Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Trapping Discussion

Old 11-18-2012, 07:32 AM

Default Good Run

Yes, this is one of the better threads I have read on this forum. I just got back from a 2 day day run on the line. Had a memorable catch of 18 marten, 1 fisher and 4 ermine from 85 sets. Seems to be quite an influx of tourist marten this year - lots of big males. Not sure where they came from, although one trapper from near Jasper Pk says his population is down dramatically. Hope they stay for awhile. Re: percentage catch (Brians), lets see..... that would be 22% not incl. the ermine. Pretty close!

Lynx population appears to be double last years.. tracks everywhere. Lots of ermine too, low on squirrel.

I was reading NAFA fur market update last night.. sure looks like the market is holding nicely. Cold in China I guess and garmet sales are going well.

Checking a few rat subs with my daughter this morning.
Old 11-18-2012, 08:13 AM

Default Great thread

This is a great thread I look forward to pics. It would be great to see ongoing pics and then an end of year pic from each trapper with their seasons catch.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:14 PM

Just back from the martin line -
97 martin sets -

16 - martin
6 - squirrel
1 -weasel

Wolves have been moving through but can't hang neck ties till Dec.1
Lots of rabbits and good lynx sign.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:40 AM
Banned

How does one go about getting into trapping? Where would you apply to get your designated line and where could you get your trappers permit/class?
Old 11-19-2012, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
How does one go about getting into trapping? Where would you apply to get your designated line and where could you get your trappers permit/class?
Trappers liscence is no prob. Take the course or challenge. You won't have much luck applying for a dedicated line! Gotta buy one
Old 11-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Trappers liscence is no prob. Take the course or challenge. You won't have much luck applying for a dedicated line! Gotta buy one
Thank you! Where would you look to find lines for sale?
Old 11-19-2012, 08:49 AM

Back from the line, we had a young trapper along this time. It was his first time on a trapline, I think he really enjoyed it, and prob hooked for life.

Had a good check on the line, fresh snow was nice to see tracks.
Explored some new area with alot of Marten sign, so we set more traps in the area. Ran out of boxes so we set some free standing traps on a leaning tree with a willow running underneath through the springs eyes to hold it. Tied some beaver below and see what happens.

Running 75 sets now and waiting for Lynx opener.
Had one weasel eaten, better than a marten .

8 Marten
6 Weasel
2 Squirrel
1 Fisher
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0843.jpg (80.2 KB, 383 views)
Old 11-19-2012, 09:27 AM

Couple pics from the line

bridge pic.JPG

Marten pic.JPG
Old 11-19-2012, 10:06 AM

Keep it up guys! Gotta get my 12 yearold niece her first buck and maybe one for her uncle then I'm hitting the line. Got 40 marten boxes waiting to go and snares are ready. Just gotta chop up some beaver for the lynx cubbies and I'll be ready.
Work has our Christmas party Dec.1 and I said I won't be there. Why? they asked. Cause I'll be in the bush all day till dark that day and the next! It's what a trapper does.
Old 11-19-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutter87 View Post
Thank you! Where would you look to find lines for sale?
I found mine on Kijiji. Join the ATA and their magazine has a classified section at the back with some lines for sale. Start saving your penny's now though, they aren't cheap
Old 11-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torkdiesel View Post
I found mine on Kijiji. Join the ATA and their magazine has a classified section at the back with some lines for sale. Start saving your penny's now though, they aren't cheap
Thats what I hear. Apparently you can't sell the line but you can sell the stuff (gear,cabin) that is on the line and transfer the right's.

Can you use the cabin outside of trapping season?

Say, You wanted to spend a week bowhunting at the end of August, Could you stay in the cabin for the week and use that as your base of operandi? I did hear that it was "illegal" or frowned upon to do that.

I know trapping is not overly profitable but I would like to do it for the experience, and the simple enjoyment of the outdoors.

