Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-05-2018, 12:33 PM

Default Ironwood/Rich lake info

Spending a few days at Fork Lake but thinking of hitting up Ironwood. Haven't seen too many reports in the last few years just seeing if anyone has info.....and howser the boat launch there? Same for Rich lake....I know it dried up years ago but the water level has been better for a few years. I don't even see it listed in the regs though so maybe it's still dead?
Old 07-05-2018, 12:58 PM

Went for a drive to ironwood last winter or the one before.... was an ice shack out there..... so that’s a good sign. I’m curious too.
Old 07-05-2018, 01:14 PM

Not sure about a launch at Rich lake. It was still a slough a few years ago so I wouldn't hold my breath. Same thing with French Lake.

Good to go on Ironwood. The launch is okay but shallow so anything more than say a 17.5 footer could have problems. Just watch bottoming out coming in as in shut it off early and coast or row up the rest.

Ironwood the fish are small. Might have grown up a bit but my last time was 3 years ago and I got tired for C&Ring small pike and walleye. Pretty boring but I hope they took steroids if you do go
Old 07-05-2018, 02:41 PM

16.5' with a 70hp merc and a superduty so as long as the launch isn't retarded I'm good usually.
I've never fished ironwood so think I might give it a go....I prefer the smaller lakes and it's closer to Fork than manitokan tucker or crane (which I have all fished before).
Old 07-06-2018, 10:35 AM

Default Ironwood

Lots of medium sized walleye in Ironwood, catch lots by the islands. Many 19" pike trolling along the shore line. I've never caught a big one there in the past. It is a great little lake though.

Davef
Old 07-06-2018, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlee View Post
16.5' with a 70hp merc and a superduty so as long as the launch isn't retarded I'm good usually.
I've never fished ironwood so think I might give it a go....I prefer the smaller lakes and it's closer to Fork than manitokan tucker or crane (which I have all fished before).
You'll be good then and you will like it. In addition to the island, you will see on a depth chart a point that goes across the Northern end of the lake. Careful as it may be out of water or just under the surface. If you can learn the structure and troll along it in 15-18 FOW...walleye haven. You need a good finder though. If you need a rest break the North shore is a good place to beach on sand. You can wade out and cast from shore to catch some pike as well..nice drop off there.
Old 07-06-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
You'll be good then and you will like it. In addition to the island, you will see on a depth chart a point that goes across the Northern end of the lake. Careful as it may be out of water or just under the surface. If you can learn the structure and troll along it in 15-18 FOW...walleye haven. You need a good finder though. If you need a rest break the North shore is a good place to beach on sand. You can wade out and cast from shore to catch some pike as well..nice drop off there.
Thanks..... just hitting the road now should get in a few hours fishing on Fork tonight and tomorrow morning....then maybe head to ironwood tomorrow afternoon.
Old 07-09-2018, 12:23 PM

Well with the off an on thunderstorms Saturday we never made it over to Ironwood....next time maybe....but the fishing at Fork was good as usual. Probably put 70-80 pike in the boat in about 10 hours of total fishing between 2 of us...and another 20 or so that wiggled free short of the net. That lake is absolutley polluted with 18"-30" pike.....kept a couple nice 21-22" for a fry (cant keep above 24") and let 2 or 3 28"-30" go. All in all a good weekend.
Old 07-09-2018, 01:54 PM

Good to hear. Fork is always fun. You will like Ironwood then since it is smaller fish too and lots of them. You will have the added enjoyment of walleye too