Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-04-2018, 03:30 PM

Default Lesser Slave

Any fishing reports? I have a few families with kids that havn't fished much and plan on taking them out to catch some fish for their first time.
I have never fished it before. I imagine jigging minnows off the bottom is best for walleye?
Any thoughts on how to show these kids a good time?
And i I looked and it says limit is 1 walleye over 43cm and 3 pike over 55cm is that correct?
Hope we have some fun no matter what happens!
Old 07-04-2018, 05:19 PM

Fished Hillards bay lots always good out by Cutbank jigs and minnows or leaches.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:46 AM

Thanks. I will pick up some minnows and an extra rod or 2 for some of the kids that don't have one.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:48 AM

what part of the lake will you be on, and what size of a boat?
Old 07-05-2018, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Spruce View Post
what part of the lake will you be on, and what size of a boat?
18 Footer
South Side
Bought a bunch of jiggs and some minnows and a couple new rods for the kids.
Should have about 12-15 kids there and most hav enever caught a fish either. Should be fun if the weather is good and we catch some
Old 07-05-2018, 10:50 PM

Simplest way to get kids onto fish at slave is look for the pack of boats and head over there, stop on the outskirts, drop jig heads down with a minnow on it.
Old 07-05-2018, 11:07 PM

Last weekend we did really well with the walleye. North of driftpile point on the dropoff. Put in at Faust harbour and head straight north. White tail, green headed jig with small minnow. The limit is 1 and you have the sizes correct but always check the regs!!
Old 07-06-2018, 01:50 AM

Thanks guys. Got to love taking kids fishing. Especially when their parents don't know how to either. I think we will enjoy a good time.
Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 PM

The drop off is deffinatly starting to produce fish, especially when the shallower water is heavily stained from rainfall, but there should still be plenty of fish in the flats off of Devonshire Beach. With kids I find its often more simple fishing off of Devonshire or Northshore, keeping hooks where the fish are is a bit easyer at 8 feet than at 25 or so. Depending on how many people we have in the boat I either troll bottom bouncers and spinners, or use jigs tipped with a half crawler. White, black, and yellow are my best jig colors and in about that order.

If the flats aren't producing you can always motor out to Dog Island and try deeper water. Trolling spoons along the West side of the island usually picks up good numbers of pike, and can be a good way to salvage a day if all else fails.
Old 07-07-2018, 09:20 AM

Drop offs. Best producers for numbers and big fish was by far rapala jigging raps and shiver minnows. Cast either and hit bottom. Once on bottom do 2 rips and keep above bottom, reel in slack. Repeat until fish on or cast again. Most hits will be on the drop. Once you have got this cadence down you won't use bait. PM me for specific spots and I'll give you all of ours from this years fish. Many fish in the 55-58cm range this year

If you want to use jigs black with a minnow or chartreuse or orange. Orange and black were crazy this year

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Last edited by walleyechaser; 07-07-2018 at 09:28 AM.
Old 07-07-2018, 10:25 AM

You have got good fishing advice. Safety piece, Slave Lake can get VERY rough very fast. If weather starts blowing up the lake get off ASAP. It will go from little 2 foot waves to 15 foot rollers in less than twenty minutes under the right conditions and there are few sheltered places to land safely outside of the various marinas. The shallows extend well out into the lake and running in 3 to 6 feet of water with 8 foot waves takes a lot of experience or you end up grounded out.
Old 07-08-2018, 07:24 PM

Well I just got home!
Weather was real bad for the first 2 days and we didn't get out till day 2 right at the end of the day. Waves were real rough and we fished an hr with no luck so we packed it in.
Day 3 I took a new boat load of kids out and the weather was good but only had 2 hrs to fish. We tried drifting with one caught. We noticed others were anchored and jogging so we tried that and soon started to haul fish in. I had 5 kids and one adult and ended up with about 18 fish in an hr and a half.

All in all I got 10 kids and 3 adults out that never fish much at all. 3 kids caught their first fish ever!
Brought home 4 fish for a bite to eat and had a great day. Thanks for the advice and info guys. I found the best was brite green jig head with minnow and susspend it off the bottom. Caught a few with other stuff but the brite green was the way to go like some had told me
Old 07-08-2018, 11:23 PM

That’s great to hear love the fishing at slave lake but the weather could be a real B###CH