Would also be nice to have a nice little get away in the middle of nowhere to go and relax.
Old 11-19-2012, 01:56 PM

Another thing to consider is that f&w possibly will not let a beginner trapper be the senior on a line with no experience. They have final say over the sale. As for using the trapper cabin out of trapping season for say hunting is not permitted, not to say that it doesn't happen, but the intent for a trapping cabin is to support trapping not to have your own little getaway for labour day long! I don't own a line but I am a jr on one. Would love to have my own someday but at least I have he opportunity to trap.
Old 11-19-2012, 02:05 PM

Time to get back on topic....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG-20121117-00443.jpg (87.2 KB, 368 views)
Old 11-19-2012, 02:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mark-edmonton View Post
Another thing to consider is that f&w possibly will not let a beginner trapper be the senior on a line with no experience. They have final say over the sale. As for using the trapper cabin out of trapping season for say hunting is not permitted, not to say that it doesn't happen, but the intent for a trapping cabin is to support trapping not to have your own little getaway for labour day long! I don't own a line but I am a jr on one. Would love to have my own someday but at least I have he opportunity to trap.
Ya, that's what I thought. Thanks for the help guys!
Old 11-19-2012, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
That looks like a Fisher in a Marten set! Must be a nice surprise.
Old 11-20-2012, 08:33 AM

Some northern Alberta back country.......Muskeg.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (27.8 KB, 323 views)
Old 11-20-2012, 09:09 PM

Default Trapping so far

It has been a great year so far. Learned a lot thanks to a lot of local trappers. Count so far 5 beaver, finally caught my first Marten on friday. Going to head back out this weekend as time allows and set that area really heavy as it is a small area. Waiting for a bit more snow and will set hard for dogs also. Also hoping to do some under ice beaver really soon.....Just have to get some meat for the freezer first.

Good luck everyone! And thanks a lot for all the help along the way Greg and Gary!
Old 11-24-2012, 07:17 AM

Default trapping report

Good job D Eagle! Sounds like you have found a good pocket of marten on private land.. good for all the guys that think you need a trapline to harvest marten. Oppurtunity exists throughout the ribbon of private land bordering crown land.

Hunting moose with dad for the last 4 days, plus prepping l ynx / wolf spots. Managed 8 marten, 2 ermine on trip... marten seemed to be moving again yesterday with a warm day trailing a couple of -20 days.

Continue to be impressed with the amt of fur in the bush this year. With hare population holding/increasing, grouse strong, deer increasing, mice (not sure).. Lynx up, Coyote/Fox up, Marten up, Fisher not sure, Ermine way up, Wolves flat or incr. (not sure yet) . Squirrel down.

Checking some subs this morning with my daughter. They have been working o.t. while I was gone. Hope carpet underlay/snow did its job and will reduce my chopping!

984 rats
9 Beaver
8 ermine
26 marten
1 fisher
42 Coyote
2 Fox
Old 11-24-2012, 06:42 PM

Garry you have had an unreal start to the season congrats! How was the trip with Brian who bought the days with you at the auction in Stettler? I don't start trapping my line untill Dec 1 when they close the road to the park. It seems like I leave things to the last minute to get ready, today I was putting dye on some new 330's. I move my cabin up real early Dec1 after they close the road and I will put a huge pile of bait out the same day for the critters to eat or wolves, 5 deer and 2 moose road kill. Here are a few pictures of my current cabin I haul in and one of the old cabin I used to use.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2669.JPG (107.0 KB, 338 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2677.JPG (121.6 KB, 399 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2456.JPG (149.5 KB, 382 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_1374.JPG (153.1 KB, 375 views)
Old 11-24-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South west trappin RG View Post
Garry you have had an unreal start to the season congrats! How was the trip with Brian who bought the days with you at the auction in Stettler? I don't start trapping my line untill Dec 1 when they close the road to the park. It seems like I leave things to the last minute to get ready, today I was putting dye on some new 330's. I move my cabin up real early Dec1 after they close the road and I will put a huge pile of bait out the same day for the critters to eat or wolves, 5 deer and 2 moose road kill. Here are a few pictures of my current cabin I haul in and one of the old cabin I used to use.

some great pix there friend .. love to see the family with you .. way cool for sure .. great little pull in cabin .. is the old one still on your line?
Old 11-25-2012, 09:22 PM

Well one marten this check. Also had the biggest weasel I've ever seen in one of my sets. Seems like there's not as much action as last year but that's probably cuz I got them all last year!
Old 11-25-2012, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 357xp View Post
Nice catch!
Old 11-26-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker0205 View Post
Iv never trapped but really want to get into it. For now all i can do is shoot. This is one target for the next few months. My goal is to make a blanket. Probably coyote and id love to be able to trap beaver and have a shaved beaver underside to it
....lol. Me too.
Old 11-28-2012, 05:30 AM

