Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 03:00 PM
Banned

Exclamation DFO Poises To Close Huge Offshore Areas

I know many from Alberta who come out to play offshore the Island for springs, coho, halibut, lings and more. So I thought it might be prudent to let you all in on what DFO (in conjunction with Parks Canada) are proposing of late. Massive Area closures that is...

DFO & Parks Canada are about to ram yet another series of closures for fishing through. Fin Fish Closures from Long Beach, South Bank, Big Bank, Rats Nose all the way to Swiftsure. This based upon both sketchy information, and in even larger areas, no information at all.

Time to tell DFO we won't sit idly by while they take the "don't confuse me with facts" approach and adopts "assumption based science" once again.

“B.C.’s tidal water recreational fishery, combined with the freshwater fishery, is the largest and most valuable in Canada, valued at $18 billion annually. DFO issues over 350,000 tidal licences per year collecting $7.3 million in fees and the fishery employs around 8,400 British Columbian’s (as of 2012).”

· Area SRKW Refuge Recreational Fin Fish Closures will cause significant socio-economic harm destroying jobs and economic spin off activities in small coastal communities like Ucluelet, Port Alberni, Bamfield, Port Renfrew, Sooke and Victoria.

· Killer whales are only very rarely present on LaPerouse Bank, and there is no documented evidence from passive acoustic monitoring to clearly demonstrate this is actually critical habitat. DFO science is making an assumption that because areas of LaPerouse Bank are important areas for commercial and recreational Chinook fishing that they area similarly important to killer whales.

· According to Passive Acoustic Monitoring (PAM), killer whales are only present on Swiftsure Bank 43% of monitored days between May to September – broad Area Refuge closures impact recreational fishing opportunity during significant periods where the whales are not present.

· There is no comparative analysis that demonstrates the effectiveness of Area Closure vs a mobile “bubble” strategy

· More effort is required to scientifically determine if indeed there is any less benefit to be achieved using a “bubble” strategy which is less impactful – striking a balance between protection and economic activity

External review of the critical habitat section of the draft Amended Recovery Strategy for the Northern and Southern Resident Killer Whales in Canada:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consult...index-eng.html

Comment Section:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/forms/s...ahier-eng.aspx

This has absolutely ZERO to do with "conservation". Parks Canada has had this on their Agenda for years and now is in bed with DFO using improper science to push this forward. It is PURELY POLITICAL and will NOT result in any significant help to the whales in question. DFO's own biologists have pointed this out repeatedly. Their scientists are being purposely ignored by their Political Masters. PATHETIC!

There is no intent to limit shipping, simply a total finfish closure (No Fishing for all but one sector).

The Bubble strategy is to remain a minimum of 3-500 yards from any whales encountered. Something the whale watchers fought tooth & nail, and apparently they carry more sway with the politico's than fishing folks.

This is a completely draconian move by DFO to support Parks' vision of a large marine park that they control.

From page 61 of the Killer Whale Recovery Strategy, designed in cooperation with DFO & Parks Canada:

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/consult...ulards-eng.pdf

For this post I won't bother (yet) pointing out the many discrepancies in said Strategy...

Area proposed for this closure (does not reflect inside closures already in place, nor ones proposed for the areas north of Vancouver Island).

July 11 Comment Deadline...

And that ain't so damn cheery...
Nog
Old 07-04-2018, 03:20 PM
Banned

Arrow

Here's the link to the comment section. Damn good idea to remember to tell them how few (if any) killer whales you have seen out there in your thousands upon thousands of trips to these areas!

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/forms/s...ahier-eng.aspx

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-10-2018, 01:22 PM
Banned

Arrow

Just in the off case anyone is even slightly interested...

Deadline for comments is TOMORROW Folks.

Fed's fast-tracking us right into oblivion it seems...

