Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-14-2018, 07:06 PM

Default Minn Kota armature issue. I think

So I was fishing, and used my Power Drive V2 70 pound to travel about 100 yards in some rough water. My motor is 2008 but only used for the past 6 years really.
Anyways, I went to pull anchor and like a lazy idiot I went to motor up to the anchor so it wasn’t back Breaking to pull in.

After a min or so I noticed I wasn’t moving and looked to see the anchor line wrapped around the motor and possibly against the prop. Ideal situation to over-current an electric motor, yet that’s what the breaker is for. Or so I thought.

I pulled the motor out and tested the armature bars. 5 are at 1 ohm, yet 1 is at 4.5 ohms. I guess it doesn’t get better in terms of diagnosing the problem, but I’ve never tested a DC armature before and I’m wondering if that might be within acceptances, and I’m about to waste $150-$200 on an armature I don’t need. Brushes look fine, and the entire motor is clean.

I’ve hotwired the motor with 12-24v and nada. The relays click when the pedal is pressed, so I can’t see it being the foot pedal or the control board, yet I’ve read a few posts from people who’s “trolling motor just clicks” and it was the foot pedal or control board. Yet none of them have seen to done much diagnosis on them.

Any electrical experts, or anyone who knows these motors well, able to give me some reassurance?

TIA
Old 07-15-2018, 12:13 PM

The Reel Doctor

Address: 5408 53 Ave NW #3, Edmonton, AB T6B 3K1
Hours: Closed ⋅ Opens 9 a.m. Mon.
Province: Alberta
Phone: (780) 431-0146
Old 07-15-2018, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
The Reel Doctor

Address: 5408 53 Ave NW #3, Edmonton, AB T6B 3K1

Hours: Closed â‹… Opens 9 a.m. Mon.

Province: Alberta

Phone: (780) 431-0146

Thanks. I’m near Calgary and I don’t like asking professionals for free help. I’m sure they like it even less, lol.
If things didn’t look as nice as they do in the motor, I’d be reluctant to even spend money to fix it, yet I can only blame myself and the breaker from princess auto for it not working.
These are fairly simple in terms of repairing, the real challenge is only buying the parts needed. I ate a $200 loss on TV parts recently so I’m trying to make absolute sure I’m not wrong again.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:22 PM

In Calgary stop in at Auto Marine. They look after warranty work here and are usually pretty helpful too. May save you from having to rob a bank to get what you need locally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
Thanks. I’m near Calgary and I don’t like asking professionals for free help. I’m sure they like it even less, lol.
If things didn’t look as nice as they do in the motor, I’d be reluctant to even spend money to fix it, yet I can only blame myself and the breaker from princess auto for it not working.
These are fairly simple in terms of repairing, the real challenge is only buying the parts needed. I ate a $200 loss on TV parts recently so I’m trying to make absolute sure I’m not wrong again.
Old 07-15-2018, 05:34 PM

X2 in Calgary for sure take it to Auto Marine they will give you a quote before doing any work. Great service.
Old 07-15-2018, 07:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
In Calgary stop in at Auto Marine. They look after warranty work here and are usually pretty helpful too. May save you from having to rob a bank to get what you need locally.
Good service, nice people

Dodger.
Old 07-15-2018, 09:10 PM

So I got it working. For some reason didn’t take the brush holder out yet, but I’m still camping in my defense. Anyways I pulled it out and noticed the brushes wouldn’t slide. One was quite hard to move, the other took a small hammer and wood dowel to get it out. I filed the slots just enough so they’ll slide.
The slots looked like the edges had melted a little bit and when cooled seized the brushes.
Worth noting Minn Kota’s New replacement armature and brush holder, has a redesigned and larger brushes to better dissipate heat.
After my 5+ mins at full power I’m guessing my brushes got hot enough to slightly melt their slots, which are plastic. The slot edges had small ridges which is what pinched the brushes.
I wonder how many people ended up buying brushes or brush and armature sets, when they had the same issue? My brushes have lots of life left btw.
Thanks again for the suggestions and recommended places.