Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-12-2018, 04:15 PM

Default New angler needs tips on how to fish at the Glenmore Reservoir

Hi all, just signed up but been browsing this forum for years.
Have a 7' skiff that I've taken to Glenmore Reservoir in Calgary a few times, to row about. This year I want to start fishing and my 6 year old is really excited about it (we took a short "course" on the basics this weekend and he's hooked).

I understand the water level may be down but am still able to launch my little boat by hand and allow the little guy to cast away. What kind of hook should we be using? I hear some here having success with a 5 of diamonds, as pike seems to be prominent. But do we want to use live worms? He was given a starter kit containing pink marshmallows, but these seem to melt too fast. We don't really care what we catch, but would like to land something - anything.

We're brand new to fishing. Any tips on what we should be using to have a fun day and hopefully catch something that we could either keep or release would greatly add to his experience. Last thing I want is to frustrate him by using the wrong gear and have him lose interest, so if we're able to catch something, that could go long ways towards keeping his interest. We plan to launch from the Heritage park launch and row a few hundred metres. Are we better off staying close to shore? Ok to let the boat drift while casting? Any tips greatly appreciated, even if they seem crudely basic.
Old 07-12-2018, 04:54 PM

Casting away with a small spoon size 0 or 00 Len Thompson or plug should get you a pike. you could troll to but I would do that with a plug spoons would have a tendency to twist the line.

You have probably noticed the broad leave weed if not, start looking! pike fisherman call it cabbage and that is typically where you will find pike, fish the edges of the beds and you should be golden.

Good luck
Old 07-12-2018, 07:49 PM

Look on google and you can see the river bed. I have always had success around there. 5 of diamonds I think is a good spoon that everyone has and everyone has caught plenty of fish with. This year I have been catching lots with my trout spinners from shore near the rowing club. Never fished from a boat but sounds like people catch fish just about everywhere. There are lots of little pike to catch. Best is Morning and evening
Old 07-12-2018, 07:50 PM

Also can always trying jigging the bottom
Old 07-12-2018, 10:37 PM

Great, thanks for the tips. I've seen plenty of this cabbage while rowing there, even pointed it to my kids when I had them in the skiff.

I do have some spoons and will buy a five of diamond - guessing around 2" long. What about adding a bait to the hook? There was no mention of what kind to use. Or do I even need to? According to the regs, it says this for bait: Allowed (except bait fish)

Does this I could use a live worm? Frankly I'd rather not mess with worms unless it'd increase my chances of landing a nice one greatly. Or if bait is necessary, would a small ball of bread do the trick?

Btw the plans may have changed: now we may be heading to Ghost Lake with the powerboat on the weekend instead, now that the water level is back to normal (as of today!)

But nonetheless we will be making several trips to Glenmore, since it's only a 5 minute drive and I getting the skiff out is so much easier than the big boat, not to mention a far more relaxing atmosphere and great quality time with my kids.

It is so nice to have these options. It's so nice to finally get into fishing.
PS: will update this thread when I we head up and hopefully will be able to post a few pics of the catches (fingers crossed!)
Old 07-13-2018, 09:00 AM

The bait but no bait fish rule is one of the more counter intuitive rules in Alberta. So that means you can use smelt or mackerel but not minnows.

Pike are ambush feeders so bait on a spoon is not really needed. it's more important to get into the habit of varying your retrieve especially if you are getting followers but no bites. Even just getting in the habit of 3-4 turns pause give it a flutter or 2 and repeat will go a long way.

One of my favs is ripping a blue/silver rattle trap(no7) cast it out , let it sink, pull back sharply then as it is sinking again real up the slack.
Old 07-13-2018, 01:32 PM

Ahh so the trick is to mimic a real bait fish. Gotcha. Will try the techniques you mentioned, although it may prove too advanced for my 6 and 8 year olds in their first outing. Which btw, will be tomorrow at Ghost Lake reservoir.

Posting a couple of pics of what I have for lure. Not shown are tons of fly lures (only a small portion shown in the pic). I have a fly fishing rod, around 8 or 9' long. From the pics, would you say that any of these lures would be a good match? If not I can make a quick run to Can Tire and grab the 0 or 00 Lea Thompson you mentioned, as well as a 5 of diamonds.

If a pike proves too tricky for my kids, would any of the smaller lures in the pic be good bets for them? If you could please point out which if any of these work, that'd be great. Else I'll get some proper ones before we head out.