Nog
Old 07-10-2018, 02:57 PM

This is bad !! .
The feds are a one way street. Take take and never give.
Damn granolas!!
Old 07-10-2018, 05:05 PM

Sheez a sign of the times. Our coal mines shutting down oil patch hurting like never before in alberta...really don't feel too sorry for the guides and commercial guys. Get another job that's what my government told me. As far as the recreational guys. I gotta drive 3 hrs to keep a runty fish if I wanna eat fish, I guess you do too now. Welcome to the world of the modern day power of the government. Sucks when someone takes your way of life away doesn't it?
Old 07-10-2018, 05:46 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikeman06 View Post
... Sucks when someone takes your way of life away doesn't it?
Speaks volumes when all you can add is to suggest others should share your own misery and suck it up. Some of us have two hind legs, prefer to stand on them, and are more than willing to fight for our way of life. Shame we all don't, for if we did, collectively we'd scare the hell out of them...

Have a great day,
Nog
Old 07-10-2018, 07:48 PM
AO Sponsor

I wish I seen your post earlier before I wrote mine.
Old 07-11-2018, 12:14 PM
Banned

Arrow

Many Thanks to those that stood up and got their comments in. It is truly appreciated! It seems these days more and more our governments seem to believe they can simply govern us like sheep, with no consideration of the consequences of their actions. Many are starting to rebel against such control, and demanding accountability. My hat is off to those from here who join us in doing so in these matters!!

Deadline for Comments is TODAY Folks!

Again, many Thanks to those who chose to help us fight this nastiness...
Matt
Old 07-11-2018, 10:13 PM

Hey not meaning to offend. That's just the way it goes guys. Never mind about my two legs I won't even get started on it. Tough to please every one isn't it? I guess someone with more decision making power than you or me decided feeding whales your salmon where whales don't even exist, is more important than preserving a way of life or suppOrting your family. Us albertans had the rug pulled right from under us bud and the property values also took a huge hit in some areas. At least I'm not hanging from a bridge saying you shouldn't make a living killing salmon.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:48 AM
Banned

Thumbs up

Quote:
Hey not meaning to offend.
Apologies if I read what you posted wrong.
I have many good friends that live in Alberta due to having lived there quite the spell myself. And I understand the trials many are facing over there reasonably well. Of course I hope that turns around for the benefit of all involved, but I simply don't see that happening until we all get shed of Pierre's Idiot Child and his incompetent ensemble.

Quote:
... At least I'm not hanging from a bridge saying you shouldn't make a living killing salmon.
And the vast majority of us who live in BC ain't hanging off that bridge, nor offering those professional protesters any support (the majority were not even from BC, and financed by US interests btw...).

We have faced threats to our livelihoods and lifestyles before, and we will again. The disruption this proposal will cause if approved is both huge and unacceptable. Many, including myself, have vowed to fight it to the very end. The groundswell grows daily now, and this matter is far from over. Will we prevail? Who knows. But we are certainly going to give it our best shot!

No hard feelings between you and I. We are both caught up in whirlwinds not of our making. I hope the storm settles soon in both our cases...

Again, a show of appreciation for those from here who sent in their comments to help. Thank you so much for doing so! Rest assured many of us are also working on changes here that might benefit us all down the road...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-12-2018, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronNoggin View Post
And the vast majority of us who live in BC ain't hanging off that bridge, nor offering those professional protesters any support (the majority were not even from BC, and financed by US interests btw...)
Could be so, but then again a large portion of the BC population voted for the political party(s) in currently in power fully knowing the platform they stood for and the path they most likely were going to go down.

I as well do not intend to offend, but there is no chance in hell I'm supporting anything west of the continental divide at least for this hombre.

At the end of the day hopefully the "vast majority" that you reference to make it count with your voices today and during the next round of elections (both provincially and federally). Until then... take care and best of luck.
Old 07-12-2018, 01:56 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penner View Post
... I as well do not intend to offend, but there is no chance in hell I'm supporting anything west of the continental divide at least for this hombre.
Whatever.

Thankfully, there are many who can see beyond the BS involved, and still are able to offer support to the Common Man they share so much with.

Quote:
At the end of the day hopefully the "vast majority" that you reference to make it count with your voices today and during the next round of elections (both provincially and federally).
I do believe that was rather overtly referred to in the last line of my most recent post above.
I wish you all the best for dealing with your current situation in this regard as well.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-12-2018, 03:52 PM

My brother in law who lives on the south end of the island told me his favourite spots just got closed. He is so ****ed he is about to sell his beautiful boat. He has fished there for over 30 years. This will kill a lot of income in the area as well
Old 07-12-2018, 04:03 PM

Sorry to hear that things went South out there Nog, I know that you are as much of a true Canadian as many of us on this forum.

