Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-23-2014, 07:39 AM

Default Wholesale Sports Loss / Fishin' Hole Gain

Past 2 days i've called Wholesale Sports Calgary looking to spend about $800 on a couple things while I drive between sales calls. Been on hold for 20+ minutes each call, even after telling the person who answered that nobody ever picks up. 4 Times yesterday - final call at 6pm - person who answered said, "oh don't worry its dead here" - nobody ever picked up. Very frustrating - but its obvious they have no clue about customer service or maybe they are so busy in January they have no time to answer the phone - NOT.

Called over to the Fishin' Hole at 6:30 - spoke to a guy who said "I'll have to turn the lights on to see if we have stock" - They were closed - They have the products - and they will have the sale at noon today.

Customer Service 101.
Old 01-23-2014, 07:42 AM

I've had the same experience with wss. They don't get any money from me any more.
Old 01-23-2014, 08:38 AM

I went in to TFH on Friday after a day out on the ice losing my new lucky hook. Picked it up on Boxing Day at bass pro just to try out and it just worked wonders for the pike and walleye.

Went to TFH as it was on the way back in to the city and unfortunately they didn't have it, but the gentleman there spent 15-20 minutes trying to help me find it, or a suitable alternative. Ended up spending $50 on stuff I wasn't planning on buying due to the great service.

Still had to go back to bass pro for that hook tho. It's called a HexWobbler jigging spoon and the silver and pink variety.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:22 AM

TFH Rules, those guys are awesome.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:46 AM

The service is usually not that great at any big box store. They hire a large number of employees and because of this to keep the cost down most will be whoever is willing to show up and work cheap. They have a large verity in products instead of specializing in just fishing.

With a smaller store they need less employees and most often have a lower running cost. They also specialize in 1 maybe 2 things. This makes it easier to hire good staff.

For good service smaller speciality stores are usually better

If you know what you need and don't need help it is easy to run in and out of a big box store.

It is what it is
Old 01-23-2014, 11:28 AM

The Fishin' Hole is the best .......... the Edmonton 91st St Location is very well managed (Kevin) and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable - except the hippie.

I spend a ton of money in there and always shop there first - Cabela's is close to my place - so they get some business occasionally but nobody has a clue in there.

Wholesale has great selection, probably best in town - but the customer service isn't on the same level as the TFH.

Prices seem to be in align in all three stores for the most part.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:44 AM

wholesale north never seems to have any real stock of fly material. im there a lot and rarely see anyone at the counter and the floor guys have no idea where anything would be
Old 01-23-2014, 11:54 AM

Default Tfh

I have been to all the stores mentioned above and I find TFH on 91 & 51 ave. in Edmonton is hands down the best place to shop. All the staff (a) knows what they're talking about through experience (b) are very friendly (c) tells me they price match (d) has stock or actually knows when it's coming in. You just can't beat TFH. No I don't work there either. I just appreciate great service that's all. Even ' the Hippie ' lol.
Old 01-23-2014, 12:03 PM

Also have had similar experience's with WSS, went in for some ammunition, told them what I wanted the kid scratches his head and said
"Im pretty sure we don't carry that brand, sorry"
so I replied "Can you go look? Because its 2 feet from you"
-My problem is that he wasn't even going to search for it with his eyes or in the computer

Fish of 2014-

Yellow Perch-22
Lake Whitefish-7
Pike-19
Walleye-63
Burbot-7
Old 01-23-2014, 12:33 PM

I love shopping at TFH @ calgary, their customer service is unbeatable!
Old 01-23-2014, 12:58 PM

Default hahaha.... the hippie

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
The Fishin' Hole is the best .......... the Edmonton 91st St Location is very well managed (Kevin) and the staff are friendly and knowledgeable - except the hippie..
LOL, bang on! always get great service there and drive out of my way to give them my business

Kirby
Old 01-23-2014, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by automated4by4 View Post
X2.