Btw the kids are very happy to head out tomorrow. As am I as this will be the first time this year on the boat.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lures-1.jpg (38.6 KB, 82 views)
File Type: jpg lures-2.jpg (48.4 KB, 61 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 02:51 PM

OK I just had a “well duh!” moment, a good place to take kids so they have fun fishing is the drop off just off shore from the Pigeon Lake Provincial Park boat launch. It’s a bit of a drive from Calgary but it would be a bad day if you did not catch 10-20 walleye in a couple of hours. The drop off is maybe 200 yards off shore and so popular it should be very apparent where it is. Just paddle out anchor up and drop a jig and a minnow over the side any jig and minnow within 3’ of the bottom will get bit.

¼ oz or 3/8oz Florescent Yellow jig head, 3” twistertails a couple of tubs of minnows and you are set

A slip bobber could be useful for the kids, the bobber going down is always exciting for kids.

I was there a couple of weeks ago with my kid (22 now) and we had a hoot, a 2 min paddle with the kayaks and we were fishing.

And as a side note the last time I saw there were still class c tags available for Pigeon so you could take some fish home. Though the problem with class c tags is catching fish small enough 😊 .

Good luck with ghost it’s a tough lake to fish, pretty though.
Old 07-13-2018, 03:35 PM

I personally would not take kids wanting to catch fish to ghost res. Its a tough lake.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Old 07-13-2018, 07:04 PM

As a matter of fact we'll be camping at Gull Lake again next month and since Pigeon is only 45 min away, we may head there for the day. We plan to bring the skiff so it could come handy. With our lack of experience and choice of lakes (Ghost and Glenmore) it may be just the remedy to address what could be disappointed kids. But will try out best to land something tomorrow. I even picked up a couple of additional lures from the dollar store. Please refer to the pics. Would these be good bets?

Keep in mind the rods the kids are using are only 5'-6" long, medium action. Think the line is 6 to 10lbs but I just bought a roll of 15lbs test. The 6yo will be using a spincast (push button style reel) and the 8yo will be on an open reel rod. Would these two lures shown here work for us? Or would some in the pics above work better for the kids?

I also picked up some 6" metal leaders. Should I add these? And as far as adding lead weight, is it necessary or are these lures I'm inquiring about be heavy enough?

Again, very basic questions here but key ones as I really am learning as I go along. All your help here is much appreciated.

Oh and yes, I have psyched the boys to not be too disappointed if we don't land a fish tomorrow. I'm sure the 6yo will be happy to just cast away. Nonetheless any time you're on the lake on a boat, it's a good day no matter what.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lures-3.jpg (44.3 KB, 37 views)
Old 07-13-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elchinodiablo View Post
I personally would not take kids wanting to catch fish to ghost res. Its a tough lake.

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk
Why is that? Is this due to overfishing? Or the fact that the water just got back to its normal level and may confuse the fish?
I have a fancy fish finder but I must confess I don't know how to use it I mostly use it for reading the depth and the water temp. We enjoy taking the boat to the very edge of the lake, where the river feeds into it (north end). You often see folks casting there, so I was thinking in hitting that spot. If you can share some locations that may increase our chances, I'm all ears.
Old 07-14-2018, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joolz View Post
As a matter of fact we'll be camping at Gull Lake again next month and since Pigeon is only 45 min away, we may head there for the day. We plan to bring the skiff so it could come handy. With our lack of experience and choice of lakes (Ghost and Glenmore) it may be just the remedy to address what could be disappointed kids. But will try out best to land something tomorrow. I even picked up a couple of additional lures from the dollar store. Please refer to the pics. Would these be good bets?

Keep in mind the rods the kids are using are only 5'-6" long, medium action. Think the line is 6 to 10lbs but I just bought a roll of 15lbs test. The 6yo will be using a spincast (push button style reel) and the 8yo will be on an open reel rod. Would these two lures shown here work for us? Or would some in the pics above work better for the kids?

I also picked up some 6" metal leaders. Should I add these? And as far as adding lead weight, is it necessary or are these lures I'm inquiring about be heavy enough?

Again, very basic questions here but key ones as I really am learning as I go along. All your help here is much appreciated.