Sometimes people forget that BC voted in Cristy Clark by majority,,, its was a political take over when the other 2 parties joined hands.

I've chatted with Nog on different forums over the years, he's a awesome fellow that has shared with other on this forum and others.

A real down to earth dude with out door living in his mind and hart. Definitely a stand-up guy.

Don
Old 07-12-2018, 10:00 PM

To clarify I have nothing against Nog. I'm sure he is a stand-up fellow. I feel I'm a stand-up guy and have pure red and white running thru my veins as well.

A lot of good people out in BC and for those hard working honest folks whom are reasonable and think/act rationally I certainly sympathize with, I'm sincerely concerned for, and wish them nothing but the best.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:10 PM

Me as well

Nog has shared some awesome info with us over the years, an incredible rifle build, he's an out doors fellow much like us.

Hunting, fishing, camping, archey by bow and cross bow. And Hard working.

A stand up fellow that I've yet to meet in person.
My take of him.

Nog has shared lots of info on our archery forum, he seem kind harted and has taken the time to show his Christmas spirit on this forum to each and all.

Hart Spark to the fullest.

It doesn't seem fare to label him as a left or right since many of us have more in common then apart.

Nog is much like us, hard working family dude with ideas of spending time in the wilds. Purhaps the type of fellow that hopes he has common friends not only in BC, but Alberta, Western Canada and probably around the world.

I'm hounered and humbled to of chatted freely with him a few times over the years on this forum as well as the other we've both came across.

Helpful indeed to all that wander all side of his foot prints.

Nog would most likely say, "Canada is a Great Place to Be From."

I'm lucky to know of such a man.

Last edited by Don_Parsons; 07-12-2018 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-12-2018, 11:59 PM

Oh for sure. I'm great too. Maybe just a little more blunt than the average Joe. I worked my fingers to the bone helped out my friends, supported my family, paid my taxes you name it bud. The rod fees on these classified waters to your albertan "friends" and the resistance to this pipeline that I know dam well will be close to half British Columbia boys on the construction end has divided us. Sit in crows nest pass and look at the license plates headed west, ask the guides from Rupert south where the better half of their buisness is from and has always been? Alberta. Take your lumps and sell your boats and houses for pennies on the dollar. Move your kids, find a new job. It's all good, sunny ways.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:47 AM

Nog,

Thank you sharing this information with us. Albertans, British Columbians share one unfortunate thing in common nowadays - our fisheries are under extreme pressure. Closures are being proposed - but only to recreational fishers - while rights of other focus groups continue to be expanded with enforcement being only talked about - not actually enacted.

Our government agencies don't seem to think that they should be sharing their plans until they enact them. Keep quiet and push through plans that impact us Canadians who value the outdoor resource.

Information sharing will be key. Getting your voice out there as a collective voice seems to be the only way that our government will listen. It is a sad state we are living with right now.

When you bring information forward, you will unfortunately encounter many uninformed, opinionated people who will misdirect your thread. Don't get distracted by the few. Realize that we outdoorsmen share many of the same values and respect for the environment - we keep getting pushed to the bottom of the priority listing. Keep the information coming.

We will have much more clout as a unified group. Information is the start.
Old 07-13-2018, 02:56 PM
Banned

Arrow

Thanks for the kind words Don, they are appreciated.
I try, and apparently some realize that it seems...

For the record, I certainly would not ever vote for the likes of the two we have running our current coalition, nor our federal quagmire.
Just wanted to get that out there so some might recognize where I come from...

Quote:
... Move your kids, find a new job. It's all good, sunny ways.
While I do understand your grievances, I am in no way whatsoever responsible for any of them. And I deal with many ongoing and pressing issues myself. What I don't much agree with is becoming bitter over that, and then refusing to help like-minded folks who care about many of the exact same things you do. We have more in common than not, and I believe we'd likely get along just fine over a campfire. That said, for your own sanity, I would suggest finding some other way to deal with these issues...

