Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 02-21-2018, 03:59 PM

Talking Ever see a dry fire right beside you?

I was shooting yesterday, and this poor guy draws back after talking to someone else, aims, steadies, and I am thinking ok, he just came back from tightening a rattle, he must be checking to see......

BANG!!!

Big wide eyes and he is looking to see what exploded!

I had a second or 2, had JUST opened my mouth to ask if he was going to let loose without an arrow, but I thought this guy competes, has on a prostaff shirt and a $3500 setup, nope whak done.

Things got very loud for the 1/5th second when the bow shouted at him then absolutely silent for about 15 seconds as we all looked to see what exploded, looking for parts and blood. None anywhere

APA Pit Viper I think he called it. He shot a few arrows then went outside for a while after putting everything away. Poor bugger.

The lady running the lanes (for the children in there) said he should be more careful, then said 'well it happens to everyone at some point'.

I disagree, 40 years never once for me.

I am glad nothing exploded, apparently APA makes a pretty good bow. I have seen the dry fire videos from full draw, sure never want to do it though.

Originally Posted by Twisted Canuck
I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-21-2018, 05:16 PM

Yeesh!

That'll wake you up in a hurry. Glad he's okay.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:35 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

I would have burst out laughing....but I have a sick sense of humour....was at a archery store, lanes to try your bow out, buddy draws back, lots of poundage so he arcs his back to get a good ol'red neck yank on the ol'bow well mid way through the draw the release was touch and the arrow was stuck In The ceiling mid way down the range....yup I burst out laughing....wouldn't want to be a quarter section over during bow season enjoying a sandwhich with this fella hunting.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 02-21-2018, 06:02 PM

Accidents happen. Happened to me a few years ago at a 3d shoot. Shooting with experienced archers and they didnt notice either. We were all focused on a tiny 11 ring in the shade on a target. I never took my eyes off the spot we decided was the 11... and my release at the time, was a design that u didnt need to look at the string to hook onto. Accidents happen. Bloodied wrist , i still walked the rest of the course with my group. String broke at the peep. Bow was fine. Still have tue scar in the shape of a D-loop

But how many arrows do you shoot a day Ken?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I was shooting yesterday, and this poor guy draws back after talking to someone else, aims, steadies, and I am thinking ok, he just came back from tightening a rattle, he must be checking to see......

BANG!!!

Big wide eyes and he is looking to see what exploded!

I had a second or 2, had JUST opened my mouth to ask if he was going to let loose without an arrow, but I thought this guy competes, has on a prostaff shirt and a $3500 setup, nope whak done.

Things got very loud for the 1/5th second when the bow shouted at him then absolutely silent for about 15 seconds as we all looked to see what exploded, looking for parts and blood. None anywhere

APA Pit Viper I think he called it. He shot a few arrows then went outside for a while after putting everything away. Poor bugger.

The lady running the lanes (for the children in there) said he should be more careful, then said 'well it happens to everyone at some point'.

I disagree, 40 years never once for me.

I am glad nothing exploded, apparently APA makes a pretty good bow. I have seen the dry fire videos from full draw, sure never want to do it though.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:24 PM
Banned

When I was 15 I was so proud bought my first bow a pse thunderbolt shooting alluminum arrows first shot knock wasn't all the way on or slipped off and dry fire lol it happens more then you expect
Old 02-21-2018, 06:31 PM

While I was shooting at our local range, a fellow dry fired a recurve crossbow. The string broke, but no other damage was apparent. I was surprised by how loud the dry fire was.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alberta Bigbore View Post

When I was in full swing and would shoot all summer long it was nothing to shoot from 6 until dark. On the weekend go out shooting gophers until either all the arrows were lost, broken, damaged or the gophers were gone.

Now after not shooting for a couple years I am shooting for 1-3 hours every day or miss a day here and there. 100-160 a day? I am just getting back into it so for the first week my left arm was giving me a little grief, but I think I am through that hurdle. Yesterday I was shooting 6 arrows a round, through 2 bows, 75lb bowtech and 60lb obsession.
I am still trying to decide if I should sell the Bowtech or the Hoyt and keep the Obsession, or keep all 3.
2 bows at a time was fun. I am having trouble getting the new one to group like the Bowtech, but it's getting there. I wanted to try newer tech, and found a great one from a member here in the Obsession. I also didn't see the point in driving 75lb arrows into the paper up to the vanes when a 60lb shoots lighter arrows faster. Faster is better

I really need to get a good single pin sight for the obsession, and a long stabilizer eventually.

I wasn't thinking far enough ahead for an outcome, I was ranting. By definition, a rant doesn't imply much forethought.....
Old 02-21-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhunter11 View Post
While I was shooting at our local range, a fellow dry fired a recurve crossbow. The string broke, but no other damage was apparent. I was surprised by how loud the dry fire was.
The APA was suprisingly sedate when he let it go, I was expecting shards of broken limbs and cables everywhere, but it held up very well. (on the outside anyway)

Old 02-21-2018, 09:10 PM

Never forget buying my first compound years ago. Nice Browning that I was very happy to get. Guy was doing up the paperwork, bow on the counter, another guy came in interested in same bow.....picked it up and, yup dry fired it. Shattered into pieces and got a limb in the face, lucky not in the eye.