Default Southwest

Brian and I had a lot of fun, and had a decent run on the coyote line. His timing was good as deep snow made footholding pretty challenging just after he left. Highlight was probably RUM night, with many ATA members in the area coming over to visit Brian and celebrate my birthday. My wife Sara impressed me with a cake with a coyote, foothold, body grip trap decorations (icing). Thanks Brian for helping support the ATA with your generous winning bid at the ATA live auction!

Picked up some fox and coyote over the past 2 days in snares. Back to the trapline today. Hope this snowstorm warning is not to bad!
Old 11-30-2012, 07:01 PM

Default 28 below

Out at the line cabin for nite, picked up some fur on the way in.....sure glad there's a cabin out here, mighty chilly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fisher%20%232.jpg (85.0 KB, 273 views)
Old 12-01-2012, 03:46 PM

Well had some time on my hands so I managed to set up a beaver trap and
snares for coyote!!

See what that brings me!

Old 12-02-2012, 11:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
Not a bad day today. Getting to warm coyotes are slowing down. Then again maybe just caught the local ones faster this year.

2 marten and 2 fox

17 coyotes
4 marten
2 fox
1 fisher
9 rats
two beaver
The coyotes have still been slow for me the last two weeks. Only picked up 3 that were any good.
Seems to be lots of fox this year on the line picked up 4 more this week. This is getting me thinking that the coyote numbers are down. Only caught 4 fox all last year off the line and have already caught 4 at one bait station.

Had a run on fisher caught 4 the last two weeks, one more to reach quota. Picked up 3 more marten.

Set some lynx cubbies this weekend, looks to be lots of tracks and one crossed the road today in front of me. Hope to pick a couple up this week.

Set out a new bait station where the wolves were active, may get lucky a pick up one or two of them in the next few weeks.

Stay safe and good trapping TEH

20 coyotes
7 marten
6 fox
5 fisher
9 rats
2 beaver
1 weasel
Old 12-03-2012, 06:26 AM

Default Finally started

I was laying in bed Saturday morning thinking how cold it was and how much work it was going to be setting my line up. Thought about if it was really worth all the effort to put in. Should I scale things back this year and just do a bit around christmas?
Well I finally slapped the stupid out of myself and got my ass out of bed! Went hard all day Saturday and Sunday. Got out 38 marten sets, 4 fisher sets, 1 mink set and 7 lynx cubbies each with a weasel box. It's a good start, just have to wait and see what happens. Still have to get some more lynx cubbies and otters sets out. Also still have to get my bait station going but with all this snow may not get the truck in. Weather has definetly been changing my plans for this year.
Old 12-03-2012, 09:26 AM

We headed out this weekend, -26C and colder in the evening. Cut some new trail, now have a large loop complete so time to build more marten boxes. We made a groomer out of some logs and it seems it takes off the bumps, hoping to groom more next trip and get that trail like a race track...

Ended up with 9 Marten, 4 Weasel, 1 Fisher.
Set a bunch of Lynx cubbies, some snares as well.

Here is a pic of the line cabin with our catch. Nice and cozy at -28C.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_img_0872.jpg (105.8 KB, 312 views)
Old 12-03-2012, 03:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Elk Hunter View Post
The coyotes have still been slow for me the last two weeks. Only picked up 3 that were any good.
Seems to be lots of fox this year on the line picked up 4 more this week. This is getting me thinking that the coyote numbers are down. Only caught 4 fox all last year off the line and have already caught 4 at one bait station.

Had a run on fisher caught 4 the last two weeks, one more to reach quota. Picked up 3 more marten.

Set some lynx cubbies this weekend, looks to be lots of tracks and one crossed the road today in front of me. Hope to pick a couple up this week.

Set out a new bait station where the wolves were active, may get lucky a pick up one or two of them in the next few weeks.

Stay safe and good trapping TEH

20 coyotes
7 marten
6 fox
5 fisher
9 rats
2 beaver
1 weasel
Wow your season is off to a good start.....where abouts do you trap if you dont mind my asking?