The best place to get any kind of fishing gear in Calgary hands down.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:58 PM

I've had 3 times in three past month where I've gone to WSS for bait and they're out. No problem, it happens...except then the brew up a BS story about how there's a shortage of maggots and no one has any....yeah, maggots, the new endangered species... Call TFH, Yup they've got lots. so i drive there for great service, excellent advice and the elusive maggots.
Went to WSS this week because my pal tried to buy a marcum camera but came home with an Aquaview. He was told you can't get a Marcum for Lees than $479. The kid at WSS argued with me that there were none for less than $479 till i demanded he check their Web site...what do you know? VS385 - $379 and 5 in stock...
I'll be buying mine at TFH.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:45 PM

Good example of the best service ive gotten at WSS North

Today I went in to buy an ice rod for lakers/pike.. I asked to see his selection, he says to me "well we don't have the best selection, better check out The Fishing Hole west "

LOL LOL

So I went to TFH and spent another 200$ on a reel ( Abu ambassador C4 Baitcast ) and a new rod for 30$ ......... Oh well, looks like WSS loss is truly a TFH Gain !

Best help ive had from them !

Complete Joke lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G-1cB...ature=youtu.be
Old 01-23-2014, 04:18 PM

Coming from a Guy that use to work at a big box store (not sporting goods). It is really annoying when people call in to ask questions about stock and product. We want to talk to you.

Have you ever been that customer standing there for 20 minutes while the sales guy talks to a person on the phone because he is too lazy to come to the store?

Usually if a customer is at your store they are going to buy... customer's over the phone are a long shot... if it was your store who would you tell your sales guys to devote their time too? the guy that is standing infront of you with cash in hand or the guy sitting at home arm chair shopping for the absolute lowest price?

IMHO of course.
Old 01-23-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
i love shopping at tfh @ calgary, their customer service is unbeatable!
Old 01-23-2014, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Sounds like most Fishing Hole Locations !

Old 01-23-2014, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post
Coming from a Guy that use to work at a big box store (not sporting goods). It is really annoying when people call in to ask questions about stock and product. We want to talk to you.

Have you ever been that customer standing there for 20 minutes while the sales guy talks to a person on the phone because he is too lazy to come to the store?

Usually if a customer is at your store they are going to buy... customer's over the phone are a long shot... if it was your store who would you tell your sales guys to devote their time too? the guy that is standing infront of you with cash in hand or the guy sitting at home arm chair shopping for the absolute lowest price?

IMHO of course.
You said it better than I could have.
Unless I live 3 hours out of town there is no way I would call to just find out.
Now I'm sure that in some industries, say farm equipment supplies where ppl are driving in several hours, the companies are probably aware of the circumstances.

A friend of mine has a bike and board repair and service shop here in Sherwood.
He gets some dumb phone calls.
Often it's "I'll be there by five, please wait for me".

If I'm standing in line waiting to pay or wandering down the aisle, you bet your butt I want the service over chatty Charlie on the phone.

Either get busy living, or get busy dying!
Old 01-23-2014, 05:02 PM

I have contacted the President of UFA.
We will see what he has to say!

Old 01-23-2014, 05:18 PM

the only place i call is BPS cuz its so far from my place in SoCal, and its brutal calling that store.
WSS i just go to and get good service.
TFH is great too, but not convenient for me like BPS.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon View Post

IMHO of course.
Very well said and nailed it!

made in Alberta__ born n raised.

FS-Tinfool hats by the roll.
Old 01-23-2014, 05:55 PM

I have found the WSS in Lethbridge has gone down hill lately. I'm not sure if some of the staff in the fishing department even fish. I had them asking me questions about my flasher. Just last week I went in to look to see if they stock the new Rapala hooks and after looking for 15-20 minutes I asked the guy behind the counter. The first thing he does was went to their own website and searched on Rapala so I could see what they had. He basically said if we have it on here we either have it or can bring it in for you. While I was in Edmonton this week I stopped by there and they had what I wanted and I dropped another 250$ on other things I probably didn't really need.

We need better options in Lethbridge.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM

Driving for an hour without knowing if they have stock of an $800 item seems unreasonable to me. A simple phone call and confirmation = easy sale.