[QUOTE=yetiseeker;3811266]... Our government agencies don't seem to think that they should be sharing their plans until they enact them. Keep quiet and push through plans that impact us Canadians who value the outdoor resource.[/quoute]

Exactly. Far to much of this occurring these days alright.
Their sense of entitlement is overwhelming, and their sense of arrogance is beyond nauseating. Time we stand up to them with a united front. Doing otherwise is simply not an option if we are to carry the day...

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-14-2018, 08:39 PM

To my understanding offshore fish is a federal fisherie and belongs to all Canadians it’s in there interest to not only protect but be able to enjoy the fishing. I’ve been going to Prince Rupert every year for close to 20 years now and it keeps getting a little worse every year. I’ve been looking and unable to find anything on commercial quotas being cut back so the lucrative an enjoyable sport fishing can stay afloat. I support the guides making a living ( most of them anyway) but would love to see the commercial guys cut back some and sports fishing kept sustainable.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:45 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
... I’ve been looking and unable to find anything on commercial quotas being cut back so the lucrative an enjoyable sport fishing can stay afloat. I support the guides making a living ( most of them anyway) but would love to see the commercial guys cut back some and sports fishing kept sustainable.
LOL! Here's a little FYI for you...

The recreational sector has been harvesting more springs than any other sector for some time now.

For instance: Area G Troll (the sector in this effected area) had its' quota cut by 75% this year. Most of that was "gifted" to FN organizations as they just received federal support for their new commercial fisheries (A quick besides the point here: Hand in hand with that ruling the Judge demanded DFO rework the allocation hierarchy such that it will now be: 1) Conservation, 2) FN Food Social Ceremonial (FSC) fisheries, 3) FN Commercial Fisheries, 4) Recreation Fisheries, and finally 5) regular Commercial Fisheries. DFO is scrambling now to make this adjustment as fast as possible).

So, what that equates to is that Area G will see their entire fleet's annual quota reduced to a maximum of 15,000 springs total. About a decent week's fishing for the entire year. Many are scrambling to get out as a consequence.

Conversely, the recreational sector is poised to remove between 50,000 to 60,000 springs this year alone.

Pretty easy to see just who has the greater impact on the stocks.
And pretty easy to determine from that just WHO the target for reductions (via reduced limits and forced area closures such as the one noted in this thread) are.

Like it or not, the recreational sector must stand shoulder to shoulder with the real commercial sector before it is simply all over for both of them.

Cheers,
Nog
Old 07-15-2018, 02:10 PM

Default Governmental snow flakes hold all the cards now.

I hate to say it but I believe this matter is already settled if you think your going to win right now over the alternative harvesters of the fisheries your wrong.
There is no shame in trying... but I think it’s a lost battle, look at the grizzly hunt and soon to be many areas for moose. This snow ball has started rolling down the hill and it’s only getting larger.
I would express exactly how I feel about it here but I would be banned in short order.
I already expressed my opinion to the government with comments but I’m sure that just hit the trash bin.
Enjoy what outdoor adventures you have left because before to long they will be gone at least for your average tax paying citizen.

Welcome to Communism where the government owns all lands and waterways.
Old 07-15-2018, 02:47 PM

Thanks for the information I personally do t have an issue in smaller limits for salmon and I try to avoid catching rockfish. Do you have any information on commercial halibut quotas and size requirements for them if there is any.
Old 07-15-2018, 04:04 PM
Banned

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMX View Post
Thanks for the information I personally do t have an issue in smaller limits for salmon and I try to avoid catching rockfish. Do you have any information on commercial halibut quotas and size requirements for them if there is any.
I am not as much as involved with the Halibut issue at this point.
I can say that there is all likelihood that fishery (recreational) will be shut down by mid-August this year. And personally I am all for that. Making the recreational catch "fit" what the government lets them have (after the lion's share is handed over to many who do not even fish commercially) is a mistake IMHO. Shut it down. Pee the Common Man right off by doing so. That is the only way I see sufficient pressure ever developing to do anything but continue the current BS strategy.

Commercial halibut quota is more leased than owned, and that at extravagant prices.
They are held to whatever they can lease (own in some few exceptions).
They get pennies on the pound compared to the "Slipper Skipper" who is not present fishing, but leases REAL fishermen that quota. They have zero size restrictions.

BuckCuller: When Fish Are Outlawed... ;-)

Cheers,
Nog