Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-09-2012, 07:00 PM

Default Why a test should be necessary to get a license... if they even have one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qkGMwUro3Qw

found this on youtube today... I'm surprised these people could navigate a marked path with minds like this... I'm 100% sure that fish died.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:24 PM

oooooh, how dare you criticize!?!
A democracy cannot exist as a permanent form of government. It can only exist until the voters discover that they can vote themselves money from the public treasure. From that moment on the majority always votes for the candidates promising the most money from the public treasury, with the result that a democracy always collapses over loose fiscal policy followed by a dictatorship.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:54 PM

personally, a fish that size, or any fish, you don't need to shove your fingers through their gills to hold the fish, and remove the hook. that fish was bleeding ALOT, and I highly doubt from the hook.. the guy is 'carefully' placing his finger through the gills causing as MUCH damage as you basicly could!
Old 05-09-2012, 08:59 PM

He should have his fishing license revoked!!! I HATE when people handle fish poorly like that!!
Old 05-09-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NUK SOO KOW View Post
He should have his fishing license revoked!!! I HATE when people handle fish poorly like that!!
I'd agree with the post on youtube - i bet his hook isn't de-barbed either with how much trouble he was having... it didn't look like it was deep at all.
Old 05-09-2012, 09:19 PM

I absolutely hate watching bulls**t like that, completely pathetic if you ask me!
Old 05-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Banned

Knowing what to do doesn't mean you'll do it.

I recall some bull trout being held aloft for the camera by the gill plate this past winter.
Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 PM
Banned

How do you feel about body slamming a big spawning hen in order to get some pics?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:24 PM

I watched that video too BG... thats why i said it was interesting.. I try and remove the hook, admire for less than 30 seconds, and give it a proper release. Thats just me though, we all have our own ways of doing things.

In this video however, I'd guess that the hook was barbed (Yes, I assume that based on how hard he was trying to yank it out) and the person clearly gave the fish what looks like a mortal wound to the gills.

I believe you are talking about the brown trout vid that was posted earlier BG?
Old 05-09-2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGuy View Post
Knowing what to do doesn't mean you'll do it.

I recall some bull trout being held aloft for the camera by the gill plate this past winter.

hahhahhahahhaahah...yup and im proud to say in that case we had every reason to extract the way we did, is it the best situation? .....no... but it beats a fish being released with lock jaw. So get over it or at least keep posting you bullchit expert knowledge on tackle which we know you dont have the backbone / spine to post anything true.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:38 PM
Banned

Yeah, its pretty brutal.

This is part of the problem though. It's not always easy to land, back massage, remove hook, and release.

In your vid, he probably had a barbed treble which was obviously pretty deep. I mean, what do you do in that circumstance? There is no easy way to secure a flopping fish while trying to preform surgery to get the hook out.

The obvious solution (to me) is to use a single barbless hook, however not everyone agrees that this reduces mortality, and you are not always required to do so. Like in the National Parks for example.

Personally though, I really don't care what I see in pics or videos. I just want to see the fish.

Funny, I had seen that vid before and I never thought about his fish handling, never dawned on me. It's kinda sad to see of course, but with a deep barbed treble I probably would have made that fish bleed too.

All my spinners have the trebles cut off and a split ring and an octopus on there instead. but whatev

I like fishinmmmmkay
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
hahhahhahahhaahah...yup and im proud to say in that case we had every reason to extract the way we did, is it the best situation? .....no... but it beats a fish being released with lock jaw.
Yup, totally agree with you on that.

Sometimes fish get hooked bad and there is no easy way around getting it out.

Sucks, but if you fish, it happens. especially with trebles.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 PM

Hemostats are your friend.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
Hemostats are your friend.
Hemostats are great for barbless, but I find they don't have enough backbone for larger, barbed hooks. Maybe I just need a bigger pair.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Hemostats are great for barbless, but I find they don't have enough backbone for larger, barbed hooks. Maybe I just need a bigger pair.
I find medical-grade locking hemostats are more than sufficient, that being said I don't believe I've ever used a barbed hook.
Old 05-09-2012, 11:59 PM

This not a backhand to the OP, but a address to everyone who believes we need changes

AO cannot make fisheries changes, maybe rally support at best. Yes typing a post is easy to do but really it accomplishes nothing for changing a possible problem you see in a fisheries management issue. In this case qualifying for a license.

You must take the time to attend a fisheries meeting and present your case in a factual manner. Then proceed to write emails to the person who can represent your case. Its a long and hard process but if your concerned and feel strongly enough it will be worth it.

It confusses me and to some degree saddens me when i see hundreds of complaints or suggestions on AO with recomeendations for fisheries changes and then attend a fisheries meeting with 7 people in attendance.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:04 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Noel View Post
I find medical-grade locking hemostats are more than sufficient, that being said I don't believe I've ever used a barbed hook.
I think I need a pair like this:

BTW, don't ever google image hemostat, it's horrifying.

Funny, I'm not sure if there was such a thing as a barbless hook in the 80's.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:06 AM
Banned

Quote:
Nah, thats when its time to break out the oxy-acetalien cutting torch, and if that doesn't cut it, grab the plasma cutter!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReconWilly View Post
Nah, thats when its time to break out the oxy-acetalien cutting torch, and if that doesn't cut it, grab the plasma cutter!!
Make sure to add a splash of soy sauce before you put the torch to it.
Old 05-10-2012, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Make sure to add a splash of soy sauce before you put the torch to it.
Substitute soy for worcestershire!!
Old 05-10-2012, 12:26 PM

Lol there was nothing wrong with getting that hook out i for one wont cut a hook for a fish.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:08 PM

crosby - what was wrong with it isn't getting the hook out... its impaling the fish by its gills with the fingers. The barbed hook wouldn't have mortally wounded a fish, losing its gills will.