Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 11:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nube View Post
Well I sold 2 more beaver for $3 a piece Got $6 for one and $7 for another. My best beaver got $18 I think it was. Might as well toss them in the bait bucket next time What a waste of my time. At least I got a nice picture with my beavers done up lol
Nube...not sure what to make of this post. Sure beaver prices are not great, but the better quality, and well put up beavers are still demanding great prices. The smaller, early or late caught beavers will reflect that in price. If one were to take the time and trap under ice, or very early spring beaver (1st week), you can still expect to average $25 or more (all sizes included). Castor is as high as I have ever seen it, throw in $10-15 for carcasses and you are averaging in excess of $40-50 a beaver. Pretty good in my books. Trap them, and just toss them in the bait bucket....you are breaking the law. Find someone to buy them off of, please don't waste a good fur bearer.

Spruce
Old 01-31-2015, 01:00 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Castor is as high as I have ever seen it,.....
Where do you find the prices for castoreum? I have some in this auction and it doesn't show anywhere.
Old 01-31-2015, 01:04 PM

I guess they decided to pull my rats out for the auction after they told me they were pushed back till march. I ended up with a 4.35 avg on 272 rats that's still better then unsold
Old 01-31-2015, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
Nube...not sure what to make of this post. Sure beaver prices are not great, but the better quality, and well put up beavers are still demanding great prices. The smaller, early or late caught beavers will reflect that in price. If one were to take the time and trap under ice, or very early spring beaver (1st week), you can still expect to average $25 or more (all sizes included). Castor is as high as I have ever seen it, throw in $10-15 for carcasses and you are averaging in excess of $40-50 a beaver. Pretty good in my books. Trap them, and just toss them in the bait bucket....you are breaking the law. Find someone to buy them off of, please don't waste a good fur bearer.

Spruce
Spruce yes I know it is illegal to toss them in a bucket. It is just frustrating to spend a huge amount of time on a beaver and get $3 for it. I have never sold any castor yet. They are all siting in my freezer from the last year and a half. Carcasses are great prices but I also need most of them for bait. I have tried to catch beaver under ice and to me it is a ton of work and I am still new at it and my catch numbers this way is not real high. Sorry for being a Debbie Downer but I feel bent over for the price I got on the beaver that sold.
Old 01-31-2015, 03:39 PM

I just found out I had 211 rats on sale that showed up all of a sudden. It was a surprise to me. I got $5.27 average so I can't complain. Too bad I didn't ell them last spring when the price was higher but I can live with $5.27