Nothing like paying for a new bow to go straight in the trash
Old 02-21-2018, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Accidents happen. Happened to me a few years ago at a 3d shoot. Shooting with experienced archers and they didnt notice either. We were all focused on a tiny 11 ring in the shade on a target. I never took my eyes off the spot we decided was the 11... and my release at the time, was a design that u didnt need to look at the string to hook onto. Accidents happen. Bloodied wrist , i still walked the rest of the course with my group. String broke at the peep. Bow was fine. Still have tue scar in the shape of a D-loop

I was there

Felt bad for you as I was looking through my binos and never noticed there wasn't an arrow nocked.

LC
Old 02-21-2018, 11:21 PM

Default bad bow shots

If you look around the ceilings and walls of most archery ranges, you can see evidence of bad shots----The dry fires oh boy --that can get expensive.
Old 02-22-2018, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyoteman View Post
If you look around the ceilings and walls of most archery ranges, you can see evidence of bad shots----The dry fires oh boy --that can get expensive.
Yup some places have signage up....you dry fire you buy! I would add in fine print hospital bills are on your dime!

Scary for sure with all the potential energy letting go and no arrow to absorb it...

Old 02-22-2018, 06:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justfishin73 View Post
Never forget buying my first compound years ago. Nice Browning that I was very happy to get. Guy was doing up the paperwork, bow on the counter, another guy came in interested in same bow.....picked it up and, yup dry fired it. Shattered into pieces and got a limb in the face, lucky not in the eye.

Nothing like paying for a new bow to go straight in the trash
The salesman actually didn't place another new one in your hands and go after the other guy for the cost of the exploded one? More info please - I may never visit that retail establishment.....

I, at the very least, would've given said idiot the black eye he deserved. What kind of idiot does that?

J.
Old 02-22-2018, 07:37 AM

First bow was pse thunderflite..first hard cam in the club, me the newby. Aroow on the string, first shot made way too much noise. Two experienced shooters came over and observed my launch from inches away. Turned out hard cam string was much thicker than standard and nocks were leaving the string way too early in release. 3 semi dry fires didn’t affect bow, shot it for years before replacing withe g-force.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:24 AM

Was at full draw and heard one about 10ft behind me scared the crap out of me. Made me want to pack up and call it a day scary stuff.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:41 AM

while working at Russell sports back in University, we heard them all the time as newbies would grab a bow and pull it back with no help and .....whack!!!!!! always was interesting to see how fast they would put the bow down and walk away like nothing happened. my buddy also got his jacket caught in between the string and rolled into the cam at the South Clagary Archery shop, man he was embarrassed when they had to put the bow on the press to get his jacket un-stuck.lol
Old 02-22-2018, 11:57 AM

They had a archery shoot at Red Deer Centemum years ago.
Competitors from all across Western Canada.

One of the fellows had an aluminum arrow explode on release as it took out his bow holding hand.

It was bad, real bad.

Apparently the aluminum arrows where tracked back to a bow and sporting goods store that had caught on fire the year before.

Another shop picked this arrow shafts up on sale since there was no fiscal damage that could be seen on them,,, but after the law suit it was determined that the arrows substand damage in the fire.

I'm not sure of all the details to this incident, but I'm sure there are those on this forum that remember what happened that day.

The sad part of it was / is, that this archer person got seriously hurt.

Don
Old 02-22-2018, 01:20 PM

I've had a riser snap at full draw, cable strung wrong and cam cut it, cracked nocks, cracked limbs, overdraws break off, sight brackets break off. Seen one where the limb snapped off, couple of snapped risers, few strings let loose due to unknown reasons, couple of people bonked on the bean with flying pieces. Some were faulty maintenance, some faulty product, some bad design product, some had brain farts.
Old 02-22-2018, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don_Parsons View Post
They had a archery shoot at Red Deer Centemum years ago.
Competitors from all across Western Canada.
One of the fellows had an aluminum arrow explode on release as it took out his bow holding hand. It was bad, real bad. Apparently the aluminum arrows where tracked back to a bow and sporting goods store that had caught on fire the year before. Another shop picked this arrow shafts up on sale since there was no fiscal damage that could be seen on them,,, but after the law suit it was determined that the arrows substand damage in the fire. I'm not sure of all the details to this incident, but I'm sure there are those on this forum that remember what happened that day. The sad part of it was / is, that this archer person got seriously hurt.

