Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 09-10-2016, 01:03 PM

Default Who is bored in Calgary and wants to catch some perch to eat?

Anyone?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-10-2016, 01:14 PM

me!
Old 09-10-2016, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stLand View Post
me!
Where are you located in Calgary?
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 09-10-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
me!
PM me your phone number
Old 09-10-2016, 02:35 PM

When?!
Old 09-10-2016, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Reel Deal View Post
When?!
Now?
Old 09-10-2016, 03:19 PM
Gone Hunting

I love perch but am too far away.

Are they still stunted? Is there a bag limit?

It isn't a question of who will allow me, but who will stop me.. Ayn Rand
Old 09-10-2016, 03:26 PM

aw man i wish i saw this earlier
Old 09-10-2016, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redfrog View Post
I love perch but am too far away.

Are they still stunted? Is there a bag limit?
Still stunted however I just caught 2 - 8 inchers and an 7 incher and s 6 incher.

Fat.

Need a couple guys right now to help me slay a mess. Problem is they are very easy to catch so catching 40-50/hr.
Old 09-10-2016, 04:09 PM

I can got out this evening also.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
I can got out this evening also.
Probably should do up a meet n' greet with some of the members down there. I bet a half dozen guys and their kids can put a dent in that lake for you guys. Not sure how many guests you can get into the gate at a time ..... but it will help the lake and could be a nice afternoon and social event.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:13 PM

are you gonna do this today only or are you available for tomorrow? i am free after 1pm ish tomorrow after my golf game.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:29 PM

SDF, I'm aware of your on going perch battle on the lake. Are you looking to fish them out or are you getting the nets out? Either way, I will give you a hand if I'm free in the evenings. I'm pretty close to your part of town.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmacisaac View Post
SDF, I'm aware of your on going perch battle on the lake. Are you looking to fish them out or are you getting the nets out? Either way, I will give you a hand if I'm free in the evenings. I'm pretty close to your part of town.
Angling. I can go out anytime tonight. PM me right away. Perch are biting.
Old 09-10-2016, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the local angler View Post
are you gonna do this today only or are you available for tomorrow? i am free after 1pm ish tomorrow after my golf game.
1 pm tomorrow works.
Old 09-10-2016, 07:12 PM

sweet i will text you after my golf game.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:58 AM

I'm a retired old timer and have no restrictions or schedules. I live ten minutes south of Calgary and would really enjoy a chance to get out with you. Can you e-mail me so we set a meet and greet ?
Thanks.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by retired2 View Post
I'm a retired old timer and have no restrictions or schedules. I live ten minutes south of Calgary and would really enjoy a chance to get out with you. Can you e-mail me so we set a meet and greet ?
Thanks.
Pm your phone number and I will call ya.
Old 09-11-2016, 08:55 PM

Quote:
sweet i will text you after my golf game.
Thanks for coming out. Ended up with a bunch after a slower than usual start. That cold wind and rain seemed to make them perch sleepy.
Old 09-11-2016, 09:44 PM

you're welcome sorry for the late arrival got lost lol. other than having reel issues with all of those birds nest one after another it was a good day. i now know what i need for next time. thanks for having me out

Last edited by the local angler; 09-11-2016 at 10:08 PM.
Old 09-12-2016, 12:03 AM

I wish more lakes and ponds were stocked with perch so everyone could fish for them. They thrive in tough conditions that other fish can't handle, and are the perfect fish for introducing kids to fishing since perch action is often non-stop so can hold a kid's limited attention span. Plus perch make a great pan fry!
Old 09-12-2016, 04:46 PM

Quote:
you're welcome sorry for the late arrival got lost lol. other than having reel issues with all of those birds nest one after another it was a good day. i now know what i need for next time. thanks for having me out
Those seagulls dive bombing out perch were hilarious. Never saw that before.
Old 09-12-2016, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isopod View Post
I wish more lakes and ponds were stocked with perch so everyone could fish for them. They thrive in tough conditions that other fish can't handle, and are the perfect fish for introducing kids to fishing since perch action is often non-stop so can hold a kid's limited attention span. Plus perch make a great pan fry!
You forget they over populate and stunt. Most people don't want a mess of 5 inch perch.

Hence they destroy trout fisheries.

A well managed trout lake provide far more enjoyment than a destroyed trout lake.

From years of experience. People get tired quickly of tiny perch.

Now if you could find a lake that can't support trout then you have a point.

I would love to provide a hundred to two hundred thousand perch a year to stock Calgary storm water ponds with perch to catch. Since storm ponds winter kill trout would be a waste.
Old 09-12-2016, 05:46 PM

ya i had my drift hd camera with me but forgot otherwise i would have tried to film the dive bombing seagulls. whats funny is i was more worried about them dropping bombs on us circling above our heads. for myself i am a pan fish guy so even the tiniest of perch doesn't bother me. just ask my buddy terry he's catching the big fish and i'm all set up catching even the tiniest of minnows just for the fun of it. i just love the fast and constant action. if i ever won the lottery i would make lake sundance my retirement home. lol
Old 09-12-2016, 09:38 PM

Quote:
ya i had my drift hd camera with me but forgot otherwise i would have tried to film the dive bombing seagulls. whats funny is i was more worried about them dropping bombs on us circling above our heads. for myself i am a pan fish guy so even the tiniest of perch doesn't bother me. just ask my buddy terry he's catching the big fish and i'm all set up catching even the tiniest of minnows just for the fun of it. i just love the fast and constant action. if i ever won the lottery i would make lake sundance my retirement home. lol
I just fished for 30 minutes caught 30 perch. A number of doubles.
Old 09-12-2016, 10:28 PM

awsome man i am still trying to find and locate alot of my gear to get ready for round #2.
Old 09-13-2016, 10:31 AM

Quote:
I just fished for 30 minutes caught 30 perch. A number of doubles.
Fishing from a boat or shore? I live in Copperfield. Would love to hammer some perch. My schedule is open
Old 09-13-2016, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Fishing from a boat or shore? I live in Copperfield. Would love to hammer some perch. My schedule is open
How about tonight? Say 6 pm ish to 8 pm ish? Should be good to catch about a hundred if we want.
Old 09-13-2016, 01:23 PM

Quote:
How about tonight? Say 6 pm ish to 8 pm ish? Should be good to catch about a hundred if we want.
Sounds good. I can't send you a PM as you don't have enough storage space left.
Feel free to send me a PM and I can forward you my contact info
Old 09-13-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Sounds good. I can't send you a PM as you don't have enough storage space left.
Feel free to send me a PM and I can forward you my contact info
PM should work now.