Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-17-2008, 10:38 PM

Default Arrrrggghhhh, some 'MOFO' stole my trailer plate !

Man,

WTF, is wrong with people today ? I had the boat in front of the house for a mere 5 HOURS before going early morning fishing. It was the first and LAST time I do that ! What a bummer....

I called the damn Registration place close to me and they said I have to pay another $110.00 freakin' Dollars ! What a rip.... !

Has anyone else had this happen to them and if so, does that sound right (having to pay all that money for another plate) ??
Man, am I ever P!ssed ! It seriously BUGS me that some JAG OFF is pulling his boat around using MY freakin' PLATE !

This time I'm grabbing the torch and I'm going to BRAZE the nuts to the bolts once the friggin' plate is on... This next plate will be a helluva lot harder to steal.....

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 08-18-2008, 01:53 AM

Man isnt that typical . God I love how the crimnals always seem to win . Its a complete joke how our judicial system deals with these punks. And your plate isnt probably on a boat probably on some stolen car or stolen trailer something like that . Man its discusting what people do. Why cant these losers grow up and get a job **** mcdicks pays 13 or 14 bucks an hr now.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:52 AM

That's bad luck about some one ripping off your plate, but don't let a registry office rip you off as well. It will "only" cost $22.45 to get a replacement plate for your trailer. Bring in a copy of your boat's registration papers and ask them for a "plate exchange" because your plate was stolen. You'll have to sign a declaration, but other than that, it's painless (other than the $22.45).
Old 08-18-2008, 07:07 AM

yah, like scott said; same thing just happened to me. on a side note, i transfered the plate from my 12' boat trailer to my new boat thinkin that i was going to sell the old one. after deciding that i would keep the smaller boat (for places like maligne and others where it's electric only) i went to re-register it (only a few months after changing it). now they want me to get the trailer inspected and have a new VIN assigned to it due to all of the trailer theft that is going on and the fact that all of the trailers made by this company seem to share the same VIN. since they do the inspections, they get MORE money again.
what a pain in the *****
cheers
Old 08-18-2008, 07:32 AM

Default Licence plate

Hey FC answer your mail ....I saw a trailer plate hangin on a fence in the sierra morenas SW on saturday .... near you ?
Old 08-18-2008, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott N View Post
That's bad luck about some one ripping off your plate, but don't let a registry office rip you off as well. It will "only" cost $22.45 to get a replacement plate for your trailer. Bring in a copy of your boat's registration papers and ask them for a "plate exchange" because your plate was stolen. You'll have to sign a declaration, but other than that, it's painless (other than the $22.45).
RIGHT YOU ARE !!

I called back the same registry office and they indeed said it would only be $22.45 ! That's a lot better than $110.00 Bucks ! Apparently they have a couple of new people and they said this 'mis-quoteing' does happen on occasion but that it would be caught once I showed up at the registry...

Either way,... Thanks SCOTT for the Heads Up regarding the 'Plate Exchange' thingy.. !! Gonna get my new plate and WELD it on today !

Cheers,

/FC....
Old 08-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winch101 View Post
Hey FC answer your mail ....I saw a trailer plate hangin on a fence in the sierra morenas SW on saturday .... near you ?
Crap !

I keep missing those... I'll PM ya today...

Wouldn't be me in the Sierra Morenas. I'm up in the NW part of town. Thanks for asking though.

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-18-2008, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seahawkfisher View Post
yah, like scott said; same thing just happened to me. on a side note, i transfered the plate from my 12' boat trailer to my new boat thinkin that i was going to sell the old one. after deciding that i would keep the smaller boat (for places like maligne and others where it's electric only) i went to re-register it (only a few months after changing it). now they want me to get the trailer inspected and have a new VIN assigned to it due to all of the trailer theft that is going on and the fact that all of the trailers made by this company seem to share the same VIN. since they do the inspections, they get MORE money again.
what a pain in the *****
cheers
Yeah I hear you there.... Can't possibly see the reason for re-registering the VIN# and a subsequent inspection when you were the last person to have had registration on the friggin' trailer... Doesn't make sense.

