very sturdy at the expense of top notch accuracy. Don't expect it to behave like a match grade or designated marksman AR, you'll be disappointed. And so far replacement barrels are really scarce, if not impossible to get, in whole northern america.

Anyway...

I'd suggest an Aimpoint PRO. For around $500, you got a top of the line red dot, a really good quality mount and covers. And 5 years of use without having to shut it down with standard batteries. It's heavy duty and will look good on your rifle.

Aimpoint is more expensive than other brands, but their quality and reliability is priceless. You'll more likely sell the TAVOR, but you'll keep the Aimpoint.

Elcan and ACOGs are great but overkill for us civvies.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:36 PM

There is actually a store right now that is selling the aimpoint pro for $500 including shipping and taxes which is a decent deal. I would agree with Fredo that the Aimpoints seem to be some pretty solid redots.

I would disagree slightly though that a magnified optic has no place on a Tavor. There is actually a designated marksmen version of the Tavor called the Star-21. There is not much info on them but it looks like a longer barrelled Tavor with an Acog 4x on it. I will say that Fredo is right in that it most likely wont complete with an accurized AR.

I have not shot mine a whole bunch yet but I do intend to see what kind of accuracy I can get out of it. There was an article in Tactical Life that said it was sub-moa capable. Now, I know this is thrown around all the time but I hope a magazine would be a little more reliable. I have a feeling some of the poor groups are due to a terrible trigger and people trying to shoot tiny groups using a 4x scope.
Old 05-29-2015, 02:55 PM

Exclamation

Quote:
Acog is not out of my price range. But seeing how the tavor shoots with iron sights. I think it's a bit overkill for its overall shooting ability. I'm thinking 300-400 in a red dot is the most I'd spend on this particular rifle. or mount the cheaper 3x9.

It does not contend to my ar. Even with better ammo, and it's purpose is for shooting coyote, skunk or badgers on the farm. It will likely never see a firing range.(as long as it's non-restricted).

Last edited by tcharger67; 05-29-2015 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:11 PM

I actually did the same thing last week and caved and finally bought this beauty.

I put a Vortex Strikefire 2 along with a VMX - 3T magnifier & flip down mount. I really like the red dot sight and I was surprised by the eye relief of the multiplier. It's nice to have the magnification when you want it and be able to move it aside when shooting at closer distances.
Old 05-29-2015, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumby567 View Post
I actually did the same thing last week and caved and finally bought this beauty.

I put a Vortex Strikefire 2 along with a VMX - 3T magnifier & flip down mount. I really like the red dot sight and I was surprised by the eye relief of the multiplier. It's nice to have the magnification when you want it and be able to move it aside when shooting at closer distances.
Gumby where did you get that? I can find the striker, but not the magnifier.
There was a striker here in Lloyd at Magnum. No magnifier though. I really liked it. Better than the Redfield for the same price.
Old 05-29-2015, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcharger67 View Post
I think it's a bit overkill for its overall shooting ability.
A red-dot is nice on these, but I'm not sure that I'd agree that magnification is overkill.

I wouldn't put a 3-9 scope on it, but something with some magnification is nice.

If you are taking it for 'yotes, a RD has somewhat limited usefulness, at least in my experience.

The 223 out of an 18" barrel is certainly capable out longer than I am with a red dot, and 3 - 4x magnification takes better advantage of it.

Indecision got the better of me and I put both on mine with a Leupold HAMR. I'm very happy with it so far, provides a lot more fun with a gong at 100+.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 14068398296030.jpg (33.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 05-29-2015, 06:40 PM

It's funny to me, most people will throw a 6-18 AO scope on a 223 rem bolt gun with a bipod for long shots at coyotes and vermin aka gophers. But must have a tacti-cool sight eg: ACOG, aimpoint, elcan, etc (don't get me wrong I have a TRS-25 on mine) on an AR or similar firearm. Granted the tavor would look odd with a huge high power target turret 50mm scope. Some call it CDI but I'm sure everyone of us do it for IDI ( I dig it) guess it comes down to what you're planning on using the rifle for, what you want to spend, and whatever you want to do. Have fun
Old 05-29-2015, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coppercarbide View Post
A red-dot is nice on these, but I'm not sure that I'd agree that magnification is overkill.

I wouldn't put a 3-9 scope on it, but something with some magnification is nice.

If you are taking it for 'yotes, a RD has somewhat limited usefulness, at least in my experience.

The 223 out of an 18" barrel is certainly capable out longer than I am with a red dot, and 3 - 4x magnification takes better advantage of it.

Indecision got the better of me and I put both on mine with a Leupold HAMR. I'm very happy with it so far, provides a lot more fun with a gong at 100+.
A 1-4x optics is a great option, I totally agree. I was refering to, in my previous post, to higher magnification optics.

A good 2 MOA red dot, like an aimpoint, will get you constantly hitting a small gong a 100-150, and repeatably a pie plate at 300, and they allow fast acquisition and follow up shots, which is plain fun with the OP rifle.

But as Albertaguide said... Have fun tweaking your set up, it's the most important!
Old 06-01-2015, 11:19 AM

Found the multiplier at Wholesale Sports in Calgary.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:12 AM

I’m sure the op probably found something for his tavor since he opened the thread almost 3 years ago.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Albertaguide View Post
It's funny to me, most people will throw a 6-18 AO scope on a 223 rem bolt gun with a bipod for long shots at coyotes and vermin aka gophers. But must have a tacti-cool sight eg: ACOG, aimpoint, elcan, etc (don't get me wrong I have a TRS-25 on mine) on an AR or similar firearm. Granted the tavor would look odd with a huge high power target turret 50mm scope. Some call it CDI but I'm sure everyone of us do it for IDI ( I dig it) guess it comes down to what you're planning on using the rifle for, what you want to spend, and whatever you want to do. Have fun
Old thread ya - but just wanted to say, you throw a scope like that on a Tavor and it's time to practice your chest weld

Colin