Don

Yikes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 32-40win View Post
I've had a riser snap at full draw, cable strung wrong and cam cut it, cracked nocks, cracked limbs, overdraws break off, sight brackets break off. Seen one where the limb snapped off, couple of snapped risers, few strings let loose due to unknown reasons, couple of people bonked on the bean with flying pieces. Some were faulty maintenance, some faulty product, some bad design product, some had brain farts.
Double yikes. Ok, glasses. gotcha.

Old 02-22-2018, 09:14 PM

Quote:

you were expecting me to say 9?

Old 02-22-2018, 10:34 PM

Quote:

happens to a lot more people then you think seen it happen at the range seen it at the store and on shoots. no different then the guy that pulls the trigger on his empty gun.

mack

Last edited by Morbius131; 03-05-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 02-22-2018, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post
happens to a lot more people then you think seen it happen at the range seen it at the store and on shoots. no different then the guy that pulls the trigger on his empty gun.

but none of this can happen to Ken. he cant be shooting much he spends all his time backing up the police...

mack
Exclamation Message board "RULES"
This message board intended use is for hunters, anglers, trappers, and all individuals who may be interested in the Outdoors. Therefore, anti-hunters, anti-anglers, and anti-trappers are not welcome to the use of this message board.

- Please use common courtesy and respect to other message board users. [COLOR="blue"]Treat others in how you wish to be treated! Please do NOT take matters into your hands if you see the rules outlined not adhered to, please utilize the report a post function and the moderators will address if need be.

- Profanities, racism, flaming or other belittling remarks made toward other message board users will not be tolerated.

Old 02-23-2018, 05:27 AM

I don't think I'd climb too high on my horse over witnessing a dry fire. I saw one of the most experienced shooters in the province dry fire his compound. We were yakking and he simply forgot to put an arrow on. With a compound and all the gizmos in your face it's easy to not see that there's no arrow there. If it was a recurve or a longbow I'd be scratching my head
Old 02-23-2018, 05:52 AM

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I don't think I'd climb too high on my horse over witnessing a dry fire. I saw one of the most experienced shooters in the province dry fire his compound. We were yakking and he simply forgot to put an arrow on. With a compound and all the gizmos in your face it's easy to not see that there's no arrow there. If it was a recurve or a longbow I'd be scratching my head
Yup I even shot my ram rod out of my muzzleloader once so ya in the shooting sports things happen

Old 02-23-2018, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackinaw View Post

but none of this can happen to Ken. he cant be shooting much he spends all his time backing up the police...

mack

Yep, seen it several times myself and unfortunately made the blunder as well on a new Prime Alloy while setting the peep height. Just wanted to make "1" more adjustment but all 3 of my arrows were already in the target. Drew back to check the adjustment I just made and for some stupid reason I just continued with my "shot sequence." Broke the string but other than that the bow was ok.
Old 02-23-2018, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58thecat View Post
Yup I even shot my ram rod out of my muzzleloader once so ya in the shooting sports things happen
Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
Yep, seen it several times myself and unfortunately made the blunder as well on a new Prime Alloy while setting the peep height. Just wanted to make "1" more adjustment but all 3 of my arrows were already in the target. Drew back to check the adjustment I just made and for some stupid reason I just continued with my "shot sequence." Broke the string but other than that the bow was ok.
i agree guys everyone makes mistakes weather it is in the heat of the excitement or just a foolish blunder. only 2 people don't make mistakes those who do nothing or those that are to afraid to admit it. why rag on another outdoorsman just be happy no one was hurt.

mack
Old 02-23-2018, 08:39 AM

I seen or heard too many dryfires to remember. The best was a guy who dru fired his bow 3 times in the same day at the same shoot.

It was a Bowtech Assasin, nothing happened to it whatsoever. Not even a string derail.

LC
Old 02-23-2018, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I seen or heard too many dryfires to remember. The best was a guy who dru fired his bow 3 times in the same day at the same shoot.

It was a Bowtech Assasin, nothing happened to it whatsoever. Not even a string derail.

LC
I have never been in any stressful competitions, there isn't a lot of rush or panic to drop that particular gopher or put a hole in paper. I understand the difference in situation for sure. Poor bugger, I bet he was a wreck end of the day.

Last edited by Ken07AOVette; 02-23-2018 at 09:48 AM.
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken07AOVette View Post
I have never been in any stressful competitions, there isn't a lot of rush or panic to drop that particular gopher or put a hole in paper. I understand the difference in situation for sure. Poor bugger, I bet he was a wreck end of the day.
We kind of joked that we should all go buy Bowtech Assasins because they are one tough freakin bow!

LC
Old 02-23-2018, 10:24 AM

If we are playing “have you ever seen” - I want to join in.
We had a small archery club that would meet in a local community hall once a week to shoot. In the short time I shot there I saw a dry fire, a guy accidentally shoot the halls piano, arrows ricochet off the ceiling and floor. It was a good time.

I happened to be next to the piano slayer when it happed. He was shooting one of those older launcher style rests and when he pulled back, the arrow fell between the rest and riser - I thought he saw it but aparantly not.

Ah good times....