Oh and yes, I have psyched the boys to not be too disappointed if we don't land a fish tomorrow. I'm sure the 6yo will be happy to just cast away. Nonetheless any time you're on the lake on a boat, it's a good day no matter what.
I would leave the lighter line on the reels and use the 15lbs as leader. Tie on a 2’ piece of 15lbs on the end of your line and check it for damage regularly. You can use steel leaders but I prefer just using a heavier line as it’s less visible. Pike have nasty teeth so they bite through light line. Everyone has their favourite lures for pike but they really aren’t picky. As for other fish it’s a lot more technical. I have fished ghost several times and every time no fish. That sounds like most peoples experience. Not sure why but it’s not a good beginner lake. Looks like you have some lures that will work for pike and trout. Another good place to go for trout would be chain lakes. It’s 1.5 hrs from Calgary. Maybe less for you. Probs about the same as ghost from where you are. I would pick that over ghost. Just check the weather. It can get windy. Also willow creek the flows out of the dam there is good. Haven’t fished it since they put in the new dam but it has always been really good in the past. Just throw some small spinners and spoons. I can’t see the pictures of the flies well enough to say they are good but you can always give them a go with the fly rod or a bobber on a spinning rod. Anyways sounds like you will have fun either way.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:05 AM

Ended up going to Glenmore after all. With the strong breeze early this afternoon we didn't bother trying Ghost. Kids quite enjoyed being on the skiff and stayed on the water for just over an hour, with short breaks in between as I rowed back into position, as the wind was pushing us away - note to self: get an anchor. Not a single bite, which wasn't a surprise. Water was murky, could barely seen anything. Never seen it this dark before which meant not being able to see the cabbage. I have a second, basic fish finder that I plan to bring next time. Should make it easier to locate the cabbage patches.

It was a good time and no, the kids didn't bother not getting a single bite and it didn't diminish their enthusiasm. So I'm relieved. We plan to hit Ghost next week and that should make things a lot easier for us, as for one, they'll be able to stand up while casting as our boat has plenty of room (it's also an open bow so that ought to minimize accidents by having one kid on either end of the boat). Not being able to stand on a tiny skiff in order to cast made things hard for them, with me constantly having to untangle their lines.

But a great start nonetheless. You guys here gave me some great info and the encouragement to try it out. I call this a good day. Plenty more to come.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lds View Post
Another good place to go for trout would be chain lakes.
Yes, we were at Chain a couple of years ago and did see a lot of folks fishing, in boats and from the shore. Guess this is an indication the place has fish. Nice place to head for the day but I may bring the skiff instead of the powerboat - cruising at the max allowed speed of 12km/h is painful on my 115HP Johnson.

I have a couple of marine batteries and a trolling motor. Should get the little skiff around nicely (although I can row faster than the motor can push the boat). That's now a plan to hit Chain sometime this year. Thanks for the tip.
Old 07-30-2018, 10:01 PM

Took the boat to Ghost Lake yesterday, parked it at half a dozen different spots and had the kids (and moi) cast for a few minutes at each stop. Not a single bite. Tried a variety of depths, from deep to as shallow as 1m and zippo.

You guys weren't kidding when you said Ghost is tough for fishing.

Next try: Chain Lakes, hopefully in a few days.

What is the best bet for fish out there, I'm assuming trout? Any tips on where a good spot would be to try our hand (will bring the boat)? Kids have been very good and they didn't let the lack of fish yesterday dumper their spirits. But want to play it safe and go somewhere where they stand a better chance of catching something.
Old 07-30-2018, 11:27 PM

That's why they call it fishin not catchin. Just do your own thing get out early and late, fish in the zone. Don't be dragging a spoon across the surface over 150 ft of water. Pay attention, switch it up. Sounds like you got the advantage of three rods on the boat. Put a black jig on one a yellow spoon on the other and a spinner or crankbait on the third troll along the edges of obvious weed lines or in 8 to 15 ft of water and if you don't catch a jackfish or any fish for that matter find a new hobby. Get the hooks back 50 to 100 feet behind the boat hold the rods steady and just enough speed to keep off the bottom. That's fishin. Use good line, good knots, when you finally hook up at least you got a chance of landing a fish. Don't try to catch a sturgeon with the SpongeBob rod....etc etc. Come on man.
Old 07-31-2018, 08:43 AM

If you want to catch pike closer to shore is a good bet. Cast some spoons (any spoons work) or try some crank baits. If you are buying some try the berkley flicker shades and minnows as they are much cheaper than rapala but work just as well. If you don't mind spending some $$ the rapala ripping raps in size 7 are hard to beat. Cast out let it hit bottom. Lift your rod about a foot if using braided line or RIP it up if using mono. Let it fall on a slack line. Reel in the slack. Rinse repeat until at the boat. If that doesn't work let it sink a little and do a slow retrieve. The rattle in those is like no other. Attracts from far. As for colours. I like the fire tiger, red crawdad, silver.

Other option is larger spinners. Cast out and slow retrieve

Good luck

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk