Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-04-2011, 10:00 PM

Default Wholesale Sports Never Again

So I went into wholesale sports today to buy a new fly rod. Boy I am never, ever going to do that again. It was a struggle.... The guy had no idea what he was doing. He was so useless. Wow! -Is all I have to say. I'm Going to go to the fishin hole instead and try my luck there. Every time I go there, there seems to be some wise old man that knows everything about fly fishing. So that should be my best bet. If they don't have what I need, then its a long trip to Bass Pro or to wait a month untill Cabela's opens up. Unless someone has what I need...? I'm looking for a 5 or 6 wt fly rod for a price under $100. Pm me if you have anything?
Old 07-04-2011, 10:14 PM

ya i know the feelin i was there the other day looken for a new baitcaster the girl behind the counter had no idea what she was talken about first of all and the reel i wanted they didnt have in stock so i asked if they coud order me one in she didnt know she would have to talk to her manager the next day so she took down my name and number and promised to call me back still havent heard back from her that was 3 days ago. this wasnt my first bad experience with them needless to say i highly dout i will be goin back there again! sure hope i can return that gift certificate have form them.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:16 PM

I've always had pretty good service there but it all depends on who you get while your there, right? Just because the service you got from that on individual was sub par does not mean that the whole store is all sub par.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:24 PM

sub par? ah no triple boagie...
Old 07-04-2011, 10:25 PM

I like to shop where the service is good, even if the deals are not as good as a junk place but if I ever have service that bad, I save it for the manager. I would be calling them in an instant and letting them know what happened. In the past I have seen some people fired but most often the manager sends a pretty good discount certificate to get you to come back at least one more time. Who knows, you might get an additional 25-30 % off.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:48 PM

WSS is a fine establishment.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:54 PM

try the reel doctor on 51st i just got a new bait caster and quantum energy rod for 80 cheaper then the fishn hole and wss
Old 07-04-2011, 11:01 PM

Depends which store, at least that is my experience. I've had great service and knowledge at the West End store.

South side store in South Edm Common:

Went there 5 weeks ago to check out their bow mount electrics. Looking for a MinnKota with iPilot installed. Stopped a young guy behind the reel counter. Explained what I was looking for. Took me over and showed me their great selection (like 3...) Enduras....Endura is a transom mount...also none where close to 80 lbs thrust which I also asked for. After a minute of uncomfortable silence I explained to the young gentleman the configuration and what and how a bow mount works. I then said the majic word "Terova" to which he kind of lighted up and said "I think I saw a box in the back with that on it...I'll be back".

10 minutes later he emerged but looked more confused than ever. He called his supervisor. Supervisor shows up. After he explains what I'm looking for she just looks at both of us with a blank face. She then explains to me that she was just transferred to the fishing department but really does not know much about fishing...and she is the appointed manager??? I watch for the next 5 minutes as they both run around to try to find out something. They even eventually get onto the MinnKota web site and quote back to me what I'm looking for. Not a bad thing but not a great use of my time. I left.

Went to the Fishing Hole South side 4 days later. They had everything ordered and available to me in 3 days. Of course, knew exactly what I was looking for and asked me more questions about the exact specification I was looking for. Complete 180 in customer and delivery experience. There are some great people working for the Fishing hole.

Cheers!
Old 07-04-2011, 11:02 PM

I just love how people come on here and complain about service in a store but never, ever tell management. Or they never consider that the person who helped them may be new at the job.