Thank you to TFH! Going out tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2014, 06:02 PM

I pump TFH's tires on a daily basis - I usually go to TFH west and love it there!
Old 01-23-2014, 06:55 PM

[QUOTE=drhook;2295624]I have found the WSS in Lethbridge has gone down hill lately. I'm not sure if some of the staff in the fishing department even fish. I had them asking me questions about my flasher. Just last week I went in to look to see if they stock the new Rapala hooks and after looking for 15-20 minutes I asked the guy behind the counter. The first thing he does was went to their own website and searched on Rapala so I could see what they had. He basically said if we have it on here we either have it or can bring it in for you. While I was in Edmonton this week I stopped by there and they had what I wanted and I dropped another 250$ on other things I probably didn't really need.

We need better options in Lethbridge.[/QUOTE

Same I've noticed the customer service has gotten worse lately
Old 01-23-2014, 07:01 PM

[QUOTE=Skshunter19;2295709]
Quote:
Originally Posted by drhook View Post
I have found the WSS in Lethbridge has gone down hill lately. I'm not sure if some of the staff in the fishing department even fish. I had them asking me questions about my flasher. Just last week I went in to look to see if they stock the new Rapala hooks and after looking for 15-20 minutes I asked the guy behind the counter. The first thing he does was went to their own website and searched on Rapala so I could see what they had. He basically said if we have it on here we either have it or can bring it in for you. While I was in Edmonton this week I stopped by there and they had what I wanted and I dropped another 250$ on other things I probably didn't really need.

We need better options in Lethbridge.[/QUOTE

Same I've noticed the customer service has gotten worse lately
I've been waiting for something since before christmas .first it was coming from calgary then kamloops then winterpeg .. I got it from cabellas instead in 6 business days
Old 01-23-2014, 09:08 PM

lol ...... Don't get me wrong about the hippie - chances are I've been on the forum and researching stuff on the internet while I should be doing work ....... so if I'm asking a question it's probably a tougher one to answer. He's probably more than knowledgeable enough for most weekend warriors.

He is friendly - as all hippies are - but you gotta know what frabill reel tape is, or know what a propane adapter is actually used for.

The Fishin' Hole is the only sticker going on my boat ........ lol ...... as far as retailers go ....

They have a great thing going for them and I hope they reap the rewards of running a good business covering off the more important elements (at least 2 of 3) of the customer's needs ......... price and service .....

The only opportunity for improvement might still be selection ..... Selection of terminal tackle could be better, but they have been listening and bringing in better brands, and better selections of terminal tackle ........ case in point .......... a true attempt at satisfying a customer.

They will always get first crack at my hard earned money.
Old 01-23-2014, 09:39 PM

Wink

IMO the south side fishing hole is my favorite. Staff is excellent except the one new fellow with long hair. Kinda enjoying unlike any of the other employees that have been there for years. All in all best place for fresh bait and most reliable for having it. Wholesale has been the worst place for me and Cabelas being in the middle. Usually end up at Cabelas seen as it's on my way out of the city usually. I only go to fishing hole when in the area or heading to the river they know my wife and son very well @TFH which will never happen at the other two stores. WSS is great too
Old 01-23-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EZM View Post
lol ...... Don't get me wrong about the hippie - chances are I've been on the forum and researching stuff on the internet while I should be doing work ....... so if I'm asking a question it's probably a tougher one to answer. He's probably more than knowledgeable enough for most weekend warriors.

He is friendly - as all hippies are - but you gotta know what frabill reel tape is, or know what a propane adapter is actually used for.

The Fishin' Hole is the only sticker going on my boat ........ lol ...... as far as retailers go ....

They have a great thing going for them and I hope they reap the rewards of running a good business covering off the more important elements (at least 2 of 3) of the customer's needs ......... price and service .....

The only opportunity for improvement might still be selection ..... Selection of terminal tackle could be better, but they have been listening and bringing in better brands, and better selections of terminal tackle ........ case in point .......... a true attempt at satisfying a customer.

They will always get first crack at my hard earned money.

X 2 bigtime about TFH

Old 01-23-2014, 10:49 PM
Banned

Wholesale sports after being bought by UFA is the crappiest outdoor store out there. They should rename the stores across Canada to NO SALE SPORTS. They let go all the guys that have a clue go and hire dumb kids that know nothing and are to busy playing on there phone to answer the phone or talk to you when you are in the store. Sure miss calling Russel sports and a few other small stores from back in the day.