Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-11-2009, 04:24 PM

Default Antelope hunting Medicine Hat area

I got drawn for trophy antelope around the Medicine Hat and Suffield area from the 19th to the 25th of Oct. I was wondering is there any public land in that area that a person could access? If anyone one has any info they could share it would be much appreciated.
Old 10-11-2009, 05:28 PM

Default permission

Just ask,lots of people give permission around there plus you got 4 wmu's to hunt in.thats a good tag you got,I apply in the same area.Go south of seven persons towards manyberries,you'll find something good bucks down that road!
Old 10-11-2009, 08:24 PM

Misty,
I was also lucky enough to get drawn down in 102/118 and will heading out early Saturday for some scouting. I have not had a chance to go down there yet but a few of my contacts have given me permission over the phone but I
will be stopping in to see them prior to hunting thier properties. Most are just from contacts made on this board and a lot of good advice around here. Good luck,
Brian
Old 10-11-2009, 09:25 PM

Yesterday I hunted all day on he north side of Suffield. I saw 1 single mule deer. Lots of good habitat for lopers but zippo. I had a doe tag. Four years of waiting, I'll pick another zone next time.
Hope you have better luck.
Old 10-11-2009, 09:57 PM

Coming back from Calgary lots in the last couple months and have seen quite a few lopes between Suffield and Tilley.
Took the south boundary road of the base from Suffield to north of Medicine Hat(ends up on Box Springs Road) last Saturday and saw several pretty nice ones hanging out right on the fence/boundary.
Who knows if they are crossing or not.......
Old 10-11-2009, 10:10 PM

dont get caught up the the public land mentality. Most guys will give permission if you ask. I can't figure out why so many people avoid private land like it has the plague. Lots of lease land in that area. check the SRD website for lease access information. They have a new interactive map. All you do is zoom into the area you plan to hunt and click on the different leases. It gives you the name/contact number/ general rules right then and there. I used it last night to gain some access on some private/leased land. Anyone I had talked to said not to bother as they don't give permission. One call and I have a few prime hay fields to take the wife hunting on.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:12 PM

http://www.srd.gov.ab.ca/lands/using...land/maps.aspx

here ya go for the leased land.
Old 10-11-2009, 10:48 PM

Use to hunt down there years ago and the farmers/ranchers were very good letting a guy on, most welcomed with open arms as the lopes are eating their livestocks grass, so they wanted to see some gone.
Old 10-12-2009, 08:22 AM

Thanks for your help everyone, especially you mulecrazy for sending the SRD link. Really looking forward to this hunt.