Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-04-2009, 08:47 PM

Default Artic Grayling

I'm headed to the freeman river this sunday to hopefully catch my first grayling ever, but would like some tips as to what types of structure they like (pike like dropoffs, lakers like mid lake ups that sort of thing) I've heard they like rapids but would like some more info. Any tips on flies would be great. I've heard dries work great.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:05 PM

Look for classic trout water, pools, riffles, and eddies. Hopper and ant patterns, elk hair caddis, on top. pheasant tail, hares ear, and price nymphs down low.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 09-04-2009, 09:47 PM

In streams, fish for grayling like you would rainbows or cutthroat.

They like anything that looks like a bug. I prefer foam terrestrials for visibility in fast moving water. Don't go too big, they have a small mouth.

Old 09-07-2009, 10:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.goldeye View Post
I'm headed to the freeman river this sunday to hopefully catch my first grayling ever, but would like some tips as to what types of structure they like (pike like dropoffs, lakers like mid lake ups that sort of thing) I've heard they like rapids but would like some more info. Any tips on flies would be great. I've heard dries work great.
The best place for Grayling is Bear pond.Lot of fun and many fish
Old 09-07-2009, 11:36 PM
Banned

I've done most of my grayling fishing in the Yukon. I found that I caught all my biggest ones in the fast water just before a pool rather than in the pool itself. Not sure if this is typical grayling behavior or not. Maby someone more knowlegable than myself could tell me.
Old 09-08-2009, 08:40 AM

i find the quick water near pools and eddies are the most productive. grayling will bite almost anything as long as its small. the yukon has grayling in damn near every creek so was spoiled by that. best ever was the geike river in north sask as 3-4 pounders lurk there an thats huge. stony rapids was best for sheer numbers - literally hundreds in an hour or so- not big but lots.
grayling are great shore lunch but do not freeze well.
Old 09-09-2009, 06:35 AM

I 've got the itch to go out all so. Heading out to the Berland.
Whats the bigest Black nat hook size to go with.
Old 09-09-2009, 10:55 AM

up north on the narrowway, we have been using hoppers, they have been working with a floating line and I have had luck with a clouser but very small. best size this year is 18 in
Old 09-10-2009, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.goldeye View Post
this is a little late but most of the holding water on the freeman is in the runs, dont bother with the big pools they are usually dead stretches of water.