My trailer is 'plate steel' (75' Caulkins) and the VIN# is not visible ANYWHERE on the trailer (likely rusted off at one point). I've had a tag made for it with the make and VIN# that I initially registered and will be 'riveting' it to the trailer ASAP.
Old 08-18-2008, 04:16 PM

the problem is that back in the early 90's, when the trailer was made, the only number they stamped onto it was DL1000, the same number they put on all of their trailers. now they want a specific # for each trailer. heck, i still have the paperwork on it and that still isn't good enough...

talk about a cash cow
Old 08-18-2008, 10:43 PM

Quote:
the problem is that back in the early 90's, when the trailer was made, the only number they stamped onto it was DL1000, the same number they put on all of their trailers. now they want a specific # for each trailer. heck, i still have the paperwork on it and that still isn't good enough...

talk about a cash cow
Hey I know... !

Tell them you found it... It was, Uh... on the back of the trailer...and ah...you couldn't you know, Uh, see it at first. The Umm, serial is "20080816-SEAHWKFSHR" ! YEAH, YEAH,.... that's the ticket ! "

Heh, heh... I think the guy I bought it from made up his own... I'm not sure but I'm certain mine is not the one that came with it in 75' !!
Old 08-19-2008, 08:43 AM

In the past 16 months I have had a plate stolen from two boat trailors and my truck. All at different locations.
Old 08-19-2008, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
In the past 16 months I have had a plate stolen from two boat trailors and my truck. All at different locations.
Yikes.. !

That 'is' some bad luck....
Old 08-20-2008, 07:58 AM

Default Locking bolts

The stealing of plates from any vehicle is becoming a problem--apparently they are used on vehicles to fool video cameras while stealing fuel from service stations--according to a news story I heard. In the same story it was mentioned that special locking bolts are available to secure the plate. Anybody have experience with these? At least they would slow the thieves down.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:49 PM

Quote:

talk about a cash cow
I had to go through all this BS this summer for my boat trailer. It is homemade, and was never registered, so I had to get the guy to come out and put a VIN # on it so I can get a plate for it. I was told at the registers office that if the trailer had been registered before, it could be registered again without getting the VIN. Its kindof a pain in the ass, but all in all, it wasn't to bad to get done. I'm kinda glad I had to get it done, as it will make the trailer easier to identify if its ever stolen. Not only do they put a VIN tag on, they also stamp the trailer in 2 locations, one on the tongue, another underneath somewhere, so its good from a security standpoint. It costs $50 to have it done, but the guy came right to my house, and it is not an inspection of any kind. All he does is tag and stamp it, I think it took him all of 15 min to do it.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:53 PM

good to know
thx
cheers
Old 08-20-2008, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Meredith View Post
The stealing of plates from any vehicle is becoming a problem--apparently they are used on vehicles to fool video cameras while stealing fuel from service stations--according to a news story I heard. In the same story it was mentioned that special locking bolts are available to secure the plate. Anybody have experience with these? At least they would slow the thieves down.
I think 'really' securing most vehicle plates would be rather tough. Moreso because of their simple hanging systems and the fact that these are usually made from plastic. Also, these plates have to be 'somewhat accessible and more easily removable'.

Now a trailer is a different story....

I'd buy a longer bolt and strip them right to the nut once they're super tight. The only way they come off after that is with a saw or grinder and that would likely destroy half of the plate trying to get it off.

I've just purchased two 4" stainless steel bolts, 2 washers and 4 nuts.
One of the washers goes on the bolt, slides through the plate and trailer support and the second washer slides over the bolt with the two nuts after that... Everything gets put together nice and tight... (X2)

I then Braze the bolt head and washer together so NO tool will fit over it and do the same to 'both nuts' and washer on the other side. If they can get the plate off in one piece after that..... well, I suppose they've 'earned' it.

If you don't have the means for welding/brazing, I'd merely suggest using lot's of locktite and then stripping the threads of the left-over bolts with some vise grips. Once again, I'd do it right up close to the nut(s) in case the lock-tite doesn't hold....

Does it sound like a lot of work...? To some maybe,... but it sure beats getting pulled over by the RCMP only minutes from the lake cause' you didn't notice that your plate was missing...!!

Besides,... it's the "Principal of it all".... !!

Cheers,

/FC...
Old 08-21-2008, 04:52 PM

Never had plates stolen but weirdly enough I have had my reg sticker removed from my plate......several times ( and no it didnt come off as I first thought as there were scratch marks under the stcker )