Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-14-2010, 08:18 PM

Default Wholesale Sports South Edmonton

What does everyone think about the new Wholesale Sports South Edmonton after its been in operation for about a year now? I have always had good luck in there especially with the fishing department. They have always been eager to help and I find them quite Knowledgeable. Just curious as to everyones opinions and experiences with them.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:30 PM

I would agree, yet to have a single bad experience there since I stopped shopping at TFH, due to the horrible customer service at the WEM store.

I think it's a good setup, can go in there to get what I need and get out. Eager staff willing to help out, some very knowledgeable others are learning but friendly.

I personally like the store and think they have a good thing going.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:33 PM
lemmotlow

Norm in flyfishing is simply the best, no bs a reel pro.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemmotlow View Post
Norm in flyfishing is simply the best, no bs a reel pro.
You've got that right~!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:37 PM

Old 12-14-2010, 08:38 PM

I like the size of the fishing department...But when i was there i had asked the guy who worked there where the pike rigs and tip ups were...He had no clue...He had never even heard of a pike rig before...If your going to hire people, make sure they have some sort of clue what people will be looking for and where to find things...I will continue to shop at the South side fishing hole.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:47 PM

better than the one on the north side thats for sure!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:53 PM

Wink

I really dont care for either WSS, and am looking forward to Cabelas.... but not going to have high hope for customer service etc etc there either.

For The hunting and shooting side of things i prefer P&D, Bashaw, and The Fishing Center. For fishing, I know enough for what I want and can go anywhere without needing help

If you can believe it................I actually miss the OLD....WSS, when it was on yellowhead and 97st :P

Old 12-14-2010, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 780sjc View Post
What does everyone think about the new Wholesale Sports South Edmonton after its been in operation for about a year now? I have always had good luck in there especially with the fishing department. They have always been eager to help and I find them quite Knowledgeable. Just curious as to everyones opinions and experiences with them.
Although I run across the occasional helpful employee at the St Albert Tr store I would take the south-side store hands down.

Even living in St Albert I will often drive to the south-side one.
Old 12-14-2010, 08:59 PM

I like the one on the northside better, i think theyve got a better selection of the little things you need, most recent example being spinner blades for quick strike rigs. Both have an awesome selection, it's hard to complain about a rapala aisle almost as big as the wem fishing hole. WEM fishing hole ahs some new staff that's made a difference, but i agree with anvil theyve had such brutal staff in the past that its hard to go back there for anything unless i need bait badly
Old 12-14-2010, 09:01 PM
Banned

That is a big chain store .... Most are pretty good, in fact they are a lot like Costco, if you've been in one well.... The new one in GP is a gooder
Old 12-14-2010, 09:08 PM

cant wait for cabelas to come so that wss will start price matching. bought the showdown icetroller they would not mach bps or cabelas or tfh. but the customer service emploies at wss said they will start when the cabelas opens..
Old 12-14-2010, 09:21 PM

The new Cabelas is going to put every fishing store to shame. They will also have the best prices on everything. The customer's will benifit in a big way.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:26 PM

Location: 3rd rock from the sun, formerly from 4th rock from the sun
Smile

Haven't been to the Southside store yet but the North one has been pretty good to me so far.
Old 12-14-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

i agree about the post saying don'y really care about wss they better all pull up there big boypants when cabelas gets here or they will all be in trouble
Old 12-14-2010, 10:00 PM

I like the South WSS if I'm going in there for something specific that I need. They do have a huge fishing section with a great selection.

If I need any sort of customer service in the fishing section however, forget it.

As a sidenote, the North store has more cute girls working there than the South store

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 12-14-2010, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
As a sidenote, the North store has more cute girls working there than the South store
I do agree with this statment. Sometimes just go for the lookin.
Old 12-14-2010, 10:53 PM

They might have some cute girls employed there, but I have yet to see them do any work.
Old 12-14-2010, 11:32 PM

I've been to WSS on the southside, big store, lots to look at, but i too found their prices a little steep. Now, I haven't heard yet about Cabelas coming to Edmonton, when and where, please!!!!??? South Common?
Old 12-14-2010, 11:34 PM

Default The Best

I think it is the Best Fishing store in edmonton
Old 12-14-2010, 11:39 PM

Default Found it

i found the info on Cabelas site.

"Cabela's expects to open the Edmonton store in fall of 2011. The 70,000-square-foot building will be located in the new Currents of Windermere shopping development on Windermere Boulevard, between Terwillegar Drive and Anthony Henday Drive."
Old 12-15-2010, 12:35 AM

All I will want for xmas, birthdays, anniversaries etc etc is Cabelas Gift cards....Ahhhhh!

Last edited by Alberta Bigbore; 12-15-2010 at 01:01 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 12:41 AM
Banned

I live very close to northend store drive by it 3-4 times a week but still shop a lot at southside better lay out easier to find stuff
Old 12-15-2010, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren77 View Post
The new Cabelas is going to put every fishing store to shame. They will also have the best prices on everything. The customer's will benifit in a big way.
There is only one problem I have with cabelas. I purchase alot if merchandise through them online but always buy it from the states because their prices are alot cheaper even with the shipping charges. We will have to see how the prices are when they finally open.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:11 AM

Since the opening of the new south side location of Wholesale sports, I have been in approx a dozen times if not more. I have always found their staff to be helpful (if not always the most knowledgeable) and the layout of the store to be well thought out. of course many of their staff do not hunt or fish I am sure, just as many of the sales staff in any retail store may not do whatever they sell the tools/accessories for, but there is usually a manger or someone around that if they do not have the knowledge, they can call over for assistance, at least in my experiences. I would say that this location is a huge step forward for them and will garner them more customers........... maybe even bring back a few lost due to the north stores lack of customer service. Now just wait until Cabelas opens and their pricing gets brought in line!!
Old 12-15-2010, 11:35 AM

Really? Like most are saying ive had great service in there even if some arent the most knowledgeable. Always polite and eager to help I find.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:42 PM

My driveway had more knowledge then the guy working there...Where are your pike rigs?....What's a pike rig he says lol lol lol...like seriously,get a new job.
Old 12-16-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warren77 View Post
My driveway had more knowledge then the guy working there...Where are your pike rigs?....What's a pike rig he says lol lol lol...like seriously,get a new job.
from a manager's point of view, if they show up, put an effort in and don't bring any illegal or bad habits with them... you can teach them product knowledge.

I worked at home depot for 5 yrs and someone would always stump me with something I didn't know we carried... or perhaps they knwo it as another name...

most of us go to these stores knowing exactly what we want having done our homework on more expensive items. so as long as the line up isn't long at